Community discussions

MikroTik App

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

MAP2N - using ethernet 2 for internet input

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 am

Hi,

Firstly I have to say I'm a real NEWBIE to router configuration and need some Basic router help.

I think i'd better state what i'm trying to achieve first of all - I'm trying to connect my recently purchased mAP RouterBOARD to a ubiquiti nanostation M2 Loco in order to gain improved wifi reception when i connect to caravan/RV web access points.

I've configured the nanostation correctly (i think!) and when i plug it into the ethernet 1 of the mAP routerBOARD it all works correctly and i can access the internet properly! However when I use the ethernet2 /poe connection I cant access the internet in a web browser (I do see Tx/Rx packet activity however on the ethernet 2 interface). (nb. I'm wanting to use the ethernet2/poe connection so the poe can power the nanostation -, less cables etc!)

How can I make the router use the ethernet2 connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

Nb. I am using the router in default configuration (wisp ap) and can configure it with webfig.

thanks in advance :)
Dave

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Re: MAP2N - using ethernet 2 for internet input

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm still struggling with this one!

I've followed some of the tutorials on youtube to no avail. I think part of the problem is that there are only 2 ethernet ports available and i'm trying to swop them over, and when i do it I lose access to the router so cant see what settings have been applied when i try to get back in again. I end up resetting to factory build again. All very frustrating :( :( - so any help will be greatly appreciated.... :D

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Set on ether2 master interface ether1

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Re:

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:01 pm

thanks for getting back to me with this suggestion.

Unfortunately ether 2 is already bridged with the WLAN so it rejects it!

when I delete the bridge your suggestion does work and I am able to connect the ubiquity nanostation to ether2. However, this process does not allow more than one laptop/tablet to connect to the internet - which was the point of the router!

what else can i do?

thanks in advance
Dave

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Re:

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:32 pm

thanks for getting back to me with this suggestion.

Unfortunately ether 2 is already bridged with the WLAN so it rejects it!

when I delete the bridge your suggestion does work and I am able to connect the ubiquity nanostation to ether2. However, this process does not allow more than one laptop/tablet to connect to the internet - which was the point of the router!

what else can i do?

thanks in advance
Dave

okay - I think I've figured some of it out - but not sure why!!

have done this:
Change Bridge | Ports tab | interface from Ether2 to Ether1, and then disable it.
Change Interfaces | interface tab |click on Ether2 row to open it up, and set Master Port=Ether1. (as advised above).
This set the interfaces to
R BRIDGE
R ether1
RS ether2
RS wlan1

To my mind I've amended the Bridge so it bridges from WLAN to nowhere! I've also cant connect to the internet via a wired connection thro Ether1.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:15 pm

First of all is your map router or bridge? If it is router is normal to connect only from eher1 with default setup.
Second... If u bridge wlan and ether 2 your map is a simple access point and ignore ether1. Now.... If only one device can connect this way change wireless mode on ubnt. I bet is station. Change to something like station bridge.... Long time not working with ubnt so I don't remember their settings.
Also confirm that I understand your network : internet.... Wlan ubnt ---- lan ubnt----- lan map ---- wlan map ---- your computers.

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Re:

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Kiaunel,
Thanks for your assistance so far! I’m not sure what you are asking me to do next, so I’ve supplied full details of my configuration.

I’m trying to configure my Ubiquity Nanostation as a ‘Long Range Wifi Client’ together with my Mikrotek Map2n router in order to deliver internet at caravan sites to one or more laptop/tablets.

