Community discussions

MikroTik App

maniraj4143
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS Downgrading Issue.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm trying to downgrade RouterOS v6.34.2 to RouterOS v6.23. I've tried almost all methods to downgrade ROS but none of them worked for me except netinstall. The product is SXT Lite5 which I want to downgrade and it is coming with RouterOS v6.34.2 by default.

Current Routerboard firmware is 3.24

In the log getting this message "system, error : omitting package routeros-mipsbe-6.23: min RouterOS version is 6.34.2"

Steps I performed;
  1. Put the routeros-mipsbe-6.23.npk in files from winbox, then executed the command from terminal /system package downgrade. Device rebooted but no change.
  2. Also tried from the winbox menu system>packages>Downgrade, Device rebooted but still no change.
May anyone tell me about this issue or am I doing something wrong.

FezzFest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RouterOS Downgrading Issue.

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:36 am

I'm having the same issue with devices running 6.34.6. I'm trying to downgrade to 6.32.4 (last bugfix), as most of the netwerk is running this release.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:14 am

There is a feature preventing the downgrade below the original version with which the router was shipped from factory.
Maybe netinstall can rewrite it but I wouldn't bet on it.
You can try and see.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:01 am

It will not work. Downgrade can break compatibility, worsen performance or make device unusable. Parts are changed often, new RouterOS/RouterBOOT is needed to support new revision of hardware. 

cdman92
just joined

Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:53 pm

In my opinion this is a mess.... For a long time I am using MikroTik and no problem with downgrading, and now it is not possible to downgrade!!

Upgrading to last version usually break features, so we have to use old an homologated versions for our purposes. Now, every time a router is bought, it may come with a newer version, which has to be homologated (and sometimes crashing and having to wait for next releases), which waste a lot of time!!!

I think all the routers should support all version (just was it happened until now), otherwise ¿why is there a legacy version and download archive available if these cannot be loaded in any router? At least, some old version should be supported, for example bugfix releases...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:07 pm

How would you ensure that new hardware will be in the future backwards compatible with your old software?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:13 pm

We are not talking about upgrading here, don't mix up things please. The router came with this version from factory, so there is no "upgrade that breaks things". 

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:19 pm

In my opinion this is a mess....
I think it is the same with all manufacturers...   downgrading is possible when you buy new equipment that is the same
as what you already had, but when the new equipment is different and requires some minimal OS version you cannot
downgrade below that version.  Inconvenient, yes, but not easily solved.
The only thing you can nitpick on is: new hardware being released under the same model# but still different.
Often other manufacturers mention it in the model# as with a v2 v3 etc suffix so at least you know you are going to be
affected when buying that.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:28 pm

In my opinion this is a mess....
I think it is the same with all manufacturers...   downgrading is possible when you buy new equipment that is the same
as what you already had, but when the new equipment is different and requires some minimal OS version you cannot
downgrade below that version.  Inconvenient, yes, but not easily solved.
The only thing you can nitpick on is: new hardware being released under the same model# but still different.
Often other manufacturers mention it in the model# as with a v2 v3 etc suffix so at least you know you are going to be
affected when buying that.
We sometimes change a few minor parts, but changing the name would mean doing new certification, even if the wireless parts are not affected. 

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:10 pm

We sometimes change a few minor parts, but changing the name would mean doing new certification, even if the wireless parts are not affected. 
When looking at routers from e.g. Thomson/Alcatel/Technicolor or AVM they have a v2 etc suffix but it is not printed highly
visible on the case, only on the product label.  No idea if this requires new certification.
E.g. with AVM Fritzbox it is the same thing as the poster does not like: a v2 requires firmware from some release and firmware
later than some release cannot be installed on an original model anymore.
Of course when the version indication is not part of the primary model# you run the risk that it is not well specified at a shop
site, you think you are buying some model but you get another version of the same thing and have the same issue again.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm

We only change the name if the parts somehow affect performance or user experience. If we reduce number of parts, make the PCB design more efficient to manufacture - the device works the same. So we don't change the name. Only if there is change in speed, ports etc. 

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:52 pm

The question of course is if "can run RouterOS 6.23" is part of the user experience.
For this user apparently yes.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Then it should be part of business agreement with the distributor.

cdman92
just joined

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:35 pm

Some time ago (jut when I noticed about this problem), I contacted MikroTik support and they told me that 6.34 would be long term supported, with 6.34.5 (in fact it was later 6.34.6 because of a bug in 6.34.5). Today I found the same issue with a router coming with the 6.35.2, which is older than 6.34.6, and it doesn't let me downgrade to the 6.34.6

I need a version that is supported for a long time. I wonder, if hardware changes does not affect performance or user experience ¿why they are not allowed to be downgraded? 

This wouldn't be a problem if there are critical updates from year to year, bet there are critical upgrades every week, and it is not feasible to homologate a new version every week!

agharachirag2005
just joined

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi
I am unable to downgrade version.

Please Help team.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:39 pm

First read what already has been written above.
When you still need assistance start a new topic that mentions the details of your problem,
not just a broad statement.