Community discussions

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Can't configure RBwAP2nD-BE (wAP) - SOLVED

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi

I bought the wAP black edition (RBwAP2nD-BE).
The IP address is supposed to be 192.168.88.1 according to manual. And the default SSID should be "Mikrotik".

I power the device, the LEDs turn on temporarily, but the wireless LEDs turn off and I don't see any SSID.
I also can't ping 192.168.88.1 and WinBox doesn't detect any device.

I used wireshark and received packets such as BOOTP requests and Cisco Discovery Protocol confirming the device is working.

Any idea what I can be doing wrong?

By the way, the forum registration doesn't work, it fails on captcha.
Last edited by antispam on Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Can't configure RBwAP2nD-BE (wAP)

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Have hou tried to reset the device?

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:13 pm

The device is brand new. I have 4 of them, tested 3 and they all have the same behavior.

I tried pushing the reset button (and holding it for several seconds) while the device is on, as well as holding it before applying power. It doesn't seem to do anything. The LEDs turn on for some time, blink a little, but in the end the WiFi LEDs turn off and only the power and Ethernet LEDs remain.

Over Cisco Discrovery Protocol I can see that software 6.33.5 (stable) is installed.

matiaszon

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Connect the device via ethernet cable. Run WinBox on your PC and click on "Neighbors" card. Look for MAC address of your device. Log in using standard credentials (user: admin and no password). Click on "System" on the left and then "Reset configuration". Do not check anything in the pop up box. Click on "Reset Configuration" button.

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks, this is the first thing I tried but I don't see any device in "Neighbors" using WinBox 3.11.

I contacted tech support and they told me that the firewall is on by default on the Ethernet port and that I can't connect, I should use WiFi instead. The problem is, I don't detect any SSID and the WiFi LEDs are off.

I can't believe all 4 units are DOA.

eXS

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 pm

If you are able to obtain the RB MAC address via Wireshark (under > "IEEE 802.3 Ethernet" -> "Source: Routerbo_*) - I would attempt to "Connect To <MAC ADDRESS>" - in Winbox

- There's no switch or anything in between, right?

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:37 pm

I tried with and without a switch.

In wireshark I do see the device MAC address, because it brodcasts its software version using the Cisco Discovery Protocol. I also see some BOOTP requests on boot under some circumstances, but wasn't successful with the netinstall.

I tried connecting using the MAC address in Winbox 3.11. I typed the MAC address separated by colons. It didn't work.

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2017 6:11 pm

It turned out the wAP has a very poor (unintuitive) default configuration and that Winbox has a bug on PCs with multiple network adapters.
As suggested by my distributor, I used another PC with a single network adapter and it worked just fine. I was able to configure the wAP in "WISP AP" mode and it now works just fine.

eXS

Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm

Didn't realize you were using multiple NICs, would have suggested the same as here: viewtopic.php?p=595412#p595412

I'm not sure if its windows or winbox, could be a tossup. The other day wireshark wouldn't detect wired (usb) or wireless NICs on a win10 laptop of mine, re-boot solved it, who knows.

I frequently disable/enable NICs for various reasons so it sometimes doesn't occur to me that some might not consider that a part of a trouble shooting process.

I may not be hitting the command line in windows every day to add routes, but it's something that is sometimes required and involves essentially the same trouble-shooting process. Example: you have a routing problem on a windows machine, maybe windows is trying to route through the wrong NIC, disable NIC temporarily or fix route, move on.

When you are having difficulty connecting 2 devices, rule out the machine you are using by trying another. I would not assume multiple devices are faulty without trying another machine or completing a "without a doubt" level of trouble-shooting.

It's a little unclear what the default configuration had to do with this, but i've never used these devices specifically.

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 pm

I tried on another PC but it too had multiple NIC. I never expected that a company making networking equipment would make a utility that fails without even a warning on such a PC.

The default configuration problem is that I would have expected the wAP to ship in a configurable state, which means with a static IP (optionally DHCP server), as well as a web page reachable on port 80 not blocked by a firewall.

The documentation that comes with the devices says to connect to SSID "Mikrotik" and open http://192.168.88.1 in a browser. It doesn't work over WiFi since there is no such SSID, and doesn't work over Ethernet for some other reasons (firewall maybe?). So the documentation is wrong. My point was that the default configuration should be that the documentation is right. And have the default config been intuitive and coherent with the documentation, I wouldn't have had to use Winbox and the number of NIC on my PC wouldn't have mattered.

I lost a lot of time with this, I just wanted to say that my problem is solved if it can help others in the future.