Community discussions

MikroTik App

pohutukawa
Topic Author

[SOLVED] Printer shared to second LAN?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 am

Hi folks

Quick question: one LAN (192.168.2.x) is splitting into two (192.168.2.x LAN A and 192.168.3.x LAN B), each with their own internet connection.

I'm configuring LAN B with a Mikrotik RB750 with simple setup with a DHCP client on the WAN port which is fibre with VLAN tagging.

LAN A has a Juniper SRX (not under my control).

So far so good (thanks to these great forums and the guidance they provide!) ... LAN B has working internet and switch via the RB750.

Trouble is, both LANs need to share a networked printer which has a fixed IP of 192.168.2.250

The admin of the SRX has said they would give LAN B a fixed IP of 192.168.2.253 on one of the Mikrotik's ports.

How do I configure the Mikrotik so users and LAN B can setup and print to this printer?

Any help/guidance much appreciated.

Thank you.

Robin
Last edited by pohutukawa on Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Printer shared to second LAN?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:16 pm

You only need to set that address 192.168.2.253/24 on one of the ports of the MikroTik and take that port out of
the switch or bridge used for the LAN.   Then connect it to the other network.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:49 am

You only need to set that address 192.168.2.253/24 on one of the ports of the MikroTik and take that port out of
the switch or bridge used for the LAN.   Then connect it to the other network.
Thank you for the response!
I think I can manage that, but how does this then become connected with the switch (virtually?)?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:00 am

With a cable, of course, running from the port on the MikroTik where that address is configured to any port on the switch.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:24 am

With a cable, of course, running from the port on the MikroTik where that address is configured to any port on the switch.
Of course!  :D
So cable from SRX to Mikrotik port (say) 5.
Then configure (in the Mikrotik) port 5 with a fixed IP of 192.168.2.253/24, which would allow the devices on 192.168.2.x to reach the devices on the other LAN 192.168.3.x ?  :shock:

Revelation

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Then configure (in the Mikrotik) port 5 with a fixed IP of 192.168.2.253/24, which would allow the devices on 192.168.2.x to reach the devices on the other LAN 192.168.3.x ?  :shock:
If you wish to only allow communication between the 192.168.3.0/24 and 192.168.2.250(printer IP) then you will want to configure a firewall rule which only permits said communication between the networks and will deny all other traffic between them.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:35 am

If you wish to only allow communication between the 192.168.3.0/24 and 192.168.2.250(printer IP) then you will want to configure a firewall rule which only permits said communication between the networks and will deny all other traffic between them.
Hi, thank you. I can see this is an important point as both LANs have different routers etc. This will prevent a lot of cross-talk.
What would this rule look like?
Thanks!

Revelation

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:28 am

Hi, thank you. I can see this is an important point as both LANs have different routers etc. This will prevent a lot of cross-talk.
What would this rule look like?
Thanks!
Something like this:
chain=forward action=accept src-address=192.168.3.0/24 dst-address=192.168.2.250/32 log=no log-prefix=""
chain=forward action=accept src-address=192.168.2.250/32 dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 log=no log-prefix=""
chain=forward action=drop src-address=192.168.2.0/24 dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 log=no log-prefix=""
Depending on the rest of your firewall rule set, you will have to move these so that they filter the traffic at the correct point in the process. 

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:56 am

A followup!

Would it be possible to have two separate LANs both 192.168.2.x each with own router, and share a printer on LAN1 (192.168.2.50 say) with LAN2 (router is Mikrotik) ?

LAN1 is using a Juniper SRX as its router.

Or does LAN2 need to be running a completely different subnet i.e./e.g. 192.168.3.x ?

TIA!

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Almost! But where is the missing piece to the puzzle? Re: Printer shared to second LAN?

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:51 pm

OK thanks to help from the forum, I'm almost there. :D

After this configuration, using a terminal window in Winbox, I can ping the printer (LAN B at IP 192.168.2.152) i.e. from the Mikrotik, and can ping the Mikrotik from LAN B at IP 192.168.2.250.

(previously the printer was at 192.168.2.150 and the fixed IP for the Mikrotik's port on LAN B was 192.168.2.253, but these have changed).

But I can't figure out why I still can't reach (ping/configure) the printer (192.168.2.152 on LAN B) from clients on LAN A.

I have included the complete configuration below.

Can anybody spot anything obvious (or, hopefully, not so obvious!) than find the missing puzzle piece?

