Community discussions

MikroTik App

berkhoff
just joined
Topic Author

EoIP and DHCP question

Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:24 am

I am trying to bridge two sites using EoIP tunnels. One site (A) should be running the DHCP server and the other site (B) should support WLAN clients that become part of the L2 network at A and request an IP address from A.

DHCP Server <-> LAN A <-> ether5 <-> bridge <-> EoIP tunnel (id=101) <-> Internet <-> EoIP tunnel (id=101) <-> bridge <-> wlan1 <-> WLAN B <-> DHCP Client

However, after associating the WLAN client, no DHCP response seems to be received so the clients won't connect.
I cannot find any traces in the logs of A nor B. Should I include a DHCP Relay somewhere ?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

nwton
just joined

Re: EoIP and DHCP question

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 am

First, check that the channel is functional using static IP addresses. Then you can start to fix the DHCP service.
Verify that the DHCP server binding to an bridge interface, rather than an ordinary LAN.

jaytcsd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: EoIP and DHCP question

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:19 am

I have 2 Mikrotiks linked over an EOIP tunnel, both are on 192.168.100.0/24.
Each router runs DHCP with different pools. I tried using just one DHCP server but if the tunnel goes down (it does when my ISP changes my WAN address every couple of months) the far end can't get to the internet which means I can't remote into a PC to make any changes needed to the router. My mother-in-law's tech skills stop at rebooting...

The delay from the tunnel means the local router gives out the address 99% of the time.