Community discussions

MikroTik App

soonwai
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

[Wiki] Mikrotik Telekom Malaysia UniFi Setup Guide

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi all, I've created, in the wiki, a Mikrotik setup guide for users of Malaysia's UniFi broadband service. Just a beginner's guide, nothing too technical and with plenty of screenshots. I hope this will be useful to anyone in or coming to Malaysia. It's here:

Mikrotik Telekom Malaysia UniFi Setup Guide

When I bought my first Mikrotik router, I had trouble finding instructions for setting it up. The first two places I looked were Mikrotik's forums and its Wiki. Didn't find anything here. In the end, Google helped me locate one and I was happy. However, the guide that I followed was flawed. I didn't realise it at that time but I was unknowingly contributing to a DDNS amplification attack due to a misconfigured firewall drop filter. Even today, there many flawed guides in blogs or forums waiting to catch their next victim. So I hope my guide will prevent new Malaysian Mikrotik users from falling into the same situation.

While this guide is written specifically for UniFi, if your ISP uses the same setup, PPPoE and VLANs for delivering Internet, IPTV and VOIP traffic, you can still use it by substituting the correct VLAN ids.

Have fun & cheers!
Last edited by soonwai on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macintoshmcafee
just joined

Re: [Wiki] Mikrotik Telekom Malaysia UniFi Setup Guide

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:47 am

Hi soonwai,

This is Mastor from Nichia Malaysia. I purchased MikroTik hEX router to replace standard DIR-615 Unifi router.
I followed all your setup for Unifi and it can work perfectly.

But our Unifi package comes with 5 Fixed IP addresses whereby one IP is assigned at the gateway and
the other 4 would be assigned for our internal usage (Wi-Fi, Cisco VPN etc).

1) How to configure this in hEX router?
2) How to secure this hEX router from external attacks?

Please help.
Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Regards,
Mastor

johnchin
just joined

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Just set your others IP Address with the comment below

/ip address add address="YOUR-OTHER-PUBLIC-IP" network="YOUR-PUBLIC-IP-NETWORK" interface="YOUR-WAN-INTERFACE"

krazzie25
just joined

Fri May 12, 2017 7:14 am

Hi Soonwai,
I was looking for a router that can do vlan trunk. Can this router support vlan trunk or combine 2 vlan (500+600) on 1 port? So that both internet and iptv vlan can be extend to another router.
If can, can you share guide to do the setup?

Thanks in advance
Zack

paisyam
just joined

Tue May 30, 2017 10:55 am

hello
thank you for your guide. i have successfully change my unifi modem with mikrotik rb750r2. please guide me to add vlan on port 2-5. i'm not using iptv. i have follow this post but no luck.
tq.

zamri

Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:03 am

Hiii....zamri here...pls help..
can i use rb1100ahx2 become unifi router and hotspot gateway in the same router...??

edzaljb
just joined

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 am

Hiii....zamri here...pls help..
can i use rb1100ahx2 become unifi router and hotspot gateway in the same router...??
Yes can.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

edzaljb
just joined

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 am

Yes can.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kanou
just joined

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi Soon Wai,

Thank you for this guide. I have successfully configured my Mikrotik HEX POE router using you guide. However i am having difficulties trying to get the voip phone on the maxis router to work.

I have configured the HEX POE router as my primary router and the Maxis router as secondary. DHCP and WLAN has been disabled on the maxis router.
I also configured the vlan for voip on the HEX router but it does not seem to be working so i think i must have miss something out.

What should i do next?

Thank you.

zuewhyrie
just joined

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:24 am

Hi, anyone using ccr1009 for Unifi? I have 1 configured, IPTV is working fine, but cannot access to internet. Seems like the ppoe dialer trying to connect, but got disconnect. Username password is correct..using my old RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN it works. Can anyone help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

learnyee

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi soonwai,

This is Mastor from Nichia Malaysia. I purchased MikroTik hEX router to replace standard DIR-615 Unifi router.
I followed all your setup for Unifi and it can work perfectly.

But our Unifi package comes with 5 Fixed IP addresses whereby one IP is assigned at the gateway and
the other 4 would be assigned for our internal usage (Wi-Fi, Cisco VPN etc).

1) How to configure this in hEX router?
2) How to secure this hEX router from external attacks?

Please help.
Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Regards,
Mastor
The 5 FIX IP package has couple ways of doing it, depends on whether you are doing the dialup at your HEX or you are doing a drop-in mode where the 5 fix IP is pipe through the firewall sitting at the back of your HEX, and whether the traffic is NAT or not.

To secure your HEX, look at the IP-Firewall page, there is a rule that drop all the INPUT to your HEX, change the incoming interface at that rule accordingly, more or less you are safe for now.

learnyee

Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:50 pm

hello
thank you for your guide. i have successfully change my unifi modem with mikrotik rb750r2. please guide me to add vlan on port 2-5. i'm not using iptv. i have follow this post but no luck.
tq.
if port 2-5 work like a switch, then you just create a bridge and add all ports 2-5 into the switch, then create a VLAN sitting on the bridge.

learnyee

Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi Soon Wai,

Thank you for this guide. I have successfully configured my Mikrotik HEX POE router using you guide. However i am having difficulties trying to get the voip phone on the maxis router to work.

I have configured the HEX POE router as my primary router and the Maxis router as secondary. DHCP and WLAN has been disabled on the maxis router.
I also configured the vlan for voip on the HEX router but it does not seem to be working so i think i must have miss something out.

What should i do next?

Thank you.
here, https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2710206, but can get pretty complicated the whole process.

kidzz
just joined

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi Soon Wai, Ive updated my firmware to routeros-smips-6.43.1.npk on my MikroRB941-2nD. Previous firmware was v6.40.9. and unifi was working but now the interface Master port is missing in this new firmware. How to setup tm unifi without the master port option. tq

PS: pls see ur https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Mikrotik ... ee/soonwai on port 5 setup

cinonese
just joined

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:25 pm

can someone advice on how to setup unifi using latest firmware 6.43.7 please? i stuck at port number to change the master port to none. thanks

zynick
just joined

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 pm

As some of you have pointed out to be stuck halfway thru the steps, I have compiled the guide for current Mikrotik Firmware version 6.43.7:
https://www.evernote.com/client/snv?not ... 1dd8fbe9c1

I'd be more than happy to update the wiki guide unfortunately it is not possible to create an account to to edit the page.

wiseguytoo
just joined

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am

As some of you have pointed out to be stuck halfway thru the steps, I have compiled the guide for current Mikrotik Firmware version 6.43.7:
https://www.evernote.com/client/snv?not ... 1dd8fbe9c1

I'd be more than happy to update the wiki guide unfortunately it is not possible to create an account to to edit the page.
do i need to bridge vlan500 to all port. i.e. ether3, ether4

metallica818
just joined

Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:37 am

Hi,

I am currently using a HEX as my main router. Everything is good with Unifi internet (port 2-4) and hypptv (port5) connection. However, now i need to extent the VLAN connection to another switch/router. I am having OpenWRT (with TP-WR1043ND). I have been trying to configure the VLAN trunking/tagging from port 5 of Mikrotik to WAN/LAN port of OpenWRT but failed. Can any one please help? I tried few guides below but no success.

https://klseet.com/?view=article&id=94: ... &catid=279

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1733801

cwtien
just joined

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 am

There's a slim chance that Soonwai will reply, but with the updated guidance that all VLANs use one bridge and use VLAN isolation ports, will there be an updated guide that uses this new provisioning way?

Mikrotik now recommends to create only one bridge, and use port VLAN isolation to separate VLAN traffic on that bridge.