Community discussions

MikroTik App

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Weird routing loop in logs but there isn't one.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi
Hoping someone can help with this, my RB3011 is showing that there is a loop and there isn't one.

To elaborate,
Eth1 goes to a CRS125 and it has nothing in the logs suggesting any kind of routing loop
Eth2 goes to an RB2011 and it too has nothing in the logs suggesting some kid of loop
Eth3 goes to a Vonage VOIP box which has no way of creating a loop (and the problem existed before the box)
Eth10 is running PoE up to a roof mounted Ubiquiti CPE and I run a pppoe client on Eth10

I'm quite stuck with where to start?

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Weird routing loop in logs but there isn't one.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:45 pm

Whenever it's happening, run a sniffer on the interface and capture it to a file (e.g. broadcasts.cap) - let the sniffer run for a little while and then stop it, and download the file and open it in wireshark. Note the source of the broadcasts and track it down that way.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 pm

I have been pulling my hair out with this one. So far I'm yet to try the above but I just had a gut feeling it may be the RB3011 itself at fault.

I did not have any issues up until a few days ago and no dramatic changes in my network. I have been enabling an disabling ports on the adjoining switches to try and rule out where the source is coming from, every time the problem seemed to follow no matter what was disabled.

***With just my Vonage and Ubuntu PC connected to the RB I was seeing over 25Gb going over ether7 which was not in use!

I am currently using a hAP lite in place of the RB3011 and so far 7 minutes of error free logs with my network "as it was" when the RB started to have a tantrum.

Funny feeling it's the RB or rOS at this point.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:26 pm

We used to have an issue sometimes where after lightning storms (very very common in my area), sometimes a wireless station would go nuts and create a loop - so as soon as this "mad station" would join the wlan, the wlan would get swamped by broadcasts and looped frames, causing the switch the AP was connected to to errdisable the port. We had to put a MAC acl in place and bring up stations one-by-one until the problem hit again....

This happened even when the rogue station had no link on its ethernet side (tech physically disconnected the cable)....

I guess this is all to say that it really seems to me that something has gone haywire and is apparently really causing a loop on the network. It could be the RB3011 itself, or there could be something in your hAP Lite's configuration that prevents the snowball from rolling down the hill, but is missing in your 3011 configuration...

I didn't quite follow your meaning on this:
I am currently using a hAP lite in place of the RB3011 and so far 7 minutes of error free logs with my network "as it was" when the RB started to have a tantrum.
So the "tantrum" happened even when you put the hAP lite back in place, or do you mean "when the (3011)RB started to have a tantrum?"

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:32 pm

I didn't quite follow your meaning on this:
So the "tantrum" happened even when you put the hAP lite back in place, or do you mean "when the (3011)RB started to have a tantrum?"

Sorry it was quite badly worded. I've swapped out the RB3011 for a hAP lite that I had knocking around the office and the hAP is playing nicely with no errors and no routing loop messages. At that point I'd been rifling through my patch cabling moving everything around trying to resolve a possible hardware loop.

My LAN is entirely back to where it should be now as it was when the RB3011 first started complaining of a loop only now I have the hAP in it's place and that is working fine.

This draws me to 3 things currently; Faulty RB3011, Bad version of rOS or bad configuration of rOS by me.
I'm going to factory default the RB over the weekend and see if I can configure it back up in a basic manner to make it work again and if not the RB will be making it's way back to MikroTik land.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:44 pm

Heh - Mikrotik land.

Sounds like your troubleshooting has been sound thus far. Hope you don't need to end up doing an RMA on the thing....

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 pm

Heh - Mikrotik land.

Sounds like your troubleshooting has been sound thus far. Hope you don't need to end up doing an RMA on the thing....
I was hoping the same but I've just finished reconfiguring it, did it from fresh factory default then reset config with no default and it started throwing errors and mad amounts of data over unused ports.

