MikroTik App

krzyhoo
just joined
Topic Author

[SOLVED] Assign Static IPs in RB3011 to four RB952 serving as access points

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi, I have the following setup:
  • RB3011 as the main router / DHCP server
  • 4 RB952 configured as simple APs running in Bridge mode to serve each floor.

On the RB3011 I have assigned static IPs to all 4 APs (DHCP Leases -> make static) however I must've done something wrong. Oftentimes on restart different IPs are being assigned. Yesterday I also noticed that the MAC Addresses are different (last hex number differs) although I can's say if the same was before I made software and FW upgrade. I think that this changing MAC address causes the problem, although I am also convinced that there is a better way to achieve waht I need.

The question I here is simple. How do I properly configure my setup to make sure that the 952s will always get the same IPs assigned by my 3011?
Mikrotik.PNG
Thanks a lot for your support.

Best
Krzysztof
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by krzyhoo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Assign Static IPs in RB3011 to four RB952 serving as access points

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:21 pm

If MAC address was changed on the client then of course DHCP server will give different IP address.

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm guessing that you have put the dhcp-client on the bridge on the APs.

The DHCP client will use the mac address of the bridge.

If you have not set an admin mac on the bridge then the bridge will pick a mac from the interfaces in the bridge, and that can change.

So the answer is, set an admin mac on the bridge.

Nick

krzyhoo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 pm

So the answer is, set an admin mac on the bridge.
Nick, Thanks a lot for your response. Now would you be so kind and "Explain like I'm 5" this to me? What is an Admin MAC? Are you talking about this one?

Mikrotik2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:42 pm

:)

Yes thats the one, you can see above that it has chosen a mac address of one of the interfaces assigned to the bridge.

If you take the mac address it is currently using, which starts 6C and make it start 6E instead then you will have set a special private admin mac which will be unique and won't change.

Hope that helps
Nick

krzyhoo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:55 pm

Yes thats the one, you can see above that it has chosen a mac address of one of the interfaces assigned to the bridge.

If you take the mac address it is currently using, which starts 6C and make it start 6E instead then you will have set a special private admin mac which will be unique and won't change.

Hope that helps
Nick
Nick, brilliant. Works like a charm now. Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated.

krzyhoo
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Hope that helps
Nick
Nick, brilliant. Works like a charm now. Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated.

user10jmk
just joined

Re: [SOLVED] Assign Static IPs in RB3011 to four RB952 serving as access points

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 pm

I need your help guys! Something similar happens to me..

I have 2 hAP devices connected though LAN. The 1st runs DHCP Server, while the 2nd has static IP and every time a device will be rebooted it shows up on the leases table of the first.
The 2nd hAP has a bridge of all ether-ports + the wifi interface. I gave on its bridge an Admin MAC Address but now there are two leases shown on DHCP table of the 1st every time (one of the brigde MAC and one of the ether1 MAC which is connected). I also tried to give it a static IP through DHCP table (as static DHCP lease) but the same exact thing happens. There is no DHCP client set up anywhere. My goal is to not be shown on the leases table.

Why is it shown up every time? Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance.