Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

thelostboss
just joined
Topic Author

Absolute beginner with an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 am

Intro: I have been provided with an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and instructions to learn about RouterOS

Problem: At home I use Telstra ADSL broadband with their provided Thomson modem router. This has limited configuration options but currently works within my setup which has multiple computers, mobile phones, tablets and media devices attached. At present it is physically divided by a basic network hub. Half of the property connects directly to the telstra modem [4 ethernet ports in use] and a single cable runs to the rear of the property to a hub. From there a number of other wired ethernet devices are connected.
All devices use the telstra modem as a DHCP server although it is configured to always supply the same address to many of the systems [not all].
I want to remove the hub from the system and put the Mikrotik device in its place. It needs to pass through DHCP to all fixed devices but will have a separate network on its own WiFi. This can either share the DHCP pool of addresses or can be totally separate.

At the moment I am only vaguely familiar with the webfig interface and so would appreciate any advice on how to achieve this [if it is at all possible]

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Absolute beginner with an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 pm

The easiest way is to set up mikrotik as a simple router at the begining . Then you will have a bridge between ether2 and wlan1. Ports from ether3-10 will be with master interface ether2. Remove ether2 from bridge so the routing will be from ether1 to wlan1 and other ports like 2-10 will act as a switch.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:14 pm

There are two independent switches in 2011 so it is not possible to enslave ether 6-10 to ether2.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re:

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:46 pm

There are two independent switches in 2011 so it is not possible to enslave ether 6-10 to ether2.
Didn`t know that, sorry. So i gues there is a switch for 10/100/1000 ports and one for 10/100. Anyway the setup is still the same i think. Wlan1 bridged with one master ports remains for the routed part and master2 port and others in no bridge remains for the switch