Community discussions

MikroTik App

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

DNS for PPTP clients

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Hello,

What should I do to make VPN clients "see" static DNS configuration on MT ? I have PPTP configured, clients are getting proper IP addresses and MT IP as a DNS server, on MT I have some static DNS entries configured but when I connect as a client I'm not able to ping anything using domain name.

evince

Re: DNS for PPTP clients

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:40 am

Hello, in your pptp client, just add a DNS suffix, it will solve your problem.

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:33 pm

What do you mean "in pptp clients" - there are PCs with Win10 connected to VPN server. Should I change something in windows vpn connection configuration ?

evince

Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Yes, in the properties of the vpn connection (client side) just add the DNS suffix

==> Properties ==> Network management ==> TCP IPv4 ==> properties ==> advanced ==> DNS

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Could you tell me how should MT configuration look like to make DNS for PPTP clients work ? I have some static DNS entries, they are working directly on MT console but not for remote computers.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 pm

In the DNS static entry, you should specify the FQDN, ie: host.domain.local
One the client's PPTP suffix includes your domain name, then it should work. ie: domain.local

If it doesn't work, use nslookup on Windows, set server to the IP of your Mikrotik and do a query.

If there is no response from the Mikrotik, check the firewall. Also DNS needs to have "Allow Remote Requests" selected. Be sure the WAN is firewalled so remote requests can't come from WAN.

combayn
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Thank you - it worked :)

The problem is that I'd like not to use domains but only hostnames - is there a way to configure DNS/WINS to work without FQDN ?

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 am

The DNS part will only work with FQDN. You should be able to use WINS, and set the IP of the WINS server in the DHCP. I think you'd only be able to have 1 WINS server.

kuz8
just joined

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Thank you, it worked for me too with "prefix" only. I usually have 2 pptp client channels up on W10 workstation to different locations.

Question: On a relatively fast W10 client machine + quite idle CCR1036, it takes ~4 seconds to resolve, while if I directly add to Win10's etc/hosts the name resolution is immediate. Why is the delay and how to fix it?

In PPTP client DNS settings I've kept unchecked W10's "register this connection's addresses in DNS" and in turn the grayed out "Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration". Functionally it works without these checkmarks, but with this 4s delay. "ipconfig /flushdns" on the client doesn't help either.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:27 am

If you're trying to resolve hostname only, then your computer goes through various steps to resolve it.
1. It checks the hosts file, this returns immediately.
2. It checks DNS, if any of your adapters has a dns suffix then it'll try and resolve that way. If any DNS servers are slow to respond, this adds a delay.
3. When DNS fails, it'll then try a WINS server if configured.
4. If no WINS server configured, or it times out, then it'll try to contact the "Computer Browser" service on the network.
5. Finally if that doesn't work, then it uses a netbios broadcast where it asks all computers on a network if it has the name you're looking for.

Since you're not using DNS, timeouts in the rest of the steps may account for the 4 second delay.