Community discussions

MikroTik App

marchelloUA
just joined
Topic Author

use two ISP simulatenously

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi all,
I'm trying to figure out how to organize internet connection out of city where no unlimit stable ISP is available.
So, we have few ISP with poor quality and paid traffic per each GB.
Theoretically, I would use Mikrotik RB450 because I have it already, though I would buy another model according to your advise.

My question is, how do I use two ISP simulatenously? I know I can switch between (1) and (2) if I can not ping google via (1) and then switch back if it is online again. This is how I use it in my city home where unlimited ISP it available. This is not the case out of city. So, it is possible at all to work with few ISPs at the same time and where to read more about it? What is the proper name of this way of work?
Thanks ahead.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: use two ISP simulatenously

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 am

PCC load balancing is common: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC

marchelloUA
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 am

PCC load balancing is common: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC
Would you please also clarify why PCC is the best fit in my situation from your point of view?
'Cause I can see many other methods listed in the Load Balancing article https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Balancing
Please advise.

aacable

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:48 pm

PCC is common (sort of auto) method of doing Load Balancing among various wan links you may have. It provides variety of methods to do the load balancing, like based on Source / Destination IP, Ports etc. Fail over is a bit tricky part depends on the network scenario.

Example:
If you have DSL links , configure your dsl modem in Bridge mode & dial the ISP via mikrotik then you can do the CHECK Gateway in Route section, so that if the link with the ISP is not established this route will not be used and requests for this link (pkts marked by the mangle section) will be routed by main route or next route with higher distance value.

If you have routers/gaetway in front, then the better approach would be to take the SCRIPT route . its a bit complex to configure in beginning, but its more preferable because its more elastic , highly customizable to acquire the required result. like you can send email alerts, take several action as per requirements, perform multiple checks etc etc

Example#1.
Example#2.

You better search google as internet is full of interesting methods posted by various personnels.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 pm

With PCC, if a client behind your router opens multiple connections to the same host, all connections will go out the same WAN. Where as N-th load balancing the multiple connections could be across both LANs.

When using a website, a browser cookie is used to remember the session and thus you can use multiple WANs on that website. However, for security, some websites don't allow the same session to span over multiple IP addresses. So the use is constantly asked to login while browsing that site.

VOIP and H323 also use multiple connections. Again, for security reasons, some voip systems won't allow audio channels to come from two different IPs. Or the PBX will tell the remote system an audio channels is coming from WAN1-IP but then it actually goes out WAN2-IP.

For these reasons I'd recommend PCC over n-th load balancing.

zippel

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 am

I use https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/ECMP_loa ... masquerade and it not works.. two ISP can't work at one time!
I don't understand why it happenes.. Can somebody on this board help me?

I read this wiki https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Balancing but can't find solution, I need make two WAN on my router, with balancing and dst-nat
For example: i've a web server, game servers in my local network, and I wanna make replies via same interface (from same Public IP) request came
thats all, thank you for you help..

marchelloUA
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Hi zippel,
As topic starter, I can say that in my case it works fine to switch between two ISP. I would like to know how to set load balancing as well (useful for me only if both ISP provide unlimited access, but one of my ISP is mobile with paid traffic so far).
I would suggest you to export all settings from your mikrotik into text file and post it here so that everyone could look and suggest something.
Good luck!

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi zippel,
As topic starter, I can say that in my case it works fine to switch between two ISP. I would like to know how to set load balancing as well (useful for me only if both ISP provide unlimited access, but one of my ISP is mobile with paid traffic so far).
I would suggest you to export all settings from your mikrotik into text file and post it here so that everyone could look and suggest something.
Good luck!

To add to this, when you do the bold above, start your own topic and not hijacking someone else's

zippel

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Guys, I use PCC and it works fine, but I can't understand one.. it works better if TCP connection established with bridges' client and its gateway.
Speed very slow to the WAN resources from LAN clients if TCP connection not exist between lan client and lan gateway, what is this?))) Or speed works better ifi I use a torch! what a hell?)))))

What command can show my router settings wich needeed? What sectiioon interest you? /ip interface? or what..

marchelloUA
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:36 pm

zippel, I believe this should cover exporting configuration questions:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:C ... figuration
(just start terminal in mikrotik interface first).

vladimirslk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:39 pm

distribute users to ch1 and ch2.
if you think to multiply total speed, impossible, redundancy 1 packet there 1 here will be outcome like banks will not let users to login (ip addresses swap all the time) as well as many other https services

simply dhcp server 1 192.168.2.1/24 and nat to ch1
and 2 192.168.3.1/24 and nat to ch2