Thank you!

Robin
# Mikrotik has internet via PPPoE tagged on VLAN10
# LAN A 192.168.3.0/24 is primary LAN
# LAN B 192.168.2.0/24 is another LAN with a printer at IP 192.168.2.152
# LAN B's switch is connected with a patch cable to ethernet port 3 on Mikrotik 
# The goal is to allow workstations on LAN A to use the printer on LAN B
#
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] comment="ether2 LAN" name=LAN
set [ find default-name=ether1 ] comment="ether1 WAN port" name=WAN
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] comment="printer on LAN B"
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] arp=disabled comment=spare master-port=LAN
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] arp=disabled comment=spare master-port=LAN
/ip neighbor discovery
set LAN comment="ether2 LAN A"
set WAN comment="ether1 WAN port internet"
set ether3 comment="printer LAN B"
set ether4 comment=spare
set ether5 comment=spare
/interface vlan
add interface=WAN name=VLAN10 vlan-id=10
/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes comment="ISP PPPoE client WAN" disabled=no \
    interface=VLAN10 max-mru=1480 max-mtu=1480 mrru=1600 name=pppoe-out1 \
    password=xxxxxxxxxx use-peer-dns=yes user=yyy@zzz
/ip neighbor discovery
set pppoe-out1 comment="ISP PPPoE client WAN"
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] supplicant-identity=MikroTik
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.3.50-192.168.3.150 comment="DHCP pool for LAN A"
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=LAN lease-time=1d name=dhcp1
/ip neighbor discovery settings
set default=no
/ip address
add address=192.168.3.254/24 comment="LAN A" interface=LAN network=\
add address=192.168.2.250/24 comment=\
    "Mikrotik's ethernet#3 port has 192.168.2.250 IP on LAN B" interface=ether3 \
    network=192.168.2.0
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=WAN
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.3.0/24 comment="DHCP to LAN" gateway=192.168.3.254
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip firewall address-list
add address=xx.xx.xx.xx comment="management IP" list="Allowed IPs"
add address=192.168.3.0/24 comment="allow management from LAN A" list="Allowed IPs"
add address= xx.xx.xx.xx comment="management IP" list="Allowed IPs"
/ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="allow ping from LAN B" disabled=\
    yes dst-address=192.168.2.250 protocol=icmp src-address=192.168.2.0/24
add action=accept chain=forward comment=\
    "allow traffic from LAN A 192.168.3.0 to printer IP 192.168.2.152 on LAN B" dst-address=\
    192.168.2.152 src-address=192.168.3.0/24
    "allow traffic from LAN B printer IP 192.168.2.152 to LAN A" dst-address=\
    192.168.3.0/24 src-address=192.168.2.152
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
    "drop all other traffic from LAN B 192.168.2.0/24" dst-address=\
    192.168.3.0/24 src-address=192.168.2.0/24
add action=accept chain=input comment="winbox admin from WAN" dst-port=8291 \
    protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment=\
    "Accept connections TO router from allowed IPs" src-address-list=\
    "Allowed IPs"
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop invalid packets THROUGH router" \
    connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Accept new connections from LAN" \
    connection-state=new in-interface=pppoe-out1
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow related connections" \
    connection-state=related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow established connections" \
    connection-state=established
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
    "Drop all other traffic THROUGH the router" disabled=yes
    "Allow etablished connections to the router" connection-state=established
    "Allow related connections to the router" connection-state=related
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop all other traffic TO the router"
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop invalid packets TO router" \
    connection-state=invalid
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="Allow outgoing traffic" \
    dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 out-interface=pppoe-out1
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set www-ssl disabled=no
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes

/system identity
set name="MikroTik"
/system note
set note=\
    "Authorised administrators only. Access to this device is monitored."
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes server-dns-names=us.pool.ntp.org,pool.ntp.org

Revelation

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:08 am

Alright, there are some issues... You can't just rely on a /24 network between the routers to route your traffic effectively. I created a rudimentary diagram to show how you can set this up and have it work. You can adjust the IPs as needed.

Now the ip route commands are probably not the correct syntax for Mikrotik, it should get you close. You have to inform the routers where to send packets. Instead of using IPs from your /24 LAN, we'll use a different address space to keep things simple. This can be done with addresses from your LAN, just for now change it up. The ".1" and ".2" represent the last octect of that network address space going between the routers. When it comes to the routes, you have to point the traffic you are trying to reach to the remote or distance interface. Your firewall rules will still come into play, if you want to limit traffic into and out of the network.

