Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

ZimboDude
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot Help

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'd like some help please. I have set up an RB750R2 at home. Configuration is as follows:
Port 1 is my WAN - all is fine here
Port 2 (IP: 192.168.25.1) is my Plex server, IP address of Plex server is 192.168.25.2
Port 3 (IP: 192.168.30.1) is my LAN which is running a hotspot so that I can set a bandwidth cap of 5GB per user across my home network.

I have set everything up and all is working alright. The problem that I am having is that when I access my Plex server using an account on my hotspot, my bytes limit keeps track of the usage. I want to find out if there's a way that I can set my RB up so that the bytes limit will only track the data that goes out to the internet (WAN on Port 1) and ignore any data moving internally.

Basically, I have a 15GB cap on my net connection and I have three users set up on my hotspot so that each user gets the same cap of 5GB. At the moment if I access my Plex server across my network I hit the cap which is incorrect as I've not gone out to the internet.

I'd appreciate any help a lot!

Cheers,
ZimboDude

ZimboDude
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hotspot Help

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Is this possible?

ZimboDude
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Still trying top figure this one out..... Any ideas?

Help will be appreciated!

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Set your plex server ip în the same subnet as your clients network. Then set eher2 as a slave to ether3.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re:

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Set your plex server ip în the same subnet as your clients network. Then set eher2 as a slave to ether3.

And you'll need to go into hotspot > hosts and create a binding for the Plex server as "bypass" so that it isn't subject to the Hotspot.

15G cap? Is this an LTE connection? I'm steaming mad over Comcast having a 300GB limit. I had to go set Netflix to use medium quality just so I wouldn't go over the limit anymore...
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

ZimboDude
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Re:

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:02 am

And you'll need to go into hotspot > hosts and create a binding for the Plex server as "bypass" so that it isn't subject to the Hotspot.

15G cap? Is this an LTE connection? I'm steaming mad over Comcast having a 300GB limit. I had to go set Netflix to use medium quality just so I wouldn't go over the limit anymore...
Thanks everyone for your help! I will give it a try today.

Yes, 15GB cap! It's a fiber connection up to 20Mbps so you can imagine that doesn't last!! I'm in Zimbabwe :) And we share that cap between three of us... Basically just use it for Facebook and Skype though as I have uncapped internet at work where I download all my viewing material for my Plex server...

Thanks again guys!

Cheers

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:31 pm

wow - I bet you have to make sure facebook doesn't auto-play on videos, too.

Having fiber and a 15G limit would be like having a Ferrari and being told you can only drive it in the driveway.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

ZimboDude
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:06 pm

wow - I bet you have to make sure facebook doesn't auto-play on videos, too.

Having fiber and a 15G limit would be like having a Ferrari and being told you can only drive it in the driveway.
Lol, I know! I've got 100Mbps fiber at work, uncapped... Now that's quite nice :) Too expensive to justify those speeds and cap at home!