Community discussions

johnaspey
just joined
Topic Author

Some advice for GRE tunnel

Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:56 am

Hi Guys, first time posting on here so i hope this is in the right place.

Basically im looking for some advice on a setup between 2 x 750gl routers. I currently have a number of racks with a provider in a datacentre, i am moving these servers into a purpose built building with its own leased line etc. The issue I have is the datacentre owns a considerable amount of the ips we use and its not going to be a quick task transferring customers off them. Therefore im wanting to basically colocate a routerboard at the datacentre and send the ips across to a router on our end and then into a switch and distribute to the servers. I presume this can be done with a gre tunnel? - is this a straight forward setup? .

Thank you

Jon

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Some advice for GRE tunnel

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:45 am

You could use GRE/L2TP, or possibly even an EoIP tunnel. It depends on how you are connecting the 2 sites together, and what bandwidth requirements you have.

If there is minimal traffic, you could create an EoIP tunnel and bridge the 2 networks together.

GL's are not that powerful so it really depends on how much traffic you want to pass between them.
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE, MTCTCE, MTCIPv6E, MTCUME

johnaspey
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for your reply - they are doing roughly around 50mbps at the moment. If I do a tunnel is it just a case of setting that up between the routers and then any ips announced on the datacentre side will work at the new building side?

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:12 pm

If you run EoIP and bridge the tunnel with an interface connected to your DC lan, then yes as it works as a layer 2 network connection. If one were to use GRE/L2TP etc, you would need to split the network and route the specific IP addresses between each network.

This may help you.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/EoIP
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE, MTCTCE, MTCIPv6E, MTCUME

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks for your reply - they are doing roughly around 50mbps at the moment.
50 Mbps is above the capabilities of low-end routers when you do encryption.
When you are forwarding internet traffic you probably don't need encryption and can use an EoIP tunnel over the public
IP addresses of the routers without IPsec protection, and that will probably be handled ok by those routers.
When you want to have better authentication (anti-spoofing) you can use IPsec in AH mode, but it has to be
setup manually.