Hopefully this makes more sense for you and you can quickly get things setup the way you want it.

pohutukawa.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:33 am

Alright, there are some issues... You can't just rely on a /24 network between the routers to route your traffic effectively. I created a rudimentary diagram to show how you can set this up and have it work. You can adjust the IPs as needed.

Now the ip route commands are probably not the correct syntax for Mikrotik, it should get you close. You have to inform the routers where to send packets. Instead of using IPs from your /24 LAN, we'll use a different address space to keep things simple. This can be done with addresses from your LAN, just for now change it up. The ".1" and ".2" represent the last octect of that network address space going between the routers. When it comes to the routes, you have to point the traffic you are trying to reach to the remote or distance interface. Your firewall rules will still come into play, if you want to limit traffic into and out of the network.

Hopefully this makes more sense for you and you can quickly get things setup the way you want it.

pohutukawa.png
Hi and thanks for your helpful reply, complete with diagram!

The situation is as you have it, but the Mikrotik and Juniper routers are reversed i.e. the printer is on the Juniper network.

If I understand you correctly, are you suggesting a third subnet comprising of a single port from each router?

If so, I'm guessing that this is how each router "knows" how to route traffic to the respective ports? If so, what rules, etc. would be involved?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Regards

Robin

Revelation

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:43 am

Okay, no problem on the IPs. The information below is based on the diagram to keep things clear, change the IPs to meet your actual environment.

The /30 between them is important. Both routers will know of the directly connected route automatically. What you then do is add routing statements to send the traffic for the printer over that network.

For Mikrotik I think it would go like:
/ip route
add dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 gateway=ether3

The Juniper would be something like: (it's been a long time since I touched a Juniper)
set static route 192.168.2.250/32 next-hop 192.168.5.1

Revelation

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:46 am

Once you have the /30 configured between them, go ahead and ping the remote IP from each box. before we get into configuring routes and FW rules, lets make sure the basics are working.

If both ping successfully, move on to creating the static routes. You then want to test that by pinging the Printer's IP address from the remote LAN. Now you want to add FW rules to limit traffic and test again to ensure you maintain the desired level of connectivity.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:16 am

Hey pe1chl, are you around? Tried to contact you via forum but maybe we need to be "friends" first?

Thanks!

Robin

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:56 am

Revelation has explained to you how to do this.
I would add that on the MikroTik you should not use gateway=ether3 but use the IP of the Juniper in that field.
IP firewall rules are what you want them to be. You need to understand and setup that yourself, or else
you will have problems with this forever. Outsiders cannot know all your requirements. When you have no
requirements, you can just remove all forward rules.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:27 am

Once you have the /30 configured between them, go ahead and ping the remote IP from each box. before we get into configuring routes and FW rules, lets make sure the basics are working.

If both ping successfully, move on to creating the static routes. You then want to test that by pinging the Printer's IP address from the remote LAN. Now you want to add FW rules to limit traffic and test again to ensure you maintain the desired level of connectivity.
Hi and thanks again for your help.

I think I've got my head around this, but I have a problem: the administrators of the Juniper box have given me a fixed IP and basically said that I need to sort it out from there. Additionally, the Juniper side is a busy network for most hours so it's difficult to get in and experiment for fear of crashing their network routing or something.

Is there any other way of achieving this just from the Mikrotik side?

I do appreciate you taking the time to contribute. I have done quite a bit of research and haven't come up with anything particularly useful!

Regards
Robin

Revelation

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:34 pm

I think I've got my head around this, but I have a problem: the administrators of the Juniper box have given me a fixed IP and basically said that I need to sort it out from there. Additionally, the Juniper side is a busy network for most hours so it's difficult to get in and experiment for fear of crashing their network routing or something.

I do appreciate you taking the time to contribute. I have done quite a bit of research and haven't come up with anything particularly useful!

Regards
Robin
Since we only discussed static routes you can't "crash their network routing."

On the Juniper side, what is the IP of the interface that connects to the Mikrotik or is it setup as a switchport? Unless they intend for you to setup a NAT with their IP they will have to have some routing changes to point back to your network for relevant data flows.

Redo the diagram with the correct IPs and connection information so we can make sure we are talking "on the same page."

