Community discussions

MikroTik App

jeroenp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

[Answered] Why are some of my routes blue?

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:32 pm

It looks like is too difficult for people to start replying at Where should I start creating Multi-WAN PCC setup with DHCP+fixed IPs on uneven upstreams, so I've decided to just start and ask individual questions.

I've added settings for interface definitions and local addresses for WAN uplinks (part static, part by DHCP client) and LAN.
Some local addresses are disabled as I cannot use them yet: they are for future use.

Goal is to route 0.0.0.0/0 via all WANs (static via 37.153.243.241 reachable on ether7 and dynamic via both WAN DHCP client configurations).

The above settings result in some automatically added routes (for DHCP WANs) and one manually (for static WAN).

Two of the routes are blue. Why is that?

If in the topmost route I change gateway from "ether7" to "37.153.243.241" it will indicate "37.153.243.241 unreachable".

I'm at RouterOS 6.35.1

Last edited by jeroenp on Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Why are some of my routes blue?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:40 am

The blue ones are not active. It's how it works, if you have multiple default routes, only one "wins". The way to use multiple WANs is to add default routes with different routing mark each, and then set up some rules to mark routing, i.e. tell the traffic which route it should use. It's simple with static addresses, but less straightforward with dynamic ones, because you can't tell dhcp client to set routing mark. But it can be done using routing filters (in /routing filter, chain=dynamic-in, action set-routing-mark).
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

jeroenp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Why are some of my routes blue?

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:46 pm

The blue ones are not active. It's how it works, if you have multiple default routes, only one "wins". The way to use multiple WANs is to add default routes with different routing mark each, and then set up some rules to mark routing, i.e. tell the traffic which route it should use. It's simple with static addresses, but less straightforward with dynamic ones, because you can't tell dhcp client to set routing mark. But it can be done using routing filters (in /routing filter, chain=dynamic-in, action set-routing-mark).
Thanks I've some more studying to do.

--jeroen