I think she will be going back. Bit of a knock as I generally shout MikroTik from the rooftops, I just hope the distributor can follow up with some good service.

skuykend
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:48 am

I've had these messages pop up on CRS switches, only happened on the master port for a switch group when that physical port was being used.

It was a false message that MikroTik finally fixed in one of the 6.32 bug fixes for the CRS.

What version are you running? Maybe they have a similar problem with the coding for the 3011's new switch chip.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 am

I've had these messages pop up on CRS switches, only happened on the master port for a switch group when that physical port was being used.

It was a false message that MikroTik finally fixed in one of the 6.32 bug fixes for the CRS.

What version are you running? Maybe they have a similar problem with the coding for the 3011's new switch chip.
Have tried it with 6.34, 6.34.1 and the 6.35rc8 and got the same thing.
I saw in previous bug fixes a false positive message had been removed but that doesn't explain the 25Gb traffic across an ethernet interface that isn't being used.

Also I did have the ports in a "dumb" switch off ether1 as master but when problems started tried moving them into a software bridge to see if that helped and still got them same thing on them individually.

sruys
just joined

Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm having the exact same issue with the RouterBOARD 3011UiAS on firmware 3.27.
Im' very new to routerOS and I've implemented the following config:

Config:
ether 1: connected with pppoe interface
ether 2: master port
ether 3: slave to 2
ether 4: slave to 2
ether 5: slave to 2

ether 6: master port
ether 7 : slave to 6
ether 8 : slave to 6
ether 9 : slave to 6
ether 10: slave to 6

I'm getting a dynamic IP via PPPoE connected on the ether 1 port. I wanted the rest of the ports to function as a switch an after some reading on the wiki I came up with the following config.

1. to make switch port you need to make 1 master ports and set the other ports to slave on the master port. Because the 3011UiAS has two switch chips I needed to config this with the two ports : eth2 and eth 6.

2. To connect the both switch groups (eth2-5 and eth6-10) I've made a bridge interface and added the both master ports to the bridge (eth 2 and eth 6).

3. Gateway IP assigned to the bridge interface, DHCP, Natting etc..

Is there any flaw in my configuration implementation that could cause the errors ?

-I've made the bridge MAC static
-checked cabling
-port status on bridge ports are designated, default settings rtsp.
-disabled auto negotiation and set the speed and duplex mode static

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Your setup is textbook perfect for your goal.

You shouldn't have any loops due to this configuration. But the giant flood of traffic tells me there really is something out there repeating broadcasts. The logs are warning about excessive broadcast, and your observation of phantom bandwidth consumption supports this.

You could wait for the next broadcast storm and then start disabling ports one at a time until it goes away, and that would tell you which interface is involved in the flood.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm having the exact same issue with the RouterBOARD 3011UiAS on firmware 3.27.
Im' very new to routerOS and I've implemented the following config:

Config:
ether 3: slave to 2
ether 4: slave to 2

I'm getting a dynamic IP via PPPoE connected on the ether 1 port. I wanted the rest of the ports to function as a switch an after some reading on the wiki I came up with the following config.

1. to make switch port you need to make 1 master ports and set the other ports to slave on the master port. Because the 3011UiAS has two switch chips I needed to config this with the two ports : eth2 and eth 6.

2. To connect the both switch groups (eth2-5 and eth6-10) I've made a bridge interface and added the both master ports to the bridge (eth 2 and eth 6).

Is there any flaw in my configuration implementation that could cause the errors ?

-I've made the bridge MAC static
-checked cabling
-port status on bridge ports are designated, default settings rtsp.
-disabled auto negotiation and set the speed and duplex mode static
Sounds like we are getting same problem with s same firmware. Which ros are you running?

Shame a mikrotik person can't comment on this, it's a little convenient 2 independent networks with no issues get this message with the same router which is a relatively new release.

sruys
just joined

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:55 pm

I'm running:
Board Name RB3011UiAS
Version 6.34.1 (stable)

As suggested i'm eliminating ports by adding my clients one at the time and running data through the ports.
Config:
1. ether 1: connected with pppoe interface
2. ether 2: master port
3. ether 3: slave to 2 -> 1 connected desktop client(w10). No problem with collisions/routing loop errors
4. ether 4: slave to 2 ->Synology nas, no bonding/802.3ad just 1 connected utp on the port. Gigabit with auto negotiation.
5. ether 5: slave to 2

6. ether 6: master port
7. ether 7 : slave to 6
8. ether 8 : slave to 6 -> raspberry pi
9. ether 9 : slave to 6
10. ether 10: slave to 6

After adding a third client in the switch group the router started signalling router loops and collisions. Collisions were also reported on disconnected ports.

E.g. Eth 5:
Tx/Rx Bytes 6226302197/6800688120
Tx/Rx 64 4772456919/4845332892
Tx/Rx 65-127 5653785031/2478736242
Tx/Rx 128-255 5469600400/5603478818
Tx/Rx 256-511 3832786550/4050914684
Tx/Rx 512-1023 1041495643/825272933
Tx/Rx 1024-1518 2804121942/2954117634
Tx/Rx 1519-max 2208623458/33685504
Tx/Rx Too Long 1952245119/2466255888
Rx Stats
Rx Broadcast 3062764824
Rx Pause 3373335812
Rx Multicast 134217762
Rx FCS Error 9060864
Rx Align Error 6602399232
Rx Too Short 209584256
Rx Fragment 379790957
Rx Overflow 4556780439
Tx Stats
Tx Broadcast 526346227
Tx Pause 2669553325
Tx Multicast 2524564610
Tx Underrun 7241038190
Tx Collision 2713063559
Tx Excessive Collision 2497511356
Tx Multiple Collision 1940009769
Tx Single Collision 853506963
Tx Excessive Deferred 2463280193
Tx Deferred 3284827293
Tx Late Collision 3320344806

I disconnected the client on port eth8 (in the second bridge group) and rebooted the router. I did this because Isuspected a problem with the bridging between the two switch groups. Collisions were reported again on the master port eth2 but none were reported on the interface where both clients were connected (eth 3 and eth4).

I disabled the bridge interface that connected both the master ports (eth2 <->eth6) and rebooted the router. The only clients that are connected are on eth 3 and 4 (and eth1 my ISP modem for the PPPoE)

Config:
ether 3: slave to 2 -> 1 connected desktop client(w10). No problem with collisions/routing loop errors
ether 4: slave to 2 ->Synology nas, no bonding/802.3ad but 1 connected utp on the port. Gigabit with auto negotiation.

NO collisions/loops or duplex errors are reported thus far.

Question: It seems to me that the problem is with the usage of a bridge interface, I'm new to Mikrotik so I'm not familiar with this kind of interface. Is it possible to replace the bridge interface (which is pure software based) with a UTP cable between the two master ports and in doing this connecting the both switch groups ? I've read that the master ports cannot be used though to transfer data, do I then have to connect ports from both switch groups e.g. eth 5 <-> eth10)?

Update: I've connected my MikroTik RB260GS switch that has a couple of client (AP, media server etc) on port 5. Still no collisions/loops/errors reported.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:58 pm

I thought I'd solved mine but then when you realise the NAT and PPP session go through the CPU those interfaces start flagging errors as well.

The best mine managed was 2 hours without error and then I put traffic over the WAN connection and it started again.

Hopefully it is a software fault that can be fixed easily.

sruys
just joined

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 am

After an entire night I still got no loop/collisions or duplex mismatch errors. It seemed the problem was with the use of a bridging interface.

Is there anyone who could explain this to me ? I thought I understood the use of a bridiging interface in connecting two different switch groups but it seems like I was wrong ? (or is it a bug in this model/firmware?)

Last edited by sruys on Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 am

After an entire night I still got no loop/collisions or duplex mismatch errors. It seemed the problem was with the use of a bridging interface.

Is there anyone who could explain this to me ? I thought I understood the use of a bridiging interface in connecting two different switch groups but it seems like I was wrong ?
No not wrong at all. The bridge interface is designed to do as you are intending. I ran the same setup on my RB2011 with no problems at all, only snce moving to RB3011 is this occuring.

This would also explain why when I removed all ports from the master-slave setup onto a software bridge the problem seemingly got worse. I don't think not using a software bridge though is an ideal solution and MT need to come up with some answers to this.

sruys
just joined

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:36 am

I have mailed this to the support addres of Mikrotik. In the meanwhile, if someone has any further troubleshooting ideas I'd be happy to try them out. I still have the following questions though:

Is it possible to replace the bridge interface (which is pure software based) with a UTP cable between the two master ports and in doing this connecting the both switch groups ? I've read that the master ports cannot be used though to transfer data, do I then have to connect ports from both switch groups e.g. eth 5 <-> eth10)?

If this is not an option, is it only possible to use the ports from the second switch group (eth6-10) as router ports?

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 am

I have mailed this to the support addres of Mikrotik. In the meanwhile, if someone has any further troubleshooting ideas I'd be happy to try them out. I still have the following questions though:

Is it possible to replace the bridge interface (which is pure software based) with a UTP cable between the two master ports and in doing this connecting the both switch groups ? I've read that the master ports cannot be used though to transfer data, do I then have to connect ports from both switch groups e.g. eth 5 <-> eth10)?

If this is not an option, is it only possible to use the ports from the second switch group (eth6-10) as router ports?
You can definitely use the master ports. My CRS125 which resides below the RB3011 has master port of ether1 and the link from the RB goes into that.

You could with no problem run a patch between the 2 switch chips as a short term fix but that just seems so counter productive when the software is malfunctioning causing this. Why bother with a 10 port router when you have to use 2 to join the thing together?

I would have preferred all ports on same switch chip either way and have always seen this as a weakness in the RB's.

sruys
just joined

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the patching tonight and see if encounter any problems.

I agree, this solution isn't quite that elegant and I'm glad I bought the router with no expectations whatsoever. I just wanted to test the hardware specs, get to know the Mikrotik OS and replace some equipment by one device.

At the moment it is replacing a Cisco router and a Cisco switch in my home enviroment but with this problem I'm missing some ports and will have to add my switch again.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll try the patching tonight and see if encounter any problems.

I agree, this solution isn't quite that elegant and I'm glad I bought the router with no expectations whatsoever. I just wanted to test the hardware specs, get to know the Mikrotik OS and replace some equipment by one device.

At the moment it is replacing a Cisco router and a Cisco switch in my home enviroment but with this problem I'm missing some ports and will have to add my switch again.
Had an interesting conversation with a colleague earlier. I'm going to try the bugfix rOS release tonight and see if that remedies it.

KryonZA
just joined

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:18 pm

I too had the same issue with my RB3011. It seems to be a software related. I reset my config and removed the bridge between the two switches, which resolved the matter.

I run a simple network:
Ether 1 - PPPoE
Ether 2 - LAN

Upgraded from a RB2011 which never had the loop with the same config.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:21 pm

I too had the same issue with my RB3011. It seems to be a software related. I reset my config and removed the bridge between the two switches, which resolved the matter.

I run a simple network:
Ether 1 - PPPoE
Ether 2 - LAN

Upgraded from a RB2011 which never had the loop with the same config.
So that's 3 of us and counting with the same problem. I have raised this to MT support now via formal email and also referenced this thread. I really do hope somebody gives this some attention.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Progress for tonight;
The bugfix rOS is not available fro the Arm architecture currently so that strikes another line of enquiry off.

Have reconfigured as @sruys has and so far so good, 17 mins of no error message.
I will leave the config as it is now and not touch anything else to see if this fixes it, if it does then MT you have some bug fixing to do!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:07 am

So far so good (kind of)

We've gone the best part of 2 hours without an error message (although the router isn't working how I want it to) but oddly it has rebooted itself once in this time. I'm going to write that off as a random reboot of no origin and hope it doesn't happen again.

sruys
just joined

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:49 pm

So far so good (kind of)

We've gone the best part of 2 hours without an error message (although the router isn't working how I want it to) but oddly it has rebooted itself once in this time. I'm going to write that off as a random reboot of no origin and hope it doesn't happen again.
I just wanted to confirm that no errors are being reported after an uptime of 1 day 17 hours (no random reboots) with my current config without a bridge interface but with a manual patch between the two master ports.

sruys
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:49 pm

i've received a reply from Mikrotik support regarding this matter:
Hello,

We have seen this problem in older versions but cannot reproduce it in the latest
ones. We recommend upgrading to v6.35rc1x. If you notice any problem in v6.35rc
version, let us know, we are still investigating it.

Regards,
Janis B.

To upgrade to the version they specified I had to choose the branch "release candidate"

Channel: release candidate
Installed Version
Latest Version
6.35rc11

I'm upgrading right now and I'll post the results afterwards.

sruys
just joined

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:06 pm

The upgrade to the latest test version had no effect, stil the same errors. I've replied this to Mikrotik support and I've send them my config and a screenshot of the error. maybe they'll find something obvious that I'm missing

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:18 am

Thanks for keeping the community updated with your progress.

bornwired
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 pm

I am seeing the same errors in my RB3011 logs.
Is this limited to the RB3011 with ARM?

flazzarini
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi there I thought I would drop on this as well, as I am experiencing the exact same thing on my new RB3011 running version 6.34.2.

When I switched from RB2011 to RB3011 I did the foolish thing of restoring a binary backup which I took on the RB2011 to the RB3011, which obviously overwrote all the mac addresses on my interfaces. Real messy mistake, but I managed getting my network working again. After a while the same messages as you guys above describe started appearing, which made me wonder what had changed between the previous working setup on my RB2011 and to the setup which is present now. So first reflex was to do a configuration reset and start reapplying my previous configuration using an old backup.rsc file, line by line only the really important lines. At first I didn't see any weird log messages but soon they started appearing again.

One thing I've noticed is that when you observe the Interfaces in question the TX/RX Bytes on these interfaces start increasing quite rapidly once the first message in the logs appears.

I really don't understand what might be the real problem here.

sruys
just joined

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi there I thought I would drop on this as well, as I am experiencing the exact same thing on my new RB3011 running version 6.34.2.

When I switched from RB2011 to RB3011 I did the foolish thing of restoring a binary backup which I took on the RB2011 to the RB3011, which obviously overwrote all the mac addresses on my interfaces. Real messy mistake, but I managed getting my network working again. After a while the same messages as you guys above describe started appearing, which made me wonder what had changed between the previous working setup on my RB2011 and to the setup which is present now. So first reflex was to do a configuration reset and start reapplying my previous configuration using an old backup.rsc file, line by line only the really important lines. At first I didn't see any weird log messages but soon they started appearing again.

One thing I've noticed is that when you observe the Interfaces in question the TX/RX Bytes on these interfaces start increasing quite rapidly once the first message in the logs appears.

I really don't understand what might be the real problem here.
It seems to be a bug in the current firmware. You can read the previous comments for a workaround but I would suggest you mail you report this with Mikrotik support so they have more examples to work with.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:36 pm

I've just seen that bugfix 6.32.4 has been released for the ARM version. I'm wondering if it is worth rolling back to that as the problem only seemed to start at 6.34.

