Community discussions

MikroTik App

chaseandme
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik RouterBOARD mAP 2n

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased a condo that came equipped with a MikroTik RouterBOARD mAP 2n. The condo complex has shared wifi throughout (similar to a hotel, where you go to a URL and input your room number).

I'm assuming the router was purchased by a previous owner, so I have no information about it: no owners manual, no password/username. I'm hoping someone can explain to me what this particular router will do for me in this situation. I am usually pretty tech savvy, but I haven't been able to ascertain its use. What does it do and what are the benefits?

Thanks!
Barbara
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: MikroTik RouterBOARD mAP 2n

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:47 pm

It's a little swiss-army knife wireless access point and router of sorts
The condo complex has shared wifi throughout (similar to a hotel, where you go to a URL and input your room number).
I doubt it was left there, is it probably the AP providing wireless coverage to your condo when you enter your room number, i.e. it belongs to the complex.

chaseandme
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Ohhh, OK. So it is simply the router for the wifi, nothing else? I was hoping that it was some kind of add-on on top of the complex wifi that provided a layer of security.

So for extra security I'll have to use a VPN?

Thanks for your reply!

sjwrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:35 am

I would expect if you plug into the 2 ethernet port you would get an IP from the unit (depending on how it is configured.)

Once connected, take a look and see what your IP and gateway are. You may be able to open the webfig screen by pointing your browser at the gateway IP.
The default user name is admin/(blank) (ie no password.) But if default is the case, then you most likely won't have to log in at all. It will just open the config screen.
You can reset it to factory, but you run the risk of loosing the connection set for your condo.

Also there is a MAC address on the bottom label and you can see if that MAC matches the WIFI MAC, just to make sure that is what you are connecting to.

There is a GUI app at https://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros ... winbox.exe

OR if you are on a Mac (which I am) try http://joshaven.com/resources/tools/winbox-for-mac/

Condo? I'd probably use a VPN in any case.

Have fun!

Rick