Community discussions

MikroTik App

etr102
just joined
Topic Author

Having Trouble Creating DHCP Server

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Relatively new to Mikrotik. Trying to create a DHCP Server without success.

I have an RB3011 running 6.39.2(stable). My intended Configuration is for Port1 to go to a DSL Modem (PPPoE required), and Port2 to go to my switch and the rest of my LAN. Once I have this working I'll expand and use the other ports for other subnets.

But for now, all I have done is started by factory resetting the device and choosing the option in Winbox that says to remove the existing config to start completely clean.

For now I'm simply just trying to set up my IP addressing and DHCP Server on Port 2. I'll worry about getting the WAN/Internet working later.

So far all I have done is gone to IP -> Addresses and assigned 192.168.1.1/24 to eth2 with a Network IP of 192.168.1.0. I've gone to IP -> Pool and created a pool of addresses from 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254. I've gone do IP -> DHCP Server, Networks Tab and created a network for 192.168.1.0/24, with a Gateway of 192.168.1.1 and a DNS server of 192.168.1.2. And finally I've tried to create a DHCP Server for interface eth2, with the address pool mentioned above.

I try connecting a laptop to port 2 and I get no IP assigned. I look in the DHCP Server list in Winbox the the server I just create shows in Red, presumably because something is wrong but gives me no other info. What am I forgetting or doing wrong here?

etr102
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Having Trouble Creating DHCP Server

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:07 pm

Just an update.

I followed the instructions here: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/How_to_C ... _xDSL_Line since this very closely matches the initial setup I wish to achieve. The PPPoE connection works fine, and from within the RouterOS Terminal, I can ping WAN hosts.

However, the DHCP Server still does not work.

Investigating further, this seems to actually be an issue with LAN connectivity, as even if I manually assign an IP to the NIC of my laptop, I still am unable to ping my router.

As I said, I followed the instructions in the above link, so I have the NAT Masquerade set up as well as the example firewall rules that they give.

Any other suggestions? Please?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Try to reset your router to default config and look at configuration which just works.

etr102
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:03 am

Okay, I solved my problem (sort of). I assigned 192.168.1.1/24 to Ether3, connected my laptop to Ether3, I can ping both LAN and WAN ip's without any trouble. I switched the DHCP Server to Ether3 and that also works. So, everything works fine when configured for Ether3.

So I guess my only question is what could be wrong with Ether2? As stated this is coming from a completely blank configuration. There are no bridges, slaves/masters/etc. Just 10 independent ports. Why when I assign the IP to Ether2 does it not work, but Ether3 does?

acruhl

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 am

Do this:

/interfaces
export

Compare the setup of the ports closely. There should be no reason why one works and not the other. Unless the port is bad for some reason. I had a lightning strike and it took out a port on a MikroTik...