Community discussions

MikroTik App

djago
Topic Author

Newbie questions about PCC

Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:04 am

Hi

I've been reading the https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PCC, and also I've seen lots of users PCC configs. There's one thing I don't understand in the manual, specifically the lines of the mangle rules:
add chain=prerouting in-interface=ISP1 connection-mark=no-mark action=mark-connection \
    new-connection-mark=ISP1_conn
add chain=prerouting in-interface=ISP2 connection-mark=no-mark action=mark-connection \ 
    new-connection-mark=ISP2_conn
Why prerouting and not input? The text says that these connections are "connection initiated from outside"...

Another question here in these lines:
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=10.111.0.1 distance=1 check-gateway=ping
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=10.112.0.1 distance=2 check-gateway=ping
Why distances are different? On several PCC configurationes I've seen, distance are the same.
Regards

djago
Topic Author

Re: Newbie questions about PCC

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:24 am

Anyone?

bajodel
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Newbie questions about PCC  [SOLVED]

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 am

Why prerouting and not input? The text says that these connections are "connection initiated from outside"...
Connections from outside can go to the router (input) or can pass through to a device behind (forward), using prerouting you intercept both.
Why distances are different? On several PCC configurationes I've seen, distance are the same.
Regards
Those two lines say: in the MAIN routing table install a default gateway (10.111.0.1) and check it with ping, if 10.111.0.1 is unreachable than the route become invalid and next distance route is the new default gateway. The second route must have higher distance in order to be inactive when first is active, otherwise you would have ECMP (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-c ... th_routing).