Community discussions

Kerbia
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikrotik hap lite - hardware sufficient for me?

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Hey,
I'm looking for a new access point and am interested in the Mikrotik hap lite.

I know that this is a low end device, but it may be sufficient, since it is just for my mom's house.

Maybe someone of you can help me by answering my questions:
- What influences the use of RAM? What can I do with just 32mb?
- What influences the use of the CPU? What is the weak CPU of this device sufficient for?
- Where are the limitations? (e.g. number of conntected devices, etc.)

I want to use it as a access point with multiple ssids (4) connected to different vlans.
VPN, DHCP, Firewall etc. is provided by a Mikrotik 750gr3 router.

I hope you can give me a better impression if this is a good device for me, or if i need to get something more powerful.

Thanks for helping me out!

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mikrotik hap lite - hardware sufficient for me?

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:10 pm

What are the requirements?

Kerbia
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:48 pm

The AP is supposed to extend my existing network (including vlans) on a new floor of my house.

There will be 4 different SSID's belonging to different vlans, which have no access to each other. All are connected by one trunk port to the rest of the network.

Regarding data, the AP will mainly be used to give devices Internet Access (e.g. Youtube and Netflix access on one tv, smartphones, etc.).
The number of devices will vary, since we have one common room. If there are parties, there may be around 20 guests with their smartphones + 5-6 other devices.

The coverage of the wifi should not be a problem. It will have a central position and should cover only rooms which are direct neighbour rooms (only 1 wall in between).

freemannnn
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:15 pm

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Any band requirements? DFS support? Etc.?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:00 pm

hap lite have a similar performance to another single core mipsbe mikrotik devices, you dont won to much performance (from cpu perspective) because the cpu is very simmilar, the improvement on another devices is because of ddr2 memory instead of ddr1 on hap lite, you can expect only 10-25% cpu performance increase.

The main drawbacks of hap lite are: the absence of poe, 1 less ethernet port, limited support of packages of routeros, this drawbacks may or may not affect you but you must check it.

I think hap lite is enough to your case, if you need poe to make easier to locate the accesspoint powering it using the ethernet cable only i suggest you to take the hap ac lite, with the plus of a second 5ghz radio.

Using hap lite is a good idea because the low cost makes viable to use multiple hap lite connected by wire to main router to improve coverage and performance of the wifi network

Kerbia
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks for all your responses. They help me a lot.
Any band requirements? DFS support? Etc.?
2.4 Ghz should be enough. The main living area is on a different floor of the house.
There I have a dualband ap.

hap lite have a similar performance to another single core mipsbe mikrotik devices, you dont won to much performance (from cpu perspective) because the cpu is very simmilar, the improvement on another devices is because of ddr2 memory instead of ddr1 on hap lite, you can expect only 10-25% cpu performance increase.
What benefits do I have with a better cpu or more/faster ram?
- More devices at the same time? More throughput?
- Or is it just relevant, if the hap lite would be configured for routing, vpn and firewall rules? (I do not need these things)

The main drawbacks of hap lite are: the absence of poe, 1 less ethernet port, limited support of packages of routeros, this drawbacks may or may not affect you but you must check it.

I think hap lite is enough to your case, if you need poe to make easier to locate the accesspoint powering it using the ethernet cable only i suggest you to take the hap ac lite, with the plus of a second 5ghz radio.
I don't need POE. I think capsman is the most important package for me. I don't think I need many packages, since I just need a simple ap with vlan and multissid support.

lapsio

Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:51 pm

I'm using 2 hAPs lite and RB2011 and biggest problem with hAP lite is 10/100 ethernet. I mean when you're using this device in LAN for lets say transferring data through Samba shares or NFS, sshfs, ftp, whatev you'll be seriously bottlenecked by 10/100 socket. It's around 8-10MB/s realistically. When you try to copy some files sometimes it's faster to put them on usb drive than send using LAN. It's really annoying for me.

CPU in hAP lite won't be bottleneck I'm almost sure about that. RB2011 has slower CPU than hAP and it's bottlenecking at 600 mbps - throughput impossible for hAP due to 10/100 socket. Apart from that - considering hAP lite price it's REALLY nice device. I mean please consider that routers with gigabit ports are more than twice as expensive. So price is really important factor here. And PoE. If you don't need more than 100mbps and don't need PoE i think hAP lite should be sufficient for you. I was using hAP with encryption (L2TP) and it worked just fine, no bottlenecking so welp. I also use VLANs and virtual wlans and plenty of fw rules (more than 25). No problems at all. Range is quite meh. But i guess it's gonna be like that for any non-high-power radio device.

About RAM - forget about MetaROUTER. There's no even menu for that in hAP lite. It's completely cut off. It's reasonable considering ROS takes about 20 mb RAM and i don't think any other router OS takes less than 16. However - I tested MetaROUTER on mAP lite - it's 64 megs and metarouter still didn't boot properly. It was just freezing at boot. So i guess 64 isn't enough either. My extra bloated and pushed to the limits of everything (for home use standards) RB2011 says 128mb total, 94 free so it's 34mb and I don't believe i would *ever* put so much functionality on hAP. Even just because it has only 4 ports.

I love hAP lite and tbh I'm occasionally buying them just to give away one to some people who want to learn more serious networking because it's just so nice and cheap device. I'm in love with it.
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE