Community discussions

MikroTik App

Towilk
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS - 3G/LTE Modem Roaming ON/OFF ?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:52 am

Hello,

i am using since some months several RB953GS-5HnT-RP Routerboards with a HUAWEI ME909u-521 LTE/3G Modem-Card
(mini PCIe) installed on it. I used the Routers also in foreign countries with LTE/3G Roaming.
All working fine with older Firmware & RouterOS version - anyway it was working..
But i installed now some new Routers with actual Firmware (3.41) and RouterOS 6.40.3 and it looks like that
newly the LTE/3G ROAMING is disabled ?
As soon as the Router is outside the "Home" Network there is no data connection anymore...
I tested simcards with mobile phone etc.and inside phones they are working with roaming normally.
I tried already checked bx WINBOX the LTE Interface - but there is no item like "roaming on /off" or similar.
I found the command "allow-roaming=yes" which will be accepted by the CLI but i have no idea if this command
is really switching the modes (?) because nowhere i can monitor the roaming status (?)...

Does anyone have an idea how to activate the roaming and how to find the current status of the roaming option ?

Regards,
Thomas

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RouterOS - 3G/LTE Modem Roaming ON/OFF ?

Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 pm

You need to specify the allow-roaming option to yes from the console.
You can see in the log files when you enable the lte logging logs to see what command is sent.

Towilk
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RouterOS - 3G/LTE Modem Roaming ON/OFF ?  [SOLVED]

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for help, i tried this now.. i have entered in the console "allow-roaming=yes" and after this appears the dialog for the interface number and i set "0" for the LTE modem. Command was accepted and i saw in the log file the commands.
But after this the Problem is still the same. Data Connection is only established in the "Home" network.
I put the router in mal car and tested this outside in the roaming Area , but in this area it will not connect.
Status of the LTE page shows only Basic data, no Operator, no signal strength...
The Scan Shows available Networks (Roaming Networks) but there is no connect(SIM is open for European Roaming).
As soon as i will come back in reach of my "Home" Network the router will connect to this and is working in normal way.

I have this Problem actually with 3 systems. I think that the roaming command will not be accepted by the Huawei ME909u-521
Modem (?). The Firmware of the modem is the actual one(12.636.12.01).
Are there and other ways to set the Roaming Mode?
Or will i have to downgrade to older RouterOS Version (below 6.3??)

//// Update ////
Problem was solved by entering the modem init AT command within the LTE tab. Initial modem AT command (SYSCFGEX)at activation of the interface by RouterOS set the roaming Mode to Off. Command can be seen in the LTE log.
Entered with option roaming (1) instead of (0) in the modem init row....
Probably the "allow-roaming=yes" command should do the same but it worked not at my hardware