Community discussions

MikroTik App

lenn0x
just joined
Topic Author

Metal 52 AC in CPE to a HAP AC Port 5

Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 am

Good Evening,

I've read several threads on here and Reddit attempting to make these two units work together. I managed to get the metal 52 ac (running DHCP on the metal) to connect to a network and im able to ping with in the hap but I cannot get internet access to anything connected to the hap.
Ideally I would love to be able to connect the metal 52 ac to port 5 for the poe but I do have a poe injector if that makes it easier to configure with port 1.

Im essentially trying to replicate wifi rangers solution.

Any tips would be highly appreciated.

lenn0x
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Metal 52 AC in CPE to a HAP AC Port 5

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Anyone that could assist me with this?

jkauszler
just joined

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 pm

lenn0x, have you been able to solve this? I'm trying to do the exact same thing.

I've found this article (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connect_ ... ss_Network) that can establish the hAP as a station, but I haven't yet figured out how to connect the Metal 52 over POE as a CPE.

Bump for any additional help.

Thanks

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:53 pm

I've found this article (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connect_ ... ss_Network) that can establish the hAP as a station, but I haven't yet figured out how to connect the Metal 52 over POE as a CPE.
First make sure your Metal is correctly setup as a CPE. Connect it directly to your computer LAN and see if you can access internet when you connect to an AP with internet.

When it is setup and working change the LAN IP from default to some other subnet like 192.168.89.0/24. You can make this change from the Quick Set page by modifying Local Network IP and the DHCP Server Range. Click "Apply" and then reboot the Metal. When it is rebooted check that you can still get internet.

Reset your hAP to factory defaults and plug the ethernet cable from the Metal into port 1 on the hAP. You should now be able to use the Metal when connected to the hAP.

If everything is working with this basic setup then make a backup on each device. Now you can experiment with other types of arrangements for the hAP such as setting it so that it is not a router.

A simple way to use port 5 POE out is to change port 5 from a slave to ether2 and then make a second bridge with ether1 and ether5 in it. You can then use ether 5 as a WAN port with POE-Out.

jkauszler
just joined

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:10 am

w32pamela thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the first aspect of this process. "First make sure your Metal is correctly setup as a CPE. Connect it directly to your computer LAN and see if you can access internet when you connect to an AP with internet." I've reset to the factory settings as a CPE. After connecting to an AP I can receive packets but it doesn't appear any are transmitting. Trying to ping some external service leads to "Invalid value for argument address: invalid value of mac-address, mac-address required invalid value for argument ipv6-address while resolving ip-address: could not not get answer from dns server. I probably have some obvious setting misconfigured that I'm over looking.

jkauszler
just joined

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 am

Okay I've figured the internet connection issues with this guide: https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/uldis.pdf

Moving on to the hAP.

jkauszler
just joined

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 am

w32pamela can you explain in a little more detail on how to perform this action: "A simple way to use port 5 POE out is to change port 5 from a slave to ether2 and then make a second bridge with ether1 and ether5 in it. You can then use ether 5 as a WAN port with POE-Out" ?

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Here are the steps to change your hAPac so that Port 5 is a WAN port and can provide POE out. They assume that you are starting with your router at factory reset settings. I don't have an hAPac available to test on so I used an RB951ui-2HnD with rOS v6.38.7.

1.Interfaces - "ether5" - change "Master Port" to "none"

2.Bridge - Create new Bridge name=bridge-wan
Bridge->Ports
add Interface=ether1 Bridge=bridge-wan
add Interface=ether5 Bridge=bridge-wan
3. IP->DHCP Client
edit - change Interface to "bridge-wan"

4. IP-Firewall-Filter Rules
edit rules that show "in/out-interface matcher not possible..."
change "ether1" to "bridge-wan"
5. IP-Firewall-NAT
edit rules that show "in/out-interface matcher not possible..."
change "ether1" to "bridge-wan"

Steps 4 & 5 may be different for you depending on what rOS version you are running.
Keep in mind that there is a voltage drop through the router to port 5 so if you are running off a 12 volt DC system you don't want to be using long cable runs to the metal.

jkauszler
just joined

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 am

Thanks for all of your help w32pamela. Your solution didn't exactly fit my needs but it definitely put me 80% there. For others in a similar boat, or rv, here's what I did.

I started from booting the hAP in a Dual Home AP (check the quick sets), keeping the the Internet Acquisition to Automatic. From there I went into Interfaces >> Interface and set Ether5 master-port to "none". Then I went to Interfaces >> Interface List and changed the WAN from Ether1 to Ether5. Next IP >> DHCP Client and change the interface from Ether1 to Ether5. Next IP >> DNS and set that to some local DNS. I used 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4. It looks like the NAT settings are fine with the defaults but I'm also not super familiar with them so I'll keep looking into that. I left Ether1 open for a hardline for now, but I may try to change that in the future.

