MikroTik App

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

multiple interface to access same device

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:04 pm

hello folks,

I'm just the noobie, and i just bought a mikrotik RB951G-2HnD device. with firmware version of 6.30.2
my device map is like this:
My Configuration 2.jpg
In here i have too issue, First... i cant get my computer to use any of these device as Gateway on range 192.168.1.0
no matter if i set it to 1, 2, or 3, my computer alert with multiple gateways...
and when i put it under DHCP it uses 192.168.88.1

Second, when my TP-Link is connected to the MikroTik i cant see it...
Untitled.jpg
i also tweek the Route Setting of mikro from default config, and also run DHCP on both my Radio and Mikro.
mikroOs.jpg
i also keep device defaults, in case of any changes in my config, it's DHCP and addresses work the same it was at begining
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: multiple interface to access same device

Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:58 pm

There's a networking fundamental here that's causing your misunderstanding.

You have too many routers, basically.

Each IP network is a separate group of devices. Anything connected to ether2-ether5 of the 951 router will only be able to use a 192.168.88.x IP address. 192.168.88.1 will be the "Default Gateway" for this network, meaning that if a device with an IP of 192.168.88.X wants to talk to any IP address outside of that network, they should forward the packet to the router as a gateway to other networks.

The 192.168.1.x network lives between the wireless router dish and the 951 router. It's a completely different network than the 192.168.88.x network.

The same is true of your Linksys router. Its wireless clients and devices attached to the LAN ports of the Linksys will also be in a separate network from the 192.168.88.x network.

You should flatten your network so that you have one router - the Mikrotik - and all hosts should be getting 192.168.88.x IP addresses from it.

Configure the Linksys as a bridge - there's not a "bridge mode" configuration - basically you configure an IP such as 192.168.88.2 on the LAN interface of the Linksys, and disable DHCP server. Then connect one of its LAN ports to your Mikrotik router on one of the ether2-ether5 ports. Don't use the "Internet" (wan) port of the Linksys anymore.

Now your network will be one single unit.

Can your wireless ISP router be configured as a bridge instead of a router? If so, then you could configure pppoe on the 951 router, so it would get the public IP address directly, and then all of your NAT will work as expected, too.

TomosRider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:32 pm

ZeroByte strikes again...:)
He explained everything you should know and apply to your setup. I can only add, bridge mode to your AP...

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm

ZeroByte strikes again...:)
He explained everything you should know and apply to your setup. I can only add, bridge mode to your AP...
Haha - "strikes again," huh? Thanks for the laugh. :)

I just assumed that the wlan1 of the 951G router is already bridged to ether2-5 because that's the default setting, but yeah - DeadManN - make sure that wlan1 of the 951G is connected to bridge-local interface as well as ether2-master

@Tomos - the configuration I suggested for the Linksys, we used to go into SOHO and have our customers do this all the time - we call it the "poor man's AP"

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:36 pm

so if i give interface 192.168.1.2 to my router, doesn't it make it on it too? like when you give multiple IP to a computer, it can use them all through one port...

so this is why i cant find my TP-link modem, it somehow detect the other network and try to find another compatible ip address...

what about the UBNT antenna router, which use PPPoE to connect to isp? behind the router?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:16 pm

Just because you put an IP address on something, doesn't mean it's going to work.

Let's say that you have two devices: 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.20.

These two devices expect to be able to send broadcasts that will be seen by the other, and to be able to send ethernet frames directly to and from each other - no router is required for these two devices to talk to each other - only a dumb ethernet switch, or even an ethernet cable directly between them....

Suppose you have two dumb switches sitting on the table, and you plug 192.168.1.10 into switch 1 and 192.168.1.20 into switch 2, but you don't connect the switches together at all. Would you expect this to work? Of course not.

If you connect switch 1 to switch 2, then you've merged them into a single network, and now of course .10 and .20 can see each other. Want Internet connectivity? Plug a router into this switch and now .10 and .20 can get to the Internet through the router.

Suppose the router is in switch 1, and you disconnect the link from switch 1 to switch 2 - .20 will no longer be able to reach .10 or the Internet.....

Move the router's connection onto switch 2, and now .20 can get to the Internet, but not to .10.....

Okay - on the Mikrotik, ether2-5 are the same as one of these switches. Ether1 is special - it is not connected to the "switch" (by default) so anything plugged into ether1 can ONLY talk to the router, and ONLY on whatever IP address is configured there. So if you connected hosts .10 and .20 to ports ether2 and ether3, then they can communicate directly with each other. If you put the IP address 192.168.1.1 on the router, interface ether2, then everything's going to work again - but if you put 192.168.1.1 on the interface ether1, then .10 and .20 can still talk to each other, but not the router anymore because that IP address is no longer in their switch.