I'm not at my desk currently but will try it tonight I think and report back.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Small update;
The bugfix firmware still won't download and work on my RB3011. I get an error;
missing routeros-arm-6.32.4.npk

I haven't updated yet to 6.34.2

sruys
just joined

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 pm

Update:

Hello,

We have reproduced this problem and are working on to fix it in upcoming RouterOS
version.

Regards,
Janis B.

--
Come to the MUM - Europe 2016 (Slovenia), Malaysia, Bangladesh,
Russia (Irkutsk, Vladivostok), China, Philippines, Mexico, United
States, Indonesia, Middle East (Dubai)!

02/18/2016 22:39 - sruyswrote:

> Dear Janis
>
> Thank you for your speedy reply.
>
> I've upgraded to the 6.35rc11 version from the release candidate channel.
> I've replaced the physical patching between de two master ports by a bridge
> interfcae containing the two master ports and withing 15 seconds the errors
> started again. I've added a screenshot of the logs in attachment.
>
> I've also added an export of my working config with physical patched master
> ports and a config resulting in the errors.
>
> I've you need any more specific info do not hesitate to ask.
>
> Kr
>
> sruys
>

TLDR: next update will contain fix

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:49 pm

Update:

Hello,

We have reproduced this problem and are working on to fix it in upcoming RouterOS
version.

Regards,
Janis B.

TLDR: next update will contain fix

Excellent! At least you have got a reply, I submitted supout files and have had silence since.

flazzarini
just joined

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:49 pm

Excellent, perfect now we can be certain that it is a real bug and not a configuration/setup problem. :-?

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 am

I've finally had a message back from MikroTik support. They confirmed that bugfix is not compatible with ARM. Nothing about the problem itself.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Just had a response from MikroTik support;
Hello,

We just made a fix specially for RB3011 today. We released 6.35rc15 version.

It fixes multiple problems which are caused by load on router. Is it possible that
you could test it now?

Regards,
XXXXX XXXX
I have just updated my RB3011 just now. Interestingly the release notes state that when the CPU is under high load it generates ether errors but my CPU load barely ever goes above 5% (love that ARM CPU)

sruys
just joined

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:43 pm

Just had a response from MikroTik support;
Hello,

We just made a fix specially for RB3011 today. We released 6.35rc15 version.

It fixes multiple problems which are caused by load on router. Is it possible that
you could test it now?

Regards,
XXXXX XXXX
I have just updated my RB3011 just now. Interestingly the release notes state that when the CPU is under high load it generates ether errors but my CPU load barely ever goes above 5% (love that ARM CPU)

I'll also perform the update tommorow and post the results. @Steve: did the router report the collision errors when you applied the bridge configuration? With my config the errors start as soon as 15 seconds after boot

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:46 pm

I'll also perform the update tommorow and post the results. @Steve: did the router report the collision errors when you applied the bridge configuration? With my config the errors start as soon as 15 seconds after boot
First indications aren't looking good. I've had a collision error already on 2 ports that aren't in the software bridge. I've disabled 1 of them just in case that is a separate problem.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 pm

Still not fixed it, since about 5pm I've accrued pages and pages of error logs stating there is a loop.
come on MT!!!!!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 pm

So for fun here is a screen shot of my current log, note this is on a 1440p machine full window and maxed out to show how many errors come through;

And as it's available I have taken an image from my cacti, these ports don't even have anything plugged in!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:55 pm

Just spotted the RC16 so have upgraded to that.
Fingers crossed I can start professing my love for MikroTik again.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:21 pm

21:13 and we have an error. 19 minutes after upgrade. :(

Just to add so far the error has occurred on ether10 which is my WAN interface with pppoe client on it! :lol:

What's the name of the UBNT router with SFP again?!?!?!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Had a message from support earlier. The good news is that they have now replicated this error how I am reporting it and they are hoping to fix it in the next few days.

