Community discussions

MitchBuchannon
just joined
Topic Author

Capsman with hAP ac lite RB952 for a beginner?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:41 am

I'm very new into Routerboard and have a few hAP ac lite that i would like to use with Capsman to cover our house with WiFi.

First - is my hAP ac lite RB952 powerful enough to run Capsman with one controller and 2-4 AP's (all hAP ac lite)? Or do I need a more powerful controller? The usage is a standard family with kids streaming Youtube, parents working from home, several smartphones, iPads etc.

A few more questions:
- If I set up a network of three hAP ac lite, will all three be used as AP's or does one needs to only be dedicated as controller?
- Can the hAP ac lite that's used as AP also be used as a switch where I can connect computers or my NAS?
- Is it realistic to configure a Capsman setup like this, plus an extra SSID for guests that only allows Internet access? I find the guides I've seen quite complicated...

/MB

Lex1020
just joined

Re: Capsman with hAP ac lite RB952 for a beginner?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:22 am

I can't answer the power question but I can answer the others.

All of the hAPs can be used as AP but depending on the answer to the powerful enough question it might not be advised.

Yup you can also use it as a switch.

Yes you can also set this up with an extra SSID for guests by creating a virtual access point vAP off one of your radios.

The big limiting factor is going to be the answer to that powerful enough question.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mett

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:28 am

Hello,

I'd say that the hAP ac lite is powerful enough to be the Capsman for all of your devices. You can configure one device as Capsman which is controlled by itself at the same time. So, no, there's no need for one dedicated controller. The hAP ac lite can also be used as a switch. Last but not least it is also possible to define a network just for guests. In my setup I defined a VLAN as guest network with it's own DHCP server and one wifi with an own SSID, which is connected to this VLAN. This setup is not so much complicated as long as you're familiar with the basics of a VLAN- and Capsman-configuration in RouterOS.
forum.mikrotik@honig.do0.de

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Everything is doable, the question to provide advice regarding sizing is: what's your internet bandwidth?
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

MitchBuchannon
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 pm

The Internet access is 100/10 but I don't know how high our usage is. The kids are normally streaming Youtube but not filesharing or online gaming. The workrelated is standard Office 365 mail usage, Skype video and file access at the office fileshare.

Lex1020
just joined

Re: RE: Re: Capsman with hAP ac lite RB952 for a beginner?

Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:20 pm

The Internet access is 100/10 but I don't know how high our usage is. The kids are normally streaming Youtube but not filesharing or online gaming. The workrelated is standard Office 365 mail usage, Skype video and file access at the office fileshare.
The Skype video calling might take up some bandwidth, but it should be doable

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:38 pm

- If I set up a network of three hAP ac lite, will all three be used as AP's or does one needs to only be dedicated as controller?
The three could be used as APs, one of them additionally acting as CAPsMAN, n oneed for dedicated CPAsMAN controller.

That being said, a hAP ac lite will cope with 100/10, but the point is you're deploying AC (which will exceed what a 100BT interface can pass when using laptops), and you have a NAS in your network, for this reason I would use a gigabit "backbone": i.e. either a gigabit router or AP as your CAPs manager: Hex (RB750Gr3) can be a good candidate for this if going for a router; RB951G-2HnD or even better, hAP ac if you prefer an AP.
- Can the hAP ac lite that's used as AP also be used as a switch where I can connect computers or my NAS?
Yes. Though I would plug the NAS to the gigabit device I advised previously.
- Is it realistic to configure a Capsman setup like this, plus an extra SSID for guests that only allows Internet access? I find the guides I've seen quite complicated...
Yes is doable. It may look as being more complex in the beggining, but this will allow you to easily manage multiple SSIDs, where you can leave one for the office, other for guests, other for the kids... applying different restrictions to each.
Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication - Da Vinci
Getting the most out of this forum

courtois
just joined

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 pm

hello my friends
I a new here.
I setup capsman on RB941, and my problème is that I can not manage the own wireless of the capsman, I can see only the differents CAP.
I must use the own wireless of CAPsman.
I've try to add firewall rules to accept 127.0.0.1 but don't work.

have you some Idea?

courtois
just joined

Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 pm

hi, I've solve the issue.
in capsman setup, don't blind bridge and wlan.