Community discussions

MikroTik App

santoperdido
Topic Author

Static IPs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:58 pm

I am setting up a 951G and after getting the basics set up correctly, I need to designate several computers on the network with static IPs, leaving everything else to have dynamic IPs. I need the computers with static IPs to have the highest priority on the network and Internet access. Please give me step by step instructions on how to achieve this. Thanks.

Edited to add that the RB is connected to an HP 24-port switch. Ideally, the computers that need static IPs will remain connected to the switch and not need to be connected to the RB.

ErfanDL

Re: RE: Static IPs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:14 pm

I am setting up a 951G and after getting the basics set up correctly, I need to designate several computers on the network with static IPs, leaving everything else to have dynamic IPs. I need the computers with static IPs to have the highest priority on the network and Internet access. Please give me step by step instructions on how to achieve this. Thanks.

Edited to add that the RB is connected to an HP 24-port switch. Ideally, the computers that need static IPs will remain connected to the switch and not need to be connected to the RB.
Go to IP > DHCP Server in leases tab make your clients static IP

santoperdido
Topic Author

Re: Static IPs

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:33 pm

That was easy enough. Now, what about setting these clients to have the highest priority on the network? Alternatively, is there a way to set all DHCP clients (including the WIFI-connected clients) to have a lower priority? Thanks

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:13 pm

Start off by using DHCP to set manage all the IP Address information on your network. When you require a device to have a "static" IP Address, mark the address as static in the lease table and leave the rest to be managed dynamically.

When setting a user with a static IP on the DHCP Server, it will allow you to add additional attributed to the IP Address. There are a few ways you could tackle this, but one simple way would be using a firewall rule and an Address List of all statically assigned users. The DHCP Server will automatically add the IP address to the list.

1. Create an Address List (IP - Firewall - Address Lists)
2. Make Static for each host you want to have a static IP once it has connected. You can then modify the IP and have the host reboot/renew to change its IP.
3. Modify the statically assigned IP and select the Address List you created.
4. Create a firewall rule to allow Internet access from this Address List
5. Drop the rest.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

santoperdido
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks. It definitely helps. What about setting priorities for network access so that these computers that have static IPs get priority over everything else?

Splash
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:26 pm

You could use the same address list to do the prioritisation using Firewall Mangle rules and Simple Queues/Queue Tree :) Thats a whole other discussion :)