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:01 am

Regards
Robin

On the Juniper side, what is the IP of the interface that connects to the Mikrotik or is it setup as a switchport? Unless they intend for you to setup a NAT with their IP they will have to have some routing changes to point back to your network for relevant data flows.

Redo the diagram with the correct IPs and connection information so we can make sure we are talking "on the same page."
Hi Revelation, thanks for the additional info.

I have made a diagram (see below). Please let me know if something isn't clear and I will update!

Your comment regarding NAT with their IP is particularly interesting. I think that this is their preferred configuration.

Regards

Robin

Revelation

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Regards
Robin

I have made a diagram (see below). Please let me know if something isn't clear and I will update!

Your comment regarding NAT with their IP is particularly interesting. I think that this is their preferred configuration.

Regards

Robin

I don't see a diagram, could also be my work computer - they provide a POS.

I'm at work, so I cannot verify syntax. Basically the IP they provided will be assigned to your interface. You will then setup an ip route, if it is not added automatically, to reach all of the /24 address space using that IP / interface.

You will setup nat with masquerade using that IP. This will be in addition to your NAT for traffic leaving through your WAN. When I have a chance, after I am off of work, I will lab it up and see if there is any need for additional configs.

**EDIT**
You will probably want or need a firewall rule allowing your subnet to reach the printer IP via that NAT. That way only that specific traffic uses that NAT and for everything else the default route out through your WAN.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Regards
Robin

Regards

Robin

I'm at work, so I cannot verify syntax. Basically the IP they provided will be assigned to your interface. You will then setup an ip route, if it is not added automatically, to reach all of the /24 address space using that IP / interface.

You will setup nat with masquerade using that IP. This will be in addition to your NAT for traffic leaving through your WAN. When I have a chance, after I am off of work, I will lab it up and see if there is any need for additional configs.

**EDIT**
You will probably want or need a firewall rule allowing your subnet to reach the printer IP via that NAT. That way only that specific traffic uses that NAT and for everything else the default route out through your WAN.
Hi Again!

Just a quick reply with some links for the image...

https://s22.postimg.io/4r6uq2kz5/network.png

or shortened with Goo.gl:
goo.gl/hrXkyX

Can you see those?

Could aways email…

Regards

Robin

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Regards
Robin

Regards

Robin

**EDIT**
Hi, did the links work for you?

Thanks!

Robin

Revelation

Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Regards
Robin

Regards

Robin

**EDIT**
Hi, did the links work for you?

Thanks!

Robin

Yep, I see the diagram. Sorry this is the first time I have been able to take another look at this. I am running it in a lab now to verify what I have in my head will work.

Revelation

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Again!

goo.gl/hrXkyX

Can you see those?

Could aways email…

Regards

Robin

Hey Robin,

Got it sorted and what I was thinking was correct. So I am going to assume that you have a masquerade for your LAN traffic to go out your WAN interface already based on the diagram.

Next we want to configure another NAT:
chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.3.0/24 dst-address=192.168.2.152 out-interface=ether3 log=no log-prefix=""
We now want to configure firewall rules to permit traffic to reach the Printer and to deny any traffic coming into your network that isn't supposed to:
chain=forward action=accept src-address=192.168.3.0/24 dst-address=192.168.2.152 out-interface=ether3 log=no log-prefix=""
chain=forward action=accept src-address=192.168.2.152 dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 in-interface=ether3 log=no log-prefix=""
chain=forward action=drop src-address=192.168.2.0/24 dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 log=no log-prefix=""
With this config it also limits your LAN hosts from reaching any other IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 network. Obviously you can change that should your needs change down the road.

This should get you where you need to be.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:23 am

Hi Again!

goo.gl/hrXkyX

Can you see those?

Could aways email…

Regards

Robin

Hey Robin,

Got it sorted and what I was thinking was correct. So I am going to assume that you have a masquerade for your LAN traffic to go out your WAN interface already based on the diagram.

Next we want to configure another NAT:
chain=srcnat action=masquerade src-address=192.168.3.0/24 dst-address=192.168.2.152 out-interface=ether3 log=no log-prefix=""
We now want to configure firewall rules to permit traffic to reach the Printer and to deny any traffic coming into your network that isn't supposed to:
chain=forward action=accept src-address=192.168.3.0/24 dst-address=192.168.2.152 out-interface=ether3 log=no log-prefix=""
chain=forward action=accept src-address=192.168.2.152 dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 in-interface=ether3 log=no log-prefix=""
With this config it also limits your LAN hosts from reaching any other IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 network. Obviously you can change that should your needs change down the road.

