Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bytezone
Topic Author

Adding a complete local website to the same x86 routerOS

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Guys I really need your help here .. Due to the lack of electricity on my country (critical situation here in Yemen) I'm runnying my public wifi network based on Solar power so there's no additional power capacity to add one more x86 pc as a web server (at least i will need another 300 Watt to do that)

In short.. Is it possible to add another HDD to the routeros x86 pc that hold a complete media & entertainment website (static website not dynamic I know how to do it). Then I will add a button link to the website home page (home.html) inside status.html page so my clients can access it right after logging through the hotspot login page.

My network diagram is simple: DSL Internet ---> (6.33 MT routeros running as a hotspot server) ----> (unmanaged switch) -----> AP

traffic on the network not exceeding 40 user at the same time.

Thanks in advance MT community people.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:10 am

Ros is not a webserver. But you don't need 300w to run one. Notebooks consume 15-20watts, even more you can use raspberry pi or similar computers or some mobile phone to work as simple webserver. Or you can host your pages on many free hostings so you don't need any computer or electricity for that. Another option is a metarouter with openwrt as webserver directly under ros.

Bytezone
Topic Author

Re: Adding a complete local website to the same x86 routerOS

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:40 pm

Thank you so much jarda for your valuable suggestions..
sure i know mikrotik can't act like a web server that's why i mentioned static website (no need for database or support php libraries)

and for the hosting service on the internet.. it's really a good idea but the problem is such a website needs a big amount of space because i will upload a lot of entertainment videos .. songs and so on.

BTW the hosting device will have to be available all day long as the Wifi network is running so i don't think notebook or raspberry pi will suit my needs, but sure i will search more for a lower consumption device to host the website if there's no other solution

thank you again..

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:12 am

RaspberryPi

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:00 am

Look for small "toys" like these:
https://www.google.pl/search?q=esprimo+ ... C8IQsAQIIg
https://www.google.pl/search?q=M53+Thin ... 40&bih=773
They work with laptop power supply and their power consumption is quite low.
You can also, as jarda already have suggested, use old cheap laptop. Put big power-effcient SSD drive inside it and voila ... web server ready. Laptop's huge adventage is it's battery ... with low solar power it could use battery to work for some time.
If you do not want/like RPi then look for alternatives with SATA connector which lets you expand storage to size which fits your needs: http://beebom.com/2015/09/raspberry-pi- ... ternatives

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 am

And maybe just shared nas will be much more efficient if you want to share videos and music...

Bytezone
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi thank you BartoszP you gave me a lot more good options to look for .. all i need then is to look at the market for such devices as i guess this is the ultimate solution to add a local website to my network.

Thanks to all of you BartoszP, jarda and gotsprings for the help really appreciate that :)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Just come back and share with us how are you going forward.

Bytezone
Topic Author

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Yup sure jarda.. i will make sure to keep you updated with the latest once i finish what i want here at this post :D