Community discussions

berkhoff
just joined
Topic Author

PPTP stopped working

Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:53 am

I have a fairly straightforward PPTP setup between 2 routerboards. Basically my setup is identical to this:

http://blog.butchevans.com/2008/09/mikr ... pptp_eoip/

Suddenly after some fiddling around (not related to PPTP) the VPN stopped working. PPTP won't connect no matter what I try.
Server Interface is not running. Client says Link-Established by log show repeatingly Connecting..., Disconnected
Switched on logging at the server and it keep repeating the same <auth mschap2> and other "LCP" messages.

Anyone?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPTP stopped working

Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:26 am

It sounds like either your public IP changed on either end, or a filter rule is blocking it on either end.
David Joyce
Network & Security Engineer
Intrus Technologies, LLC.
Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

berkhoff
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:32 pm

The only place where a public IP is used is on the client side. I did a configuration reset of the router on that side and reconfigured the PPTP client.
However, no change unfortunately. Also double checked the server side firewall settings and they are the same as when it was working. Allowing GRE and TCP port 1723.

mbaute
just joined

Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:57 pm

berkhoff by any chance if you disable PPTP server an re enable on destination does it solve the issue? pulling my hair out with this, but it happens on any Server (PPTP, SSTP , etc)

berkhoff
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:26 pm

No unfortunately. I tried that as well. Think I will need to switch to some alternative form of VPN instead...

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:52 am

Enable PPTP logging in /system logging add topic=PPTP and see if that gives better information.

Also make sure your input firewall rules are allowing PPTP or setup etc. ensure no dst-nat rule is redirecting the traffic too

Allow tcp 1723 and gre in the input chain.

MikroTik PPTP is pretty straightforward to use so hopefully the logging will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTCNA, MTCWE, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCSE, MTCINE, Trainer

haplessuser
just joined

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:18 pm

I recently had an issue with this. A packet cap looking for protocol 47 should help you diagnose. In my case, it was just a software bug of sorts. One side was simply not attempting a connection. Disabling/Re-enabling did not resolve the issue, but opening it up, copying it, deleting the original, then applying the copy fixed it. You'll just have to re-associate any static routes you had pointing to the PPTP gatway.