Community discussions

BrettWestNy
just joined
Topic Author

port forwarding issue

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:02 pm

just got the rb3011uias-rm
I host a TeamSpeak server off my home media server. I am able to connect to it using the servers LAN ip from this gaming computer.
It will not allow me to connect using my external ip from this same gaming computer.
I am confused because I opened ports and other clients can connect from outside of my network lol. Same results with my phone, can connect using 4g, but not my LAN WIFI lol.
If you can't tell by now this is my first cool router, in a bit over my head haha

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: port forwarding issue

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm

You are trying to perform a NAT loopback. Think in Mikrotik land it is called hairpin (or something like that).
Why connect to the public IP address instead of the internal server IP address (DNS :))?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Hairpin NAT page has very nice and detailed explanation what happens and what needs to be done.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

BrettWestNy
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:00 pm

thanks :) not sure why I wanted to do it really, was just confused why it would not work lol.
Makes sense though, next step is to find out if I can setup no-ip.org DDNS directly on the router or if I should just run the updater program on the server.

janus20
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi,

Regarding DDNS on router with no-ip you can find tutorial below. I have used for myself and confirm that it is working:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dynamic_D ... _No-IP_DNS

kind regards,