Community discussions

MikroTik App

miyago
just joined
Topic Author

My first mikrotik device

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Hello

I recently bought a hAP ac RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT to replace my old asus. After reading alot of what is router can do I was very excited to try it out and expand my somewhat limited networking knowledge. The plan is to only use it in my apartment with very devices connected but wired and wireless.

The only problem I've ran into so far is internet access. When I plug it in and open up the quick set in winbox it wont recognize any internet settings automatically like my old asus router does. I also wrote down my internet settings detected from my old router and tried entering it in the mikrotik router but didn't work either.

I updated my firmware to 6.39.2 but didn't change anything.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: My first mikrotik device

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:23 pm

You may need to enter some values to get it up and running. I know by default the router should be running a DHCP client on ether1 (WAN). This works for a lot of ISP connections here in the US. If you connection is a PPPoE type of connection you may have to manually set the MikroTik to that and enter your username and password.

miyago
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Ive connected successfully through WiFi and got into winbox DHCP works as far as i can tell. I dont have a PPPoE type connection. I got the internet cable into the ether1 (WAN) but in the quickset page there are no settings automatically detected.

acruhl

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 am

A few things:

1. If you use a cable modem, power cycle it. Sometimes your router won't get a DHCP address until you power cycle the modem.
2. If you're not using a cable modem (DSL for example), you probably are using PPPoE and you need the username and password for that.

You didn't tell us what your physical internet connection is. Tell us, then maybe it will be easier to figure out.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 am

ISPs in my region allow for 1 device to be connected. A second won't obtain an IP, and a new mac won't obtain a new IP until the old lease expires. Try cloning the mac of your Asus to your ether1. In winbox, go to Terminal and paste the following: /interface ethernet set ether1 mac-address=xxx (where xxx is your mac with no spaces, no dashes, no colons)

Failing that, you can use Tools > Packet Sniffer to see if the Mikrotik is actually sending out a DHCP request, and you can see if anything is replying.

miyago
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 am

ISPs in my region allow for 1 device to be connected. A second won't obtain an IP, and a new mac won't obtain a new IP until the old lease expires. Try cloning the mac of your Asus to your ether1. In winbox, go to Terminal and paste the following: /interface ethernet set ether1 mac-address=xxx (where xxx is your mac with no spaces, no dashes, no colons)

Failing that, you can use Tools > Packet Sniffer to see if the Mikrotik is actually sending out a DHCP request, and you can see if anything is replying.
This is actually what was wrong. The mac address I mean. I thought it very strange that it wouldn't give me any settings but now it works flawlessly.

Thank you so much for all the replies.

Now its time for experiments!