My physical network configuration is as follows:
Caravan site internet <---> wifi <---> nanostation <---> Ethernet cable <---> Map2n <---> wifi <---> tablet(s)/laptop(s)

I’ve configured the Nanostation as recommended by
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles ... iFi-Client
i.e
Wireless mode=station (alternatives are Access pt and AP-repeater)
Network mode=Router (alternatives are Bridge & SOHO router)
WAN IP address = dhcp
WAN NAT = enable
LAN DHCP Server=enable

The Map2n router initially has default factory settings i.e.
Router Mode
*WAN port is protected by firewall and enabled DHCP client
*Wireless interfaces are part of LAN bridge
*WAN port is protected by firewall and enabled DHCP client
*IP address 192.168.88.1/24 is set on LAN port
Wlan1 Configuration:
Mode ap-bridge
LAN Configuration
DHCP server enabled
DNS enabled
WAN (gateway) Configuration
Gateway: ether1
Firewall: enabled
NAT: enabled

i.e. has interfaces listed as
Bridge
Ether1 (with master port=none)
Ether2 (with master port=none)
Wlan1 (mode= ap bridge)

Everything works okay when I connect the Nanostation to Ether1 but I have to inject power separately into the Ethernet cable. In order to simplify my power cabling I want to use Map2n’s Ether2 PoE capability.

You have recommended changing Ether2 to Ether2(with master port=Ether1) but it rejects it with ‘ether2 already in bridge’.

(To remove Ether2 from the bridge I have to change the Bridge Port Ether2 Interface to be Ether1 and also disable it. (Anything else and I can’t log in to the router to amend anything – I have to do a reset to factory settings!)) After doing this I can connect the nanostation to Ether2 and receive internet reception via the routers wlan for several laptops/tablets.

However, I’m not sure this is a correct configuration? I cannot use Ether1 to connect anything to (indeed, the led light is permanently lit). (Not having Ether1 isn’t a major problem,.... I’m just not sure that this configuration is ‘valid’......)

Thanks again
Dave

jabadabado
just joined

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi Dave,

This is exactly the same setup as I'm looking for :-)
I'm using a Ubiquiti Nanostation connected to a “Dovado Tiny AC” router today. That works. But I want to replace the Dovado router with my Mikrotik Map2n since it has Power over internet and smaller footprint than my Dovado Router. I have it up and running on ether1 as well, but no luck in setting it up on ether2 with Poe. Hope someone can help out with this. It would be a really nice setup for use in an RV.

I used this guide to setup my Nanostation : https://dl.ubnt.com/Nano_Quick_Set-up.pdf

TerjeB

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Ok, now i think i understand. your wan port is ether1. Remove ether2 from bridge and for make ether2 wan move dhcp-client on ether2 that way you will get default route on ether2 and you need to make nat settings considering your out-interface will ne ether2. But, this wil be a router after router setup witch i don`t recomend. Set ubnt as bridge, not router and leave the map to do routing. Also make a bridge with wlan1 and ether1 so you can connect on ether1 too as your inside lan. move your lan ip and dhcp-server on bridge. It will work , and you will have more powerfull router than ubnt.

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi kiaunel.

And thanks very much for your quick response to my earlier post!!!

I must admit I’m struggling a bit with what you’ve said! One of the main concerns is that you’ve said change the ubnt to a ‘bridge’. Whenever I move caravan sites I need to log on to the ubnt to switch to the new caravan wifi SSID. I want to do this through the MAP rather than a static ip on my laptop. However, because I’m now ‘bridging’ I can’t access the ubnt directly. (I think i can only send/receive internet, not the ip address of the ubnt).

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your solution....? (or more than likely dont understand Routing!!) :)

I’ve paraphrased your solution (below) so that I can get my head around it and see what i have to do. Again I’m not also sure what you mean in c) and e).

On the Map2n swop WAN over from Ether1 to Ether2 by
a) Delete Ether2 from the Bridge with Wlan (select Ports Tab from Bridge and delete it by clicking the ‘-‘ button)
b) Move DHCP client to Ether2 (select DHCP tab from IP | DHCP and click on Ether1 and change interface from ether1 to ether2)
c) Need to make nat settings considering your out interface will be ether2
Not too sure what you mean here?????? (where can I amend the NAT settings?)
d) Add Ether1 to the Bridge with Wlan and ether1 (select Ports Tab from Bridge and add new. Add interface=ether1)
e) Move LAN ip and DHCP-server on bridge
Not too sure what you mean here???????

