Community discussions

MikroTik App

azzajess
just joined
Topic Author

Help making HAP AC as Switch + Other info

Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:29 am

Hello, first up, im sorry for the trouble as I feel overwhelmed with the amount that RouterBoard has to offer and im trying to piece things together but i find it a little confusing.

I would like to setup the Hap AC into a simple switch with wifi support that then relays data to the Main Router.

Ok, so starting with my current setup. Right now (living in Australia) using cable to an Optus (ISP) Router, known as the CG3000v2, is connected to different devices such as a much larger switch and different computers. One of the Ethernet cables from the router is connected to the HAP AC in another room. From there it is connected to other devices in that room. All Wi-Fi devices are connected to the HAP AC. The Ethernet from Optus Router goes into Ether1 port the of HAP AC

So, now onto my config in MikroTik running 6.37.1.
The Quickset mode is set to WISP AP because I have connected the ports in Switch mode by having the ports 1,3-5 set to have ether2 as master port.
I manually set the ip address of MikroTik to 192.168.0.2 which is outside the CG3000v2s DCHP Range (192.168.0.10-192.168.0.209)
Set the Gateway to CG3000v2 which is 192.168.0.1
Set DNS Servers manually matching CG3000v2
Wlan1(2.4Gghz), Wlan2(5Ghz) and Ether2-MasterPort is inside Bridge
None of the DHCP settings are turned on as i wanted the DHCP to be handled by the CG3000v2 but I dont think it is properly?
Firewall Settings are defaulted and not sure if they need to be disabled since there is a firewall on the CG3000v2
The rest of it is left at default.

So right now, wifi works and so does anything connected to it, but i feel as if the settings are not properly set so that it can act like a simple switch with Wifi. I am also experiencing brief Wifi (Not sure on hard wired devices, but seems to happen on both 2.4 and 5Ghz) cut outs that happen every 30 mins. Its really brief and cant tell on webpages and such but on some sensitive apps, its more noticeable.

Thank you very much for any help and sorry for your time.

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Help making HAP AC as Switch + Other info

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:33 pm

If you use Quickset then I think you are better of with Home AP than WISP.
If I understood you correctly the hAP is connected via ethernet cable. Also you already have a DHCP server in your network.so untick DHCP Server.
Set a local IP inside your private network and WiFi settings.
Connect ethernet cable to any of the local ports (just not the internet one).

Then when you get a little more familiar with ROS I would add internet port on hAP as slave to ether2-master. This way you can connect ethernet cable to any of the ports.

I must say I never use QuickSet..but this should work :)

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Yeah, on the hAP AC I used the "Home AP Dual" quickset config for that kind of setup. I would recommend that for your case. You can always start with that (avoiding use of ether1) and then later manually remove the address from ether1 and make it a slave to ether2-master.

azzajess
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:32 am

Thanks for the responses. I have reset the hap ac and started again. it is currently in Dual AP mode and I have plugged my internet Ethernet inside Ether 2. Ether 1 is not currently populated,
Yeah, on the hAP AC I used the "Home AP Dual" quickset config for that kind of setup. I would recommend that for your case. You can always start with that (avoiding use of ether1) and then later manually remove the address from ether1 and make it a slave to ether2-master.
What do you mean by getting rid of the addresses? I tried adding ether1 as slave to ether 2 and the quick set changed to WISP AP automatically.
If you use Quickset then I think you are better of with Home AP than WISP.
If I understood you correctly the hAP is connected via ethernet cable. Also you already have a DHCP server in your network.so untick DHCP Server.
Set a local IP inside your private network and WiFi settings.
Connect ethernet cable to any of the local ports (just not the internet one).

Then when you get a little more familiar with ROS I would add internet port on hAP as slave to ether2-master. This way you can connect ethernet cable to any of the ports.

I must say I never use QuickSet..but this should work :)
When you say dhcp server, you are referring to the cg3000v2 router as a dhcp server? I have disabled the dhcp server, anything else I needed to do?

Also since my Cg3000v2 has an inbuilt firewall, would I disable the hap ac firewall?

Thanks for the help

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:05 pm

mducharme wrote:

What do you mean by getting rid of the addresses? I tried adding ether1 as slave to ether 2 and the quick set changed to WISP AP automatically.
Once you use Quickset you dont need it anymore. After initial Quickset configuration you must edit settings manualy (i dont know what happens then to quickset.. but I gues it guesses what type of setup you are using..ie Wisp -> all ports bridged)
So to answer the first part getting rid of address means if you have all the ports bridged you dont need (nor should have) an Address directly on interface (in your example ether1).
Remove it in IP - Addresss
When you say dhcp server, you are referring to the cg3000v2 router as a dhcp server? I have disabled the dhcp server, anything else I needed to do?

Also since my Cg3000v2 has an inbuilt firewall, would I disable the hap ac firewall?

Thanks for the help
I cant tell from your answer if you disabled the DHCP server on cg3000v2 or Mikrotik. To put it simply I would leave the DHCP server on cg3000v2 and disable it on Mikrotik (I guess you already did that in quickset initial setup). Also if you use Mikrotik as AP only you dont need firewall (so you can delete all firewall rules). But if you want to protect AP for some security reasons the you should make appropriate fw rules..

I guess your WiFi clients are already connecting to your network without problems. So all this is merly aditional settings to help you understand but this falls more under fundamental networking knowledge..