I see RC19 is now out but no mention of RB3011 fix so I will wait until prompted by MT support to upgrade.

sruys
just joined

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:03 am

I have now tested with the v6.35rc21 version and still no errors, seems to be solved. I'll report if the errors come back

sruys
just joined

Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:54 pm

I have now tested with the v6.35rc21 version and still no errors, seems to be solved. I'll report if the errors come back
Still not solved... Collisions etc.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:47 pm

Have you seen there is now RC26 as well as new stable version?

I'm waiting for MT support to tell me to use it before I update for fear of making it worse.

sruys
just joined

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:28 pm

Have you seen there is now RC26 as well as new stable version?

I'm waiting for MT support to tell me to use it before I update for fear of making it worse.

Rc26 also bugged

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Have just installed RC29 and I've had about 5 minutes of no errors. Fingers crossed this is the fix.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Just had my first error. Looks like RC29 doesn't contain the fix. :-x

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:20 pm

So I've just had an email from MT support. I am being informed that hopefully they should have a fix this week for the above problem.

Fingers crossed.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Just had the email.
RC37 is the fix to this problem. I have just installed and await to see the fix.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm very happy to say that this is now sorted. No errors since upgrade to RC37.

Well done Tik support!

tkrjasek
just joined

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:03 pm

while it seems log messages has been fixed, there is still some problem with SNMP counters which shows lot of packets for Tx Multicast, Tx Collision, Rx FCS Errors - it doesn't correspond with interface counters at all, maybe they'll mixed in SNMP and show other values instead...

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 pm

while it seems log messages has been fixed, there is still some problem with SNMP counters which shows lot of packets for Tx Multicast, Tx Collision, Rx FCS Errors - it doesn't correspond with interface counters at all, maybe they'll mixed in SNMP and show other values instead...
I am not seeing the same as this. My Cacti is now showing no traffic on disconnected interfaces where before it wasn't.

tkrjasek
just joined

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 am

snmp for traffic seems ok, problem is with ethernet stats - see attached comparism between console and SNMP
I use latest MIB (201604010000Z)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vitaly2016
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:08 am

After updating my RB3011 to Router OS 6.35.1 (Firmware 3.27) I still have sporadic warnings "ether1 excessive broadcasts/multicasts, probably a loop".

ukzerosniper
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any luck getting to the bottom of this? I am experiencing this on a number of RB3011s

Thanks.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat May 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Have all been upgraded to the latest firmware available in the own ROS upgrade (System > Routerboard), and reset at least to no defaults? (if not, netinstalled)?

aoakeley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 08, 2016 4:11 am

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any luck getting to the bottom of this? I am experiencing this on a number of RB3011s

Thanks.
I was also experiencing this on all the 3011's we have. But it seems to be solved in 6.35.2. So far my test router has been running with the bridge interface in place for a day now with no issues

smutsnic

Mon May 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Hi,

I am about to purchase an RB3011 (so don't have my hands on one yet.)
I have worked with MikroTik for a long time.
I have taken the time to plan my configuration (and do research) while waiting for the hardware to arrive.
The configuration I will use is simplistically as follows (there are other elements but I don't believe that they are pertinent to this discussion);

Config:

ether 1: master port
ether 2: slave to 1
ether 3: slave to 1
ether 4: slave to 1
ether 5: slave to 1

sfp 1: Will be setup as management interface

RB3011UiAS-RM
http://routerboard.com/RB3011UiAS-RM

S-RJ01
http://routerboard.com/S-RJ01

Block Diagram
http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/RB3011 ... 123613.png

I was always going to purchase the S-RJ01 SFP interface for my setup, but I did notice a comment on the block diagram
*Switch chip2 (Eth6 - Eth10) has 2Gb/s aggregated lane to CPU until SFP module is inserted in the SFP1

I'm wondering if the insertion (and use) of the SFP module will 'normalise' the operations of switch chip2, as the switch on eth6 - eth10 appears to be were the problems are coming from.

This is just a thought to throw out there to you unhappy souls until I get my hands on the hardware.

Rgds,
Nic