Community discussions

MikroTik App

bluebsh
Topic Author

Cable modem with dual WAN ports

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:24 pm

How do I go about setting up two ports on my system to connect to a dual WAN port cable modem (arris SB8200 or Motorola MB8600 type modems) when WAN port bonding is enabled?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Cable modem with dual WAN ports

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 am

That's a very big and complicated question. But you may be looking for a LOT of work, with no gain.

First, the modems referenced do not support any type of bonding. At best you will simply be able to get two public IP addresses - and that is only if your ISP allows it.
Next, even if you get two public IP's you can only do outbound load balancing - which is pointless because you are using the same modem, so you will still be limited to the max speed of your subscription.

Alternatively, you can use two separate modems to double your speed (on some things), but you will have to pay for double the service.

bluebsh
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Don't support bonding? That's news to me, the MB8600 is suppose to be able to bond up to 4 ports with 802.3ad, and Arris showed off the SB8200 with two bonded WAN ports also with LACP at the last Cable trade show

Arris was showing the SB8200 pulling 1.8 Gbps via dual WAN bonding. Comcast has plans to someday enable the ports to support bonding to get the full 1Gbps (can only pull about 975Mbps right now due to overhead)

bluebsh
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Here's some info from the MB8600 FAQ page:

The MB8600 hardware offers LAG support when connected to devices that implement LAG. LAG stands for Link Aggregation Group. Devices that support LAG can bond two or more Ethernet ports together, and achieve higher throughput speeds.

bluebsh
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:26 pm

I was hoping I could just make a bonded interface, add ether1 and ether2 to it as slaves with mii monitoring and LACP as the bonding type, not sure how to make this bond the WAN port though (still very new to microtik)

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Interesting. My 8200 does not have any bonding options at all.

Creating a bond is simple, but please keep in mind that the bond is done in software and not hardware slow the MIPS routers are going to have high CPU load.

Simpley remove two interfaces from any bridge or master port. Create a new bond interface with the two interfaces. Select the correct protocol for the bond.

bluebsh
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Interesting. My 8200 does not have any bonding options at all.

Creating a bond is simple, but please keep in mind that the bond is done in software and not hardware slow the MIPS routers are going to have high CPU load.

Simpley remove two interfaces from any bridge or master port. Create a new bond interface with the two interfaces. Select the correct protocol for the bond.
The SB8200 is configured from the MSO end for bonding, you wont see the options you will have to user what the MSO picks unfortinuatly...