Community discussions

MikroTik App

yolovs
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik Bridge mode - pain and more pain

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi all,

I have two devices (laptop and industrial PLC) which have to be connected to Wifi network and accessed from outside.
We bought Mikrotik SXT SA5 (SXT G-5HPnD r2), RouterOS is 6.36.2 (stable), architecture is mipsbe. We got 7 devices.
I configured the device as bridge - it is connected to Alcatel AP.

I have got the following problems:

My question is related to IP address. To which interface I have to apply the IP address? I have got bridge1, ether1 and wlan1 interfaces!
When I apply IP address to ether1 interface, after a reboot, the device is working but I was not able to connect to device with Winbox. it is only working when I assign IP address to bridge1. In that case when I open Quick Set menu, it is complaining that IP address was not set!
What is the right way?

Because the bridge1 interface is master and ether1 and wlan1 are slaves I got errors in firewall configuration.
Regarding defconf: drop all from WAN and defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed, matcher needs to be on master interface. As soon as switch from wlan1 to bridge1 interface and reboot, I was not able to connect to the Mikrotik SXT SA5 device with Winbox eny more even it is shown in neighborhood list.

In addition Winbox (v3.4) sporadically starts to disconnect randomly!!!

So what is the problem with:
- sporadically randomly disconnecting of Winbox v3.4?
- configuration issue in firewall defconf: drop all from WAN and defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed rules?
- IP address business - which interface to use?

I am tired of configuration reset and configure the Mikrotik SXT SA5 device again and again!
Any help is highly appreciated!

Svetozar Yolov
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Mikrotik Bridge mode - pain and more pain

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Everything must be configured on master interface.

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I have two devices (laptop and industrial PLC) which have to be connected to Wifi network and accessed from outside.
We bought Mikrotik SXT SA5 (SXT G-5HPnD r2), RouterOS is 6.36.2 (stable), architecture is mipsbe. We got 7 devices.
I configured the device as bridge - it is connected to Alcatel AP.

I have got the following problems:

My question is related to IP address. To which interface I have to apply the IP address? I have got bridge1, ether1 and wlan1 interfaces!
When I apply IP address to ether1 interface, after a reboot, the device is working but I was not able to connect to device with Winbox. it is only working when I assign IP address to bridge1. In that case when I open Quick Set menu, it is complaining that IP address was not set!
What is the right way?

Because the bridge1 interface is master and ether1 and wlan1 are slaves I got errors in firewall configuration.
Regarding defconf: drop all from WAN and defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed, matcher needs to be on master interface. As soon as switch from wlan1 to bridge1 interface and reboot, I was not able to connect to the Mikrotik SXT SA5 device with Winbox eny more even it is shown in neighborhood list.

In addition Winbox (v3.4) sporadically starts to disconnect randomly!!!

So what is the problem with:
- sporadically randomly disconnecting of Winbox v3.4?
- configuration issue in firewall defconf: drop all from WAN and defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed rules?
- IP address business - which interface to use?
For the IP address, if the wireless interface and eth1 are in the same network and has to be routed, set the adress on the bridge and put those two interfaces in the bridge.
Disconnecting Winbox. Happens mostly in Mac sessions instead of IP sessions. When it happens open Winbox again and close the open screens in Winbox with the "esc" key until Winbox is empty. Most of the times it will crash one more time and then you are good to go.
And quickset. Please do not use it.

yolovs
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:55 pm

to: Dude2048
Many thanks Sir for quick and thorough advises!

Any comment about firewall settings?
I just put bridge1 as "in interface" and after reboot I can not connect to device with winbox anymore!

Thanks,

yolovs
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:57 pm

just forget to add screenshots!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Your WAN interface is not Bridge1 but one of the Ether interfaces. That should be there. I don't know if you have changed the basic config any further. So try.

What you can do, but is poses a risk, is to disable the firewall for a moment and activate one rule at the time until the "error" occurs Then you have a point to work from.

yolovs
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Just put "all ethernet" in "in interface", and it is looks OK now! Can login with winbox after a reboot!

Cheers!