Community discussions

MikroTik App

crg
just joined
Topic Author

New network setup w/ RB 2011U router and (2) RB951U1-2HnD APs...Help w/ setup please

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello, I am trying to upgrade my home LAN. Currently, I have Time Warner Cable's provided Arris modem acting as router. It is not meeting my needs anymore. I now have a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN router and (2) RB951Ui-2HnD.

The (2) RB951s are solely for extended WiFi AP coverage.
I need/want my LAN to be 192.168.201.0/24. I plan on the RB2001 being .1 and the APs at .2 and .3.
I need/want the SSID to be the same for all 3 devices, with the same password and encryption. - I'm good here.

Time Warner's Arris will be put into bridge mode and the 2011 will accept the ISPs WAN interface and handoff all LAN traffic behind.

What I need help is the initial RB devices configuration, so all are meshed properly. I will have wired connectivity from the router to each AP.

Can you help with the base setup for the router and APs with what I've provided above?

Thank you!
-Chris

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New network setup w/ RB 2011U router and (2) RB951U1-2HnD APs...Help w/ setup please

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Maybe default config could be enough for you. At least you need to start somehow...

blajah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: New network setup w/ RB 2011U router and (2) RB951U1-2HnD APs...Help w/ setup please

Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:28 pm

Consider using 2011 as CAPsMAN and 951s as CAPs.

magchiel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:40 pm

What I need help is the initial RB devices configuration, so all are meshed properly. I will have wired connectivity from the router to each AP.
Forget 'mesh'. It's not what you're looking for. It's enough to just configure all access points what same settings and to make sure RBs are on the same LAN segment connected by ethernet. Your WiFi clients will automatically select the best accesspoint.
RB2011 and RB951s as CAPsMAN and CAPs respectively as suggested above may help to achieve consistency through a centralised management interface. However the initial configuration has a little bit more complexity to it.
The default configuration as also suggested is a good starting point if you're not comfortable configuring from scratch. However the exercise of configuring from empty configuration gives you a better learning experience and allows you to getting to know your router configuration inside out without "automagic" setting and principles of RouterOS.
To get started, consider Greg Sowell's video's as a starting point. He combines a sound theoretical basis (which is missing in a lot of other resources) with step by step tutorials specific for RouterOS. See http://gregsowell.com/?page_id=951. Together with information on the Wiki and information already available on the forum I'm sure you'll be on your way for you use case.

crg
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:13 pm

Thank you all for your help. That link to gregsowell.com was particularly helpful. All things are operational now, minus some port forwarding that doesn't seem to be right.
Onward and upward :)