Thank you again, w32pamela! Hopefully this helps someone along the way.

madtorq
just joined

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:54 am

w32pamela, could you possibly break down exactly what to set up on the metal like you did for the HAP? I am having trouble getting it to work, I think I am missing something simple.

to be clear, I am trying to use the metal to connect to different public wifi hotspots as I travel in my RV and use the HAP as the router. I know I will have to log in to change SSID and auth for different hot spots, but I can't seem to get it working in my testing. I am currently setting it up with a freshly reset config and then:

-Setup Wireless mode: station-pseudobridge-clone.
- Setup Wireless > Security profile: Mode dynamic keys, Authentication Types: check WPA and WPA2 PSK, Unicast cyphers: aes ccm, Group Cyphers unicast ccm. change the password to the specific SSID you're connecting to.
- Create a bridge, and add wlan1 and ether1 to it.

and no love.... what am I missing?

jkauszler
just joined

Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:59 am

w32pamela, could you possibly break down exactly what to set up on the metal like you did for the HAP?
Madtorq, I was able to get the same setup configured and working with my RV. I recorded some video's to help me remember how to get this configuration working. It may be missing some details but hopefully, it helps you out.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y322Wp6 ... e=youtu.be
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ICYF9TutE&t=2s

madtorq
just joined

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:45 am

w32pamela, could you possibly break down exactly what to set up on the metal like you did for the HAP?
Madtorq, I was able to get the same setup configured and working with my RV. I recorded some video's to help me remember how to get this configuration working. It may be missing some details but hopefully, it helps you out.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y322Wp6 ... e=youtu.be
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ICYF9TutE&t=2s
awesome thank you very much, I will give it a try and let you know how it works!

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Try these intructions for setting up your Groove as CPE.

Use Winbox for configuration and do not make any changes on the Quick Set page.
1. Upgrade your Metal to rOS v6.42.6 and then go to System->Routerboard after the upgrade, click on "Upgrade", agree to upgrade and reboot.
2. Reset to factory defaults
3 Open New Terminal and enter /export file=factory. When done go to files and move factory.rsc to your computer. This file can be opened with most text editors.
4. Go to System->Reset configuration, select "No Default Configuration", "Do Not Backup" then click "Reset Configuration"
5. Access your Groove and connect using the MAC address.
6. Go to Wireless->Wireless Interfaces and open the wlan1 details window. Select the Wireless tab and set:
MODE=Station
Frequency=auto
No SSID
Wireless Protocol=802.11
Click Apply and OK
7. Go to IP->Addresses and Add:
Address=192.168.89.1/24
Network=192.168.89.0
Interface=ether1
8. Select IP->DHCP Client and make wlan1 the DHCP client
9. Go to IP->DHCP Server and Setup "ether1" as the DHCP Server
DHCP Address Space=192.168.89.0/24
DHCP Gateway=192.168.89.1
Address to Give Out=192.168.89.50-192.168.89.99
DNS Server=192.168.89.1
10. Go to IP->DNS and check mark "Allow Remote Requests" Click Apply
Click Static and set Address=192.168.89.1 click apply
11. Go to "Interface->Interface List, click the Lists button and create a WAN and LAN entry then add List=WAN Interface=wlan1 and List=LAN Interface=ether1
13. Open factory.rsc in a text editor. Go down the list to "/ip firewall filter" and copy everything from it to the bottom.
14. Open New Terminal and paste what you copied into the terminal and hit enter when the paste is complete.
15. Reboot the Metal and you should be done.

The Metal will be scanning for 5 ghz signals. If you need 2.4ghz then go into Wireless and change the Band and Channel Width for 2.4ghz.

This should give you the basic setup for the Metal as a CPE. I changed the IP of the Metal to 192.168.89.0/24 so that there will be no conflict if you are using the default IP of 192.168.88.0/24 on the hAP.

You will want to add Login security to your Metal and you can scan both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands by creating a Scan List.

madtorq
just joined

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:19 am

Thank you for the details... followed the instructions, but one thing missing is the part where you want the ip firewall filter stuff from the factory.rsc file.... I have no listing of firewall filter in there.... what am I missing? what should be setup in the firewall?

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 pm

@madtorq

Your export file made in step 3 should have had the complete factory default settings including the default firewall settings. If it doesn't and you've gone through the rest of the setup then you should go to Files and make a backup of what you've done then do a factory reset, go to IP->Firewall and confirm you have firewall rules and if you do then do step 3 again.

Access the Metal at 192.168.88.1 and restore your backup file then do steps 13-15. This is just make sure you have Mikrotiks current basic firewall settings.

madtorq
just joined

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 pm

I was exporting on a wipe with no default config.... I exported after a wipe with the factory config and all is working now. Thank you very much for the help, all of you!

madtorq
just joined

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:04 am

So the setup is working.... except I am connected via wifi to the HAP and I can only see it and not the metal in WinBox. Is there a way to connect without having to get a POE injector and plugging laptop directly into the metal? Would be nice to connect via wifi to the HAP and then use winbox to be able to get into the metal to change the WAN wifi network as I travel. I must have missed something.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:44 am

You won't see it in Winbox but you should be able to access it by entering the Metals static IP (192.168.89.1) in Winbox.

madtorq
just joined

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:05 pm

right on, that works!! thank you again

madtorq
just joined

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:09 pm

so I finally got to actually use this and I am having a real speed problem.

Sitting here in the camper with my laptop connected to the campsite wifi, I get 16mbit down/20mbit up and 4ms ping on speedtest.net. then if I connect to my Metal/HAP setup that is connected to the same campsite wifi, I get about 3mbit up and down and an 18ms ping same speedtest server. I played with the wifi settings on the metal a bit, 20mhz channel with 2.4 only G seems to be the fastest, got it up to about 5mbit down and 10ms ping, but can't seem to get faster than that.

Any thoughts on where my bottle neck is? it has to be a setting of some sort. I think it is on the metal because the local devices connected to the HAP do not seem slow at all, but not sure on a good way to test to confirm that.

jammiel
just joined

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:30 am

so pleas, does this setting work for the RB951Ui 2HnD ,, because am new to mikrotik and the router board i have the ether 1 port is bad , how do i configure the port 5 to the same thing as the port 1, please step by step approach will be appreciated, secondly how do i also setup the basic setting so my router can pick up internet form my isp