Community discussions

MikroTik App

drees
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless bridge and DHCP

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:53 pm

tl;dr; - hAP lite running as wifi station-pseudobridge connected to a non-ROS AP, clients plugged into the hAP lite aren't getting DHCP from the non-ROS AP

The long version:
I bought a hAP lite to replace an aging, somewhat flaky WNDR3300 running DD-WRT after reading about how great MikroTik products are and wanting to experiment a bit to potentially replace a separate MoCA bridge I have (Verizon branded ActionTek MoCa routers, 1 also serving as the primary AP). So the WNDR3300 was running in client bridge mode and basically extending my LAN to a couple of low bandwidth devices which don't have wireless adapters. I would have actually preferred the hAP lite classic so I could wall mount it easier, but apparently those are hard if not impossible to come by?

Anyway, I get the hAP lite and fire it up, get it updated to v6.36.3 and get it running initially using the QuickSet (which was a bit of a pain, as when I set up QuickSet to CPE Bridge mode I lose access to the device). After some more work I get it connected to my existing non-ROS AP, all the ethernet ports bridged and a static IP assigned to the hAP so I can configure it.

This all appears to go well, until I go and swap the hAP with my old router and the clients plugged into the ethernet ports are no longer able to get an IP address via DHCP.

After more reading, I learn that I should be using station-pseudobridge mode on the wireless adapter, so I get that going, but still no go. I also try station-pseudobridge-clone mode with no change.

After even more reading, I learn that ROS may simply not handle this scenario well for some reason, yet my old WNDR3300 running DD-WRT and other client bridges I've used have worked without issue.

So in the mean time as a workaround I set up a DHCP server on the hAP with authoritative set to after-10sec-delay which is at least getting the job done (but for some reason still ends up providing IPs to other devices on occasion - can I restrict the DHCP to replying to clients that are hard-wired?), but I feel like there must be something I'm missing given how easily this has worked with other hardware.

Network overview:

Internet -> Verizon/Actiontec MI424WR (internet router / 802.11g/n AP / DHCP server) -> hAP lite (station-pseudobridge) -> client devices

PS - I'm very impressed by the low power consumption of the hAP lite - it draws about 900 mW idle with one ethernet port plugged in running off 5V DC. With the provided AC adapter on 120V it pulls about 1.1W idle with no ethernet clients plugged in and 1.4W idle with 2 ethernet clients plugged in. The WNDR3300 pulls around 5-6WAC in comparison.

PPS - I'm getting about 30 Mbps through the hAP to the MI424WR from across the house through a few walls - not bad, but if I could get this up to

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless bridge and DHCP

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:18 pm

if it helps, I have several hAP's that I use for ethernet bridges. The config is very simple for them. Here is the entirety of the config:

# sep/20/2016 13:13:10 by RouterOS 6.37rc38
#
/interface bridge
add name=lanBridge

/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] master-port=ether1
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] master-port=ether1
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] master-port=ether1
set [ find default-name=ether5 ] master-port=ether1

/interface wireless
	set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country="united states" \
	disabled=no frequency=auto frequency-mode=regulatory-domain mode=station-pseudobridge \
	radio-name=duber-hAP-bridge ssid=ThisIsTheSSID wireless-protocol=802.11  wmm-support=enabled

/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=dynamic-keys \
	supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=ThisIsASecret

/interface bridge port
add bridge=lanBridge interface=wlan1
add bridge=lanBridge interface=ether1

/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=0 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=lanBridge

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:23 am

Why would you use station-pseudobridge instead of the normal station-bride mode?

