Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Bridge config for SXT Lite5 ac (having issues)

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello guys,

I'm having issues bridging 2 SXTs.

The network layout is ADSL Router -> Switch -> SXT ~~~~~ SXT -> hAP

Now these SXTs have two WLAN interfaces. WLAN1 which is 2Ghz and WLAN2 which is the main 5Ghz wireless.

First SXT:
Update and reset. Make sure no DHCP server or NAT is on.
Create bridge1 and add all the interfaces (wlan1+2 and ether1)
Set WLAN2 to "bridge" mode, 5Ghz A/N/AC, NV2 only with 00000000 as security code. Let's call the SSID "Link".
Set DHCP client on bridge1
WLAN1 to "bridge" mode (used for diagnostic/winbox)

Second SXT
Update and reset. Make sure no DHCP server or NAT is on.
Create bridge1 and add all the interfaces (wlan1+2 and ether1)
Set WLAN1 to "bridge" mode (used for diagnostic/winbox)
DHCP client on bridge1.
Set WLAN2 to "station bridge", use Scan and connect to "Link". Go to security tab and enter 00000000. Go to Status tab and confirm connection (though it only says 6mbps - I'm guessing it will jump up with traffic)

hAP
Update and reset. Bridge all connections and config WiFi (no issues here). Set DHCP client on bridge1. No NAT or DHCP server. (This was actually set up before the 2nd SXT so it just shows 0.0.0.0 for IP before wireless bridge is made)

Now the fun starts. I can't connect to any device with winbox. Username is admin, no password. Internet doesn't work. Connecting by MAC address shows "logging in" indefinitely and with IP address it just says "cannot connect".

I can see all 3 devices when I connect to any part of the network (ADSL router or hAP) but nothing is usable. No internet, no winbox. Even though the 3 Mikrotik devices received an IP, if I connect to the hAP or second SXT's 2Ghz bridge I don't receive an IP.

Connecting to the hAP and 2nd SXT works fine BEFORE connecting the wireless bridge.

I previously set up a PtMP network with a Groove and 2 SXTs that is still working flawlessly but I'm not experienced enough to troubleshoot this one (that's why I'm posting this in beginners)

Anybody care to weigh in and help? The distance is like 200m with very good noise floor. The far end will host 3 IP cameras.

TIA
mb

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Are you making a loop? With wlan1 on second sxt? Why are you using wlan1 anyway? Make sure wlan1 is not connecting to anything. Without seeing configs this was my first gues.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re:

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:20 pm

Are you making a loop? With wlan1 on second sxt? Why are you using wlan1 anyway? Make sure wlan1 is not connecting to anything. Without seeing configs this was my first gues.

Both WLAN1's are set up as a "bridge", so they can't connect, I hope that isn't an issue. I'll reset both tomorrow, redo the setup (disable wlan1 - why is wlan1 not the 5ghz anyway, can't use quickset) and export the scripts.

(I used wlan1 just to double check the config since both wifi routers are inside steel buildings)

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Weird indeed but loosing connectivity after link is established sounds like loop but may be something else

mbfound
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re:

Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:53 am

Weird indeed but loosing connectivity after link is established sounds like loop but may be something else

Found the issue, had two bridges on the first SXT. Such a stupid mistake that I want to bang my head on the wall.