Community discussions

Deathreaper15
just joined
Topic Author

Setting up mikrotik routerboard, RB951 series

Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 pm

So i got this on recommendation from a friend, however even after looking at tutorials i have barely an idea of how to set it up, and its performing currently much worse than my previous router on this current computer, i use a wireless linksys adapter to receive wireless, a N300 AE1200

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Setting up mikrotik routerboard, RB951 series

Thu May 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Ask your friend to help you configure this router...I still think this one is really cool (as well as really old...)

Deathreaper15
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 pm

i would, if he hadnt told me its too complicated to help me set up over the net...and just refuses to help me, and the initial configuration page on the wiki has a couple of key differences that make it harder for me to understand, this page is the one i am referencing https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... figuration

Deathreaper15
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 6:48 am

No one is willing to offer any assistance on the matter?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 27, 2017 7:19 am

It's not question of willingness but of effectivity. You have not provided any information how the router should work, so there are no suggestions you can get.
Edit : actually there is one. Reset it to defaults.

Deathreaper15
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 27, 2017 7:24 am

Past the original quicksetup page i honestly have no idea how to continue, so far the net has been rather unstable even though i managed to boost the signal quality by bypassing the obstacles weakening the signal, but the speeds are erratic and hit extreme lows and highs at times, i am trying to figure out what i need to do to make things stable, and everything i attempt either does nothing or completely cuts off internet access. One time the internet speed was because the default gateway was not available and the diagnostics was able to fix that at the time, i thought to attempt to set my own gateway or try to set it to a static IP but both attempts at it failed utterly, considering a lot of things need a static IP i could start there if anyone is willing to help me.