Community discussions

azabi
just joined
Topic Author

export/import configuration between diffrent models

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:46 pm

hello every one
can i take a backup from RB1100 and restore it to another Mikrotik Router Os installed on dell server ?? and vice verse !

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: export/import configuration between diffrent models

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:04 pm

You can do this with the command-line based export script, but you'd probably need to go through the generated script and make sure that the interface names made sense, and that no features missing in the new platform were being referenced... for instance, if the original platform was using HW switch functions, but the new platform has no HW switch, then you'd need to adapt the configuration before it would import properly.

Binary backups are generally intended to be restored on the same exact router that generated them. I've even seen strangeness with restoring a binary backup onto a different unit of the same model and firmware revision.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Binary backups are generally intended to be restored on the same exact router that generated them. I've even seen strangeness with restoring a binary backup onto a different unit of the same model and firmware revision.
I've seen the same, but I fixed it by editing each interface and resetting the MAC Address to its hardware one rather than from the previous device.
 /interface ethernet reset-mac-address
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE, MTCTCE, MTCIPv6E, MTCUME

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Can you edit the contents of a binary backup? (Never bothered to try opening one)

Another thing to look for is the naming of wireless interfaces. We used a base template image to default our 2011 model CPE whenever we'd put one in stock, and many times, the restore lead to the wireless interface being named wlan2 for some odd reason.
When given a spoon,
you should not cling to your fork.
The soup will get cold.

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 am

Can you edit the contents of a binary backup? (Never bothered to try opening one)

Another thing to look for is the naming of wireless interfaces. We used a base template image to default our 2011 model CPE whenever we'd put one in stock, and many times, the restore lead to the wireless interface being named wlan2 for some odd reason.
Nope, you wont be able to edit the binary backup, but you can apply it to the new device and then once it has booted, reset the mac addresses on each interface.

I haven't seen that issue with the wlan interface, but I do remove all configuration on the device before I did a restore to be sure.
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE, MTCTCE, MTCIPv6E, MTCUME