MikroTik App

Kerbia
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikrotik 750gr3 - Configuration of access points with hotspot function

Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Hello,
last week I got a MikroTik 750gr3 and I'm currently using it to separate three networks from each other which share one internet connection.
For this purpose i configured three dhcp servers, one dhcp for one physical port of the device. Then I created firewalls rules which restrict the forwarding among the respective subnets. This seemed to be the most cost efficient and easy solution for me.

However, now I want to move on and configure the wifi access points, which are TP-Link WR841ND devices running OpenWRT.
I want each of them to broadcast a regular wpa2 protected network and one isolated guest network which uses the hotspot function of the 750gr3 router.
DHCP for both networks should be done by the MikroTik router.

This is how the network currently looks like:

Fritz!Box 7490 ---> MikroTik 750gr3
 							---> access point (subnetwork 1, 10.10.0.xxx)
 							---> access point (subnetwork 2, 10.20.0.xxx)
 							---> unmanaged switch --->  access point + other devices (subnetwork 3, 10.30.0.xxx)

Can I use the TP-Link access points for my plans, or do I have to switch to MikroTik access points to properly work together?
- I want to switch to MikroTik access points later, when ac routers are cheaper and have gigabit lan.

Do my plans work for subnetwork 2?
- I am unsure if i can realize my plans without vlans and a vlan switch.

After setting up the hotspot feature in the 750gr3 according to the wiki, how do i configure the access points?

Thanks in advance. I only used consumer products with limited functions in the previous years and just discovered Mikrotik with all its opportunities and settings which are overwhelming but require some learning.