I hope this makes sense - I'm trying to explain networking fundamentals, and it's hard to do without having my trusty whiteboard. :)

Anyway - my initial response was what you can do to make your network nice and simple and functional. If you really want some devices to be on .1.x and others to be on .88.x, then there are ways to do this, but including the ISP router is going to make this a much more complicated configuration for you.

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm

The thing is i want to some time take my router out, but don't want to reconfig whole network, i tried to put IP x.x.1.0 on bridge between eter1 and 2 already, but didn't tried to put it on interface 2 master... (BTW i think, they still, again gonna be seperate network, i mean what you explain is like the router create two seperate interface which doesn't talk to each other, and the router is the one who get data on one port and deliver it on others, i'm not sure if i understand you fully on this specific part. but be sure i get all other simple matters, it's like the tricky part of a hard question).

I get it to work with another range IP, through puting another address on bridge, but as i said above i need to to work on same addresses.

SO:
Here's what i gonna try:
Due this, i try one more last thing, put router TP-Link which as you say, currently act as switch, on IP 192.168.1.3 again , and put my PC under 192.168.1.4, and router mikrotik on 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.1, (or maybe both for just reservation and do aliasing) and set in over eter 2.
As i said i'm not sure if i get you in this specific matter, but if the eter 1 is seperate to eter 2 and it's slaves, then it won't interfear with my Radio, but in other hand, if i remove the mikro to take it out, my network won't break any more. (i do programming, and some time i want to monitor data send trough my application, i found a way to read this data if that work(not test it yet)).

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:00 pm

it worked, but it somehow didn't open some website, like mikrotik or 4ward.it, also network became slower, maybe creating multiple interface generate a loop, and some website run out of hop to travel.
BTW it still had another issue, which was that my gateway still pointed to 192.168.1.2, not 1.1, though it first route to mikrotik to take routing data, and the mikro is aware of the node behind it (192.168.1.1), setting gateway to that point, wont be available, due it's position.

Though the radio still duing routing operation, i'm afraid changing eter 1 to switch, i'm wonder if it wont listen to what data contains after that.

i think i leave with what i earned.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 pm

The elephant in the room is why not buy a second router to take with you whenever you need to use it as a tool off-site?
There are some pretty cheap models available, depending on how heavy or light the load is.

I think I own three right now - and two are just in the closet collecting dust after I bought my 2011-UAS-2HnD but I'm planning on dusting off the 751G to use it as a controlled access point.

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 pm

it's cheap surely, but if my salary was in dollar, 80~100 K $ yearly, not around 2K $ :D

and the second one isn't programmable, so won't listen to data.

and nice BTW, old ago, when I were apprentice I had my period in one of big ISDP company through my own city, and they used these small box in many places, I'm wonder how fast they were that day, but I'm wonder if they were sufficient . and now look at you, you just got a collection which has no use ;)

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm wonder if I can ask you one more question before take it, if it does sense to forum.

Think of this:
Multiple DHCP Configuration, which give a way IP based on Last connected node IP Address,
which I mean, as you saw my interfaces, and later, even my neighbor connect to my router (as the radio only provide one port) to gain access to internet. I want to do this, if device directly connect to MikroTik I give it default, if it connect to my access point I give it what I already configure for my home network, and if he use my neighbor AP / router, I give him another range, I already configure two DHCP server, but I'm wonder how to assign it, though the 0 come first, device gain 88, even though I remove lease table, in the end I assigned my phone static (mac based) DHCP rule, so I could access my pc file, it didn't routed from 88 to 1 on mask 24.

Sorry to ask to many question, I'm programmer, who just set up many network utility but has no idea of networking more than academic matters. my apology

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:14 pm

I recommend changing your connections a bit - plug the ISP router in to the LAN of the Linksys, and connect ether1 of the 951G to the lan of the Linksys as well. Use Masquerade on the Mikrotik. If you want a wlan on the Mikrotik that's part of the 1 network, then change things as follows:

Make a bridge and call it "home net" and then move the "wan" configurations onto the new bridge interface.
(dhcp client, 192.168.1.x static IP, firewall rules, etc)

In the bridge > ports menu, connect ether1-gateway interface to the "home net" bridge.

Then make a virtual AP on wlan1, configure it with whatever SSID and security profile you like, and then add the virtual AP interface to the brige > ports on bridge "home net"

Leave the main SSID of wlan connected to the bridge-local bridge.

You really need to strive to keep 88.x on one network and 1.x on another.

deadManN
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:27 am

i think this time i really love to see things on your whiteboard, i'm not sure if it is complicate or it's duye my weak english, but i'm getting confiused...
BTW, the home router doesn't have any wan port. the wan is only for ADSL and phone line