Community discussions

hmmmmm
just joined
Topic Author

EIOP or VPN?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:31 pm

First time mikrotik user so bear with me :)

Ive got a little project where i need to connect multiple ip devices on different home locations to 1 central office location. Ive been testing with 2 HEX lites all day but cant get it to work.

Final situation should be:
SERVER <-> SWITCH <-> HEX1 <-> ROUTER OFFICE <-> ROUTER HOME <-> HEX2 <-> IP DEVICE 1,2
\> ROUTER HOME <-> HEX3 <-> IP DEVICE 3,4
\> ROUTER HOME <-> HEX4 <-> IP DEVICE 5,6 etc

Currently testing as follows:
Laptop -> HEX -> WRT54G ->INTERNET<- 2nd WRT54G <- 2nd HEX <- 2nd Laptop

The routers im testing with now are 2 WRT54G's on 2 different broadband connections, so both have a seperate WAN address. I need to access the IP devices on the server so i thought EOIP was the best option, followed different guides (http://gregsowell.com/?p=1946) but no go. Also tried a VPN but still no sigar. Cant ping between hex1 and 2 over the wan connection.

I figured there must be some ports that need to be forwarded on the WRT router, but after some searching im reading about forwarding GRE, which the WRT doesnt support. If thats the case i can never make this work because traffic simply wont pass the first router (WRT) to get too the HEX? Hope someone can guide me in the right direction!

JB172

Re: EIOP or VPN?

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:31 pm

tr00g33k
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: EIOP or VPN?

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 pm

If you cant get this working you can try with SSTP site to site only port 443 required, if you dont need EOIP because you would need the same L2 broadcast domain over VPN. On one site you setup SSTP server, NAT 443 on DD-WRT, on other side you create SSTP client, and connect to SSTP server.