Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

zespri
just joined
Topic Author

Slave interfaces vs Bridge

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:55 am

Hello all,

I would like to know what exactly is a "slave interface" on router os parlance. I've googled, and this term does not seem to appear anywhere outside of mirkotik/routeros context.

This page http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... figuration for example talking about removing interfaces from a bridge and adding them as slaves to a single interface that is in a bridge.

Could you please explain what difference it makes and what a slave interface is?

As far as I understand on a very layman level of mine, a bridge combines interfaces for L2 routing so they do not have their own IP addresses. This is useful because from outside of the bridge it does not matter what interface inside the bridge your device is on (it can be connect to a wireless interface or another wireless interface or to Ethernet interface) you just set up your routing with the bridge and the bridge takes care of the rest.

In this respect I'm not sure what a slave interface is for... the end result seems to be the same?

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:17 am

Bridge use router cpu, slaves use switch cpu for more performance , this is the difference.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

zespri
just joined
Topic Author

Re:

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:02 pm

Thank you.

nxs02
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Slave interfaces vs Bridge

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:18 pm

so which is better for peformance? router cpu or switch cpu.

kiaunel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Switch CPU is better.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

zespri
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Slave interfaces vs Bridge

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Switch cpu is purpose built to do packet switching, so it's supposed to be better. Router cpu is a general purpose CPU that does basically everything in RouterOS, so there must be overhead.