This should get you where you need to be.
Hey Revelation

Thanks! I will try this configuration and see how I get on.

With my earlier configuration, I was firstly missing the NAT masquerade and additionally did not have ether3 as out/in interfaces on the first two firewall rules.

On the drop firewall rule (your #3 above) do I need to specify any in/out interface(s)?

Cheerio

Robin

Revelation

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Hey Revelation

With my earlier configuration, I was firstly missing the NAT masquerade and additionally did not have ether3 as out/in interfaces on the first two firewall rules.

On the drop firewall rule (your #3 above) do I need to specify any in/out interface(s)?

Cheerio

Robin
The reason I like using interface on the NAT option is in case the Juniper admin ever forces you to change the IP address assigned, or switches it to DHCP. For the Firewall rules, you really don't need the interface option on those; I add them out of habit.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:42 am

Hey Revelation

Cheerio

Robin
The reason I like using interface on the NAT option is in case the Juniper admin ever forces you to change the IP address assigned, or switches it to DHCP. For the Firewall rules, you really don't need the interface option on those; I add them out of habit.
Hi Revelation

Well that worked fantastically and exactly as expected.

Thank you so much for your help with this. I've learned a lot, which will also apply to other situations I'm sure to face so thank you for your help on the education front also!

Best wishes

Robin

Revelation

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Hi Revelation

Thank you so much for your help with this. I've learned a lot, which will also apply to other situations I'm sure to face so thank you for your help on the education front also!

Best wishes

Robin
Glad everything is working as expected.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:23 am

Hi Revelation

Best wishes

Robin
Glad everything is working as expected.
Hi Revelation

One minor issue has arisen whereby Macs on both networks can see one another via Bonjour, which as far as I can ascertain uses UDP 5353 Multicast.

Do I need to define a specific firewall rule dropping all UDP packets between the two LANs and if so what would that look like?

I did find this:
Multicast DNS operates over UDP (IP protocol 17) with a destination port 5353 and a source port above 1024. The destination address is, of course, a multicast address (in the 224.0.0.0 range). Responses to mDNS multicasts originate from UDP port 5353, but are bound for a random high port above 1024. Simply defining a rule that allows traffic to and from UDP port 5353 won’t work, because while outbound traffic will be correctly matched the responses to those outbound requests won’t be matched and will be dropped (assuming the default action is to deny traffic). So, a sample rule to be added to ipfw might look something like this:

add 2008 allow udp from 10.1.1.0/24 5353 to any 1024-65535 in via en0
Although this is for another (opposite) situation it seems that I might need to deny UDP traffic from 192.168.2.0/24 from port 5353 to any port 1024-65535 in 192.168.3.0/24 somehow?

I'm thinking something like:

add action=drop interface=ether3 chain=udp src-address=192.168.2.0/24 src-port=5353 dst-port=1024-65535 protocol=udp comment="deny bonjour traffic between LANs"

Last edit for the day (!):
I found this article about blocking Bonjour but can't translate it into a Mikrotik FW rule! (not for lack of trying!):
https://scottiestech.info/2015/05/14/ho ... l-network/

Thanks!

Robin

Revelation

Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:08 am

Hi Revelation

One minor issue has arisen whereby Macs on both networks can see one another via Bonjour, which as far as I can ascertain uses UDP 5353 Multicast.

Do I need to define a specific firewall rule dropping all UDP packets between the two LANs and if so what would that look like?
If you set up your firewall rules to only allow traffic to and from the printer IP, this should not be a problem at all. If you wish to have more access between your networks then you can look at blocking the ports used by Bonjour. You should only need ports 5353, 5297, 5298 blocked.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:45 am

If you set up your firewall rules to only allow traffic to and from the printer IP, this should not be a problem at all. If you wish to have more access between your networks then you can look at blocking the ports used by Bonjour. You should only need ports 5353, 5297, 5298 blocked.
Hi Revelation

I have attempted to do this with rules #0 and #1, and drop all other traffic with rule #3 (see screenshot linked below).