On the nanostation:
change from ‘Router to Bridge’
(On the Network tab, change the Network Role | Network router = Bridge )

regards
Dave

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm on phone now and can not make an elaborate post. Later I will.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Ok it`s very easy. In the ip tab on address double click on 192.168.88.1 and put on interface bridge1 or whatever your bridge name is . Like you said
*IP address 192.168.88.1/24 is set on LAN port
instead of lan port use bridge . Same thing in ip---dhcpd server -- double click on server1 and change interface to bridge name. Now. in the Ip tab on firewall section you will see nat tab. and a rule for masquerading or srcnat. double click. on that rule and see if on out-interface is set ether1. If it is.. change to ether2.
For accesing ubnt in bridge mode set an ip address on ether2 like 10.10.10.1/24 and on ubnt 10.10.10.2/24. Now you can access ubnt behind your map. I hope i wass clear enough this time.

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi kiaunel,

I think I understand all of that and have tried implementing it. However, either the router reboots and I cant log back in again (either wireless or wired) or I try to 'Apply' the changes but it rejects them.

One thing that really worries me is that the MAC Address for the internet acquisition details (shown on the quick set screen) always displays the ether1 details. Even if I overtype the address with the ether2 MAC address on the quick set page it reverts to the ether1 address when I subsequently come back to the quick set page.

I deduce from this that the WAN is always expected to come from ether1 - perhaps its hard wired and isnt configurable?

regards
Dave

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:49 pm

It has nothing to do with mac on wan interface it is configurable on any ther by ip and default route. On what settings is rebooting or not allow you to access it? Keep in mind there are situations when deleting bridges or move ip from one interface to other when the device will not be accesible by ip... you can access by mac with winbox. maybe better to remove all config and not use quick set. Later this evening if i have time i will set up a spare hap lite with the config you need so you can set yours by copy/paste.

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:57 pm

It has nothing to do with mac on wan interface it is configurable on any ther by ip and default route. On what settings is rebooting or not allow you to access it? Keep in mind there are situations when deleting bridges or move ip from one interface to other when the device will not be accesible by ip... you can access by mac with winbox. maybe better to remove all config and not use quick set. Later this evening if i have time i will set up a spare hap lite with the config you need so you can set yours by copy/paste.
if you could that would be cool! :D (nb.i can use winbox on windows10)

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Ok, this is the config for you"
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no mode=ap-bridge wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=00:11:22:33:44:55 auto-mac=no name=bridge1
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.88.3-192.168.88.30
add name=dhcp_pool1 ranges=192.168.88.5-192.168.88.50
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp_pool1 disabled=no interface=bridge1 lease-time=1d name=dhcp1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.88.0
add address=10.10.10.1/24 interface=ether2 network=10.10.10.0
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether2
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 dns-server=8.8.8.8 gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=8.8.8.8
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=ether2
First, reset config in sistem --> reset configuration. and reboot device. A popup will apear after you connect with a tab "remove config" ... click on it.
Then paste config in terminal.
Everything was set up ok on my device so it must on yours. Anyway.... make sure you connect by mac address to avoid disconects.
Also make sure in winbox every command has been inputed in case a disconect.
The address 10.10.10.1 on ether2 is to connect to 10.10.10.2 on ubnt in bridge mode.
Hope it will work. the only thing i have not tested was plugging a cable in ether2 to have actualy have a connection but it should not have any problem with this part.
[/code]

jabadabado
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:05 am

Kiaunel,

I did a reset of my map2n router and inserted your config and connected the Nanostation to ether2 and my laptop to ether1 last night and it is working :D . Thankyou for the great support !

