Community discussions

MikroTik App

nischl
just joined
Topic Author

basic configuration

Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Hey *

after unpacking my RB2011UiAS.RM and installing it i tried to make initial configuration, but failed big time.

Connection to the device was working initially, but then i could not find a way to configure ip addresses for the interfaces.
I noticed that there was a bridge configured which I assumed was the reason i could not define addresses for the interfaces. So i deleted the bridge.
after that, i cannot connect to device any more.

How can i connect to it, which port will now be the port with the preconfigured ip? how can i safely set the basic configuration setting?

/ni

matiaszon

Re: basic configuration

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm

There plenty of manuals in the net. If you just google it, you will find what you need. For example here.

What do you want to do? WAN on one of the ethernet ports? LAN on the other + AP?

nischl
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

I want to use it as, well, a router.

LAN1 ---- IF1--|
LAN2 ---- IF2--| Mikrotik Box
LAN3 ---- IF3--|
LAN4 ---- IF4--|
No Internet, No AP, just a plain router. However, I need ACL to control communications between LANs

matiaszon

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:57 pm

The best way is to get WinBox from here (not sure if I can post the direct link).
Then run it, and choose "Neighbors" card. You will see MAC address and IP (most porbably 0.0.0.0 after deleting bridge). Click on MAC address so it appears above in "Connect To" line. Make sure the login and password are OK, and click "Connect". You are in.

On the left side choose "IP" and configure IPs for interfaces.

nischl
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Using the MAC did not work. Looks like deleting the bridge bricks the machine. I tried to reset the Router to default settings (which is waaaaaay too complicated) and now i can access the device again.

However, I still don't have a clue how to configure the device. The wiki link is no help at all as it covers a completely different scenario

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:24 pm

if u r not familiar with ROS, why dont you use quickset to setup the device? (winbox top left option)

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Quickset

nischl
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Reason is I cannot see any option in quickset that actually achieves what i want.i have option for 'internet', 'local network' , 'vpn' but how can i configure the device as a simple lan router? I have NO internet, I have NO vpn, but I want routing between the lan ports only. In quickset I can configure only one port.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm

IMHO it's better to reset device completely (rather than removing parts of default config) and go from there (blank config):
/system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes
Then just assign addresses to individual interfaces and because it's router, it will automatically route anything it can.

If you do reset device this way, you must be prepared to connect using MAC connection. The reason why it didn't work for you before could be settings in Tools->MAC Server. So check those and test MAC connection before resetting device.

nischl
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:12 pm

sounds reasonable, however, if i enter the command it would delete all changes to tools->mac server as well, wouldn't it?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Default in blank config is MAC access enabled on all ports.

nischl
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:13 pm

Cool, thanks! Now it is working as expected! How do I save/enable/backup/restore settings on the device? I did some experiments with routing, however, most of the time the settings were not available immediately, however, after reboot they worked. Is there a way without reboot?

janus20
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi,

You may find useful informations regarding your request here:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... Management

Also, if you are looking for a script to do it automatically you can find examples here, under "System Maintenance":
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Scripts

Hope it helps.

kind regards,

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm

All settings are applied immediately, you should not need to reboot.