Imageimage hosting over 5mb

The relevant script is:
/ip firewall filter
    "Allow traffic from .3.0/24 to printer .2.152" dst-address=192.168.2.152 \
    dst-address-type="" out-interface=ether3 src-address=192.168.3.0/24 \
    src-address-type=""
    "Allow traffic from printer .2.152 to .3.x/24" dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 \
    in-interface=ether3 src-address=192.168.2.152
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop all other traffic from .2.0/24" \
    dst-address=192.168.3.0/24 src-address=192.168.2.0/24
add action=accept chain=input comment="winbox admin from WAN" dst-port=8291 \
    protocol=tcp
    "Accept connections TO router from allowed IPs" src-address-list=\
    "Allowed IPs"
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop invalid packets THROUGH router" \
    connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Accept new connections from LAN" \
    connection-state=new in-interface=pppoe-out1
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow related connections" \
    connection-state=related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="Allow established connections" \
    connection-state=established
    "Allow etablished connections to the router" connection-state=established
    "Allow related connections to the router" connection-state=related
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop all other traffic TO the router"
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop invalid packets TO router" \
    connection-state=invalid
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="Allow outgoing traffic" \
    dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 out-interface=pppoe-out1
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment=\
    "Masquerade/NAT ether3 to the .2.0/24 LAN with printer IP as destination" \
    dst-address=192.168.2.152 out-interface=ether3 src-address=192.168.3.0/24
What have I missed?

Maybe it is something to do with the order of rules?

Regards

Robin

Revelation

Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi Revelation

I have attempted to do this with rules #0 and #1, and drop all other traffic with rule #3 (see screenshot linked below).

What have I missed?

Regards

Robin
Add in a drop rule for your traffic going to any other IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 network space.

Once you have that in place you should not have any other issues with Bonjour.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi Revelation

What have I missed?

Regards

Robin
Add in a drop rule for your traffic going to any other IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 network space.

Great, OK can I assume that I need to drop this traffic both directions?

Like this?:
add chain=forward protocol=tcp in-interface=ether3 src-address=!192.168.2.152 action=drop
add chain=forward protocol=tcp out-interface=ether3 dst-address=!192.168.2.152 action=drop
Thanks!

Robin

Revelation

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi Revelation

What have I missed?

Regards

Robin

Like this?:
add chain=forward protocol=tcp in-interface=ether3 src-address=!192.168.2.152 action=drop
add chain=forward protocol=tcp out-interface=ether3 dst-address=!192.168.2.152 action=drop
Thanks!

Robin
No, just add another rule dropping your traffic from reaching any IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 address space. You place that right after your permit to 192.168.2.152 for the printer.

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi Revelation

What have I missed?

Regards

Robin

Like this?:
Thanks!

Robin
No, just add another rule dropping your traffic from reaching any IP in the 192.168.2.0/24 address space. You place that right after your permit to 192.168.2.152 for the printer.
Hi Revelation

Yep I understand. Isn't that what the second of the two rules above does? (using the !=not)

Could you give me an example rule?

This is where I'm at currently:
/ip firewall filter
    out-interface=ether3 src-address=192.168.3.0/24

With this rule dropping the other traffic, but it doesn't seem to work:
Should I maybe be looking to drop traffic in the other direction? I'm just unclear on how to drop it all in a bidirectional way!

Cheerio

Robin

Revelation

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:57 am

Hi Revelation

Yep I understand. Isn't that what the second of the two rules above does? (using the !=not)

/ip firewall filter

Should I maybe be looking to drop traffic in the other direction? I'm just unclear on how to drop it all in a bidirectional way!

Cheerio

Robin[/quote]

I have never used a "not" rule with mikrotik or any other FW so I cannot comment on the expected behavior.

You will want to add the following, example, after the permit for the printer rule.
add action=drop chain=forward dst-address=192.168.2.0/24 src-address=192.168.3.0/24

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:15 am

Hi Revelation

/ip firewall filter

Cheerio

Robin
I have never used a "not" rule with mikrotik or any other FW so I cannot comment on the expected behavior.

You will want to add the following, example, after the permit for the printer rule.
add action=drop chain=forward dst-address=192.168.2.0/24 src-address=192.168.3.0/24[/quote]

Thanks. Added this (see screenshot below) but Bonjour still works.

Do I need to specify the interface?

I feel like there is something simple missing! :D

Imagephoto hosting

Regards

Robin

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:50 am

So a quick note here to say that I solved this issue.

Some unknown person had managed to connect the switches of both LANs directly via cable.

Once I discovered this by a process of elimination, everything worked fine.

Thanks again to Revelation for all the help and patience.

Regards

Robin