Community discussions

MikroTik App

s54mtb
just joined
Topic Author

Security and speed improvement for PTP over the hill

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello,

this is my firs post here. I have home LAN1 connected to WAN via firewall (RB850) and remote LAN2 behind high hill. On the top of the hill I have HAM (radioamateur) shack with mains supply and access to the antenna tower. I connected LAN1 and LAN2 with two pairs of mikrotik wireless links:
homelan-current.JPG
There are some issues I would like to overcome:

1. data rate between mountain station and LAN2
2. Technical security issues on the mountain top.

With 8km LOS and SXT Lite5 I got about 2-3Mbps upload / 4-6Mbps download rate on 5,8GHz and about 5-6Mbps upload and 10Mbps download on 5,2GHz. I moved router at LAN2 location around to different locations without significant improvement. The 20km LOS link between LAN1 and mountain top with 24dBi antennas works great.

Another issue are exposed LAN cables and easy access to SXT ethernet connector. I would like to move all LAN cables inside locked cabinet. I have one on the antenna mast and I would like to have only coaxial cables going out from this cabinet, no UTP cables. I marked public access area with orange and locked cabinet with green.

My idea is to replace second link from the mountain top to LAN2, remove SXT and place one RB with WiFi cards on the top of the mountain. I can place the RB inside cabinet and have only N connectors on the cabinet wall. Here is the photo of the cabinet:
homelan-gorj.JPG
My idea for new setup:
homelan-new.JPG
Is this OK? Do I need additional R11E-2hpnd attached to RB912 or is it possible to feed both antennas on the moutain top with only onboard WiFi on the RB912?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

TNX

73!
s54mtb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Security and speed improvement for PTP over the hill

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:44 am

I wouldn't use rb + card + pigtails + external coax + external antenna... too many points of possible failure. And people also know how to unscrew an N connector or cut a coax cable. And you would be introducing loss.

Why 2.4GHz? I'd stay away from 2,4GHz...

For your LAN2 scenario (8km) you don't need external antenna + radio either, and by keeping everything on an integrated device you'll avoid even another point of possible failure and save money.

8km is not optimal for a SXT lite though it looks your link isn't optimal either (could you post wireless > registration-tables > signal on the station?)

If you intend to replace them, I'd use an integrated device like a SEXTANT, QRT, DynaDish...if spectrum allows you will be able to at least double LAN 1 troughput rather easily.

If I were to make this people-proof, I would use a mast or a trestle tower with a folding assembly on its base, protected with anti-tamper screws.

Metal structures surrounded with cables is often enough to deter occasional people from even touching it; if you want to protect the cables you could route them inside a hollow mast.

s54mtb
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Thanks. I will post the data.

Today I checked the route for LAN2. It is actually around 6km with some nasty forrest growing near fresnel zone at the mountain top. I will try first to rise the SXT few meters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:30 pm

Short of seeing signals data, I'm almost sure with proper fresnel clearance you should be able to attain a similar LAN1 throughput with the already in place SXT5 Lites.

However your thermal fade margin will be rather small, meaning that metereological conditions can impact your PTP stability/throughput.

s54mtb
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi!

Here are signals:
sxt-tv.JPG
this is from the sxt lite connected to LAN2.

s54mtb

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Could you take another screenshot while traffic is passing through the link? (using bandwidth test for example)

Looks like there's an obstacle in the fresnel path definitely (I assume both ends are correctly aligned in H and V)

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi, The H chain looks ok but V seems to be a issue.

Is both sxt's water level ?

If so I suggest that you get 2 of these, or something simmilar http://www.rfelements.com/products/brac ... verview-2/ so you can allign along the vertical axis on both ends

s54mtb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi.

Short update: I replaced second leg's SXT with LHG and now I have no issues with data rate.

rua

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:48 am

hi

after you replaced the sxt's with lhg 5 ---- what is the data rates?
on the 20 km link, and on the 6 km link.

regards john
oz4a