I can also connect to my Nanostation on the default address: 192.168.10.20

Dave, I could not reply to your PM. Seems like I need to participate more on this forum before I’m allowed to reply to PM’s . Anyway, looks like we have the solution now. I guess/hope that the config Kiaunel has provided are working for you as well.

I now just need to replace the dhcp scope to 10.0.0.1/24 so I can move some of my equipment to and from my home network using the same IP addresses 

--Terje--

alteredoutlook
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:26 pm

Ok, this is the config for you"
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no mode=ap-bridge wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=00:11:22:33:44:55 auto-mac=no name=bridge1
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.88.3-192.168.88.30
add name=dhcp_pool1 ranges=192.168.88.5-192.168.88.50
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp_pool1 disabled=no interface=bridge1 lease-time=1d name=dhcp1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=bridge1 network=192.168.88.0
add address=10.10.10.1/24 interface=ether2 network=10.10.10.0
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether2
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 dns-server=8.8.8.8 gateway=192.168.88.1
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=8.8.8.8
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=ether2
First, reset config in sistem --> reset configuration. and reboot device. A popup will apear after you connect with a tab "remove config" ... click on it.
Everything was set up ok on my device so it must on yours. Anyway.... make sure you connect by mac address to avoid disconects.
Also make sure in winbox every command has been inputed in case a disconect.
The address 10.10.10.1 on ether2 is to connect to 10.10.10.2 on ubnt in bridge mode.
Hope it will work. the only thing i have not tested was plugging a cable in ether2 to have actualy have a connection but it should not have any problem with this part.
[/code]
Hi kiaunel,

its looking a little better - I've had a few problems on the way! (mainly, my Toshiba Win10 wouldnt connect to winbox using a MAC address - this is a problem thats occurred on the forum before and any of the solutions offered didnt apply!! But I don't want to address this here as i managed to configure it as you said using another Toshiba laptop on win7!!)

some questions:
a) I couldn't set 'auto-mac=no' on the bridge1 interface as it isn't a parameter on winbox v6.34.1.
b) don't see the point of dhcp1 and dhcp_pool1!
c) shouldn't I add some firewall rules (same as the default config, but using ether2, rather than ether1 interface) as well?
d) I've attached one wired connection to ether1 and one wireless connection to the router (haven't tried connecting the ubnt yet) and it all looked good. However, then tried connecting another wireless connection but this wouldn't connect.
e) I've looked at the'quick set' window (but haven't made any changes!!!). It comes up as 'Ethernet' (i was expecting WISP-AP) and it has configuration mode=bridge (I was expecting Router), Mac address=ether1. This may be a red herring because I'm guessing the configuration of the 'quick set' screen is determined from whatever ether1 is set to. And we have 'corrupted' it. if so, this is as confusing as hell!

regards
Dave

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 pm

This was a very basic config so you can start .
a- you can forget about it it was from a test ... don`t input that line
b- pool1 is the ip range dhcp-server will assign to clients, dhcp1 is the server itself.
c- yes you should... like i said this was a very basic config to make things work as u wanted... then config more as u like.
d-change channel to auto and regulatory-domanin... i don`t know why second device is not connecting.
e-like i said before... forget about quickset.
Try to connect to ubnt and see how it works then you can do more settings to get everything up. Maybe if we both online i could have a watch on teamview .
PS : if it worked to jabadabado, must work for you too.

suemanx
just joined

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi, I too am having the issue of using Ethernet port 2 and have tried several of the settings on the thread - I am not experienced but just want the Ethernet port 2 working as a POE and on the internet, wifi with a nanostation. Ethernet port 1 works fine but is not POE so I have to have a separate power supply for the nanostation instead of powering it from the Map as hoped. I know all the settings for the nanostation are fine and as I said I can connect fine on the Map via Ethernet port 1.
I tried the setting below to paste into the configuration - I take it the was using Winbox? I could not paste at all the content in the window and script were fixed?
Any help from anyone who has sorted this out will be very much appreciated.