drees
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 pm

if it helps, I have several hAP's that I use for ethernet bridges. The config is very simple for them. Here is the entirety of the config:
Thanks - that is a very simple config, I've now got my hAP running a very similar config, but still having problems getting DHCP working. Using station-pseudobridge-clone actually seems to get a bit closer, but things still behave weirdly. In station-pseudobridge mode, it appears that having a single MAC address makes DHCP not work right. I haven't pinned down the exact reason why station-pseudobridge-clone doesn't work right.
# sep/21/2016 02:00:01 by RouterOS 6.36.3
# software id = 40Y6-TT9Q
#
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=4C:5E:0C:1C:A2:28 name=bridge
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-onlyn channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce \
    country="united states" disabled=no distance=indoors frequency=auto \
    frequency-mode=regulatory-domain mode=station-pseudobridge ssid=ThisIsTheSSID \
    wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] master-port=ether1
set [ find default-name=ether3 ] master-port=ether1
set [ find default-name=ether4 ] master-port=ether1
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk group-ciphers=\
    tkip,aes-ccm mode=dynamic-keys unicast-ciphers=tkip,aes-ccm \
    wpa-pre-shared-key=ThisIsASecret wpa2-pre-shared-key=\
    ThisIsASecret
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1
/ip address
add address=10.0.0.40/24 interface=bridge network=10.0.0.0
/ip dhcp-client
add default-route-distance=0 dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no \
    interface=bridge
/system clock
set time-zone-name=America/Los_Angeles
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes server-dns-names=\
    0.us.pool.ntp.org,1.us.pool.ntp.org,2.us.pool.ntp.org,3.us.pool.ntp.org
/system package update
set channel=bugfix
/system routerboard settings
set cpu-frequency=650MHz protected-routerboot=disabled
Why would you use station-pseudobridge instead of the normal station-bride mode?
From what I understand, station-bridge mode requires RouterOS devices on the AP and the station. In my case, my RouterOS device is the station and not the AP.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... tion_Modes

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:52 pm

[...]
From what I understand, station-bridge mode requires RouterOS devices on the AP and the station. In my case, my RouterOS device is the station and not the AP.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... tion_Modes
Alright, not really aware of it.
But reading all the various wireless modes, I keep on bumping into the MAC translation, which I assume is the drawback for DHCP to function.
The DHCP server continuously sees the same MAC address requesting for an IP I guess.

ostri
just joined

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi,

I came up to the exact same issue using hap lite as a pseudo bridge. Clients on ether1 to ether5 interfaces do not get an IP for the main DHCP server.

Have you found a solution?

thank you in advance.
# nov/10/2017 17:13:52 by RouterOS 6.39.3
# software id = P8D8-25ZP
#
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n country=greece disabled=no l2mtu=2290 mode=station-pseudobridge mtu=2290 ssid=mywfnetwork wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk group-ciphers=tkip,aes-ccm mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik unicast-ciphers=tkip,aes-ccm wpa-pre-shared-key=\
    12131415 wpa2-pre-shared-key=1234567890
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Athens
[admin@MikroTik] >

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:37 am

Hi,

I came up to the exact same issue using hap lite as a pseudo bridge. Clients on ether1 to ether5 interfaces do not get an IP for the main DHCP server.

Have you found a solution?

thank you in advance.
# nov/10/2017 17:13:52 by RouterOS 6.39.3
# software id = P8D8-25ZP
#
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-b/g/n country=greece disabled=no l2mtu=2290 mode=station-pseudobridge mtu=2290 ssid=mywfnetwork wireless-protocol=802.11
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk group-ciphers=tkip,aes-ccm mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik unicast-ciphers=tkip,aes-ccm wpa-pre-shared-key=\
    12131415 wpa2-pre-shared-key=1234567890
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
/ip dhcp-client
add disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Athens
[admin@MikroTik] >
I have a mAP acting as client(-pseudobridge) to a non-ROS AP, and bridging it to my LAN, with no problems. Your config looks about right, but why have you set the MTUs (L2 & L3) on wlan1 to non-standard 2290 bytes?. Does the bridge interface on the hAP get an IP via DHCP, as it is supposed to?

ostri
just joined

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi Nick,

Please ignore the MTU it was just a test and I forgot to change back to the default value. The bridge interface does get a DHCP address without a problem. However, the devices (e.g. my laptop) when connected to any ethernet interface does not.

feri
just joined

Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:22 am

when i login hotspot mikrotik and off my laptop and the return back isee another accont login in my laptop that is login and i can use the internet
Like that another person uses my laptop :shock: why?