Community discussions

MikroTik App

train4media
just joined
Topic Author

pass IPv6 through

Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 am

Hi. I want my devices to use IPv6 along with IPv4. Router is configured with IPv4 and works. The cable modem has an IPv6 address which I want to pass to router and lan afterwards via auto configuration.

I added an /ipv6 dhcp-client on wan side (ether1) with default settings (address only) but nothing shows up in the status pane.

Im quite new to router boards, so I kindly request your help.
Thanks!
Klaus Löfflad
Spezialist für Apple Produkte
http://train4media.de

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: pass IPv6 through

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:46 pm

If dhcp-pd isn't available, then you're probably not going to be able to get it working. Chances are, the modem is expecting clients to use SLAAC (autoconfig) to generate usable addresses. Mikrotik routers don't support interface address configuration via SLAAC, and even if they did, this wouldn't help because you need a prefix that's routed to your router in order to apply it to a LAN-side interface.

Currently, only dhcp-pd (prefix delegation) and static routes in the ISP router can get you up and running in the v6 world via your ISP's native v6.

Is your Mikrotik's wan IP address a public IP or a private one? If the ISP can put their modem into bridged mode so your router can have a public IP address, then it's possible that dhcp-pd would work also - but certainly not guaranteed.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:04 pm

What kind of ipv6 address is your modem geting? maybe it is link local ipv6. If it like fe80:: the means your modem is ipv6 ready but your isp did not actualy use ipv6.

train4media
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:14 am

Thank you for your answers.

My cable model is a Fritzbox from AVM with a set-up SixXS tunnel via heartbeat protocol. So I have a static prefix.

I got several Fritzbox out there this way and when I connect any Mac oder PC to it I have IPv6 instantly. I also can connect other Fritzbox to it and it passes everything through.

I thought there is a setting in Microboard to check to get it run… :-) The WAN IP is public but only IPv4. So I thought a tunnel would help. Would it help to register the tunnel in the Mikrotik? I have tunnels via heartbeat, ayaya and ones for static IPv4. I tried to do so with the help of wiki and youtube tutorials but didn't succeed.
Klaus Löfflad
Spezialist für Apple Produkte
http://train4media.de

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:57 am

Use he.net. it works good for me.

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Thank you for your answers.

My cable model is a Fritzbox from AVM with a set-up SixXS tunnel via heartbeat protocol. So I have a static prefix.

I got several Fritzbox out there this way and when I connect any Mac oder PC to it I have IPv6 instantly. I also can connect other Fritzbox to it and it passes everything through.

I thought there is a setting in Microboard to check to get it run… :-) The WAN IP is public but only IPv4. So I thought a tunnel would help. Would it help to register the tunnel in the Mikrotik? I have tunnels via heartbeat, ayaya and ones for static IPv4. I tried to do so with the help of wiki and youtube tutorials but didn't succeed.
Do you own and/or control the Fritzbox? It sounds like you've configured the Fritzbox to get IPv6 via a tunnel - if you want to connect a router behind a router, then you'll need to create a static route in the Fritzbox - route one or more /64 prefixes to the Mikrotik's wan interface.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.