Community discussions

MikroTik App

TiaanJvR
just joined
Topic Author

Can't obtain IP address

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:32 pm

I have this issue which I once corrected by following a reset procedure for my Mikrotik Hap Routerboard. It involved no wifi being present so I reset the router to factory settings. I did this by following a YouTube tutorial. The problem occured yet again which had me change a few things on the router, had no idea what I was doing.

So I went back to resetting to factory settings, followed the steps yet again, wifi worked although I could not connect any devices to it. My POE is plugged into the POE port (1) and another ethernet cable into port 2 which goes directly into my PC. The internet works fine.

However once I try to connect to the router via wifi my mobile says "Failed to obtain IP address". Thought that changing the DCHP to static would help but it did not. Might not have entered the correct IP or gateway but I entered those displayed on the router itself. I have the router set to automatic internet detection. The same procedure I followed when I 1st encountered the problem. This time around the wifi is there but my mobile or any wireless device can't get an IP address.

Is there something I have changed unknowingly in the IP settings? Maybe someone can link me a guide? I dont know why it doesn't work after I followed the exact same steps as before.

Thanks

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Can't obtain IP address  [SOLVED]

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:48 pm

... or if the HAP is strictly acting as an AP (you have some other device working as your router) then make sure the wlan interface is bridged to the LAN interface.

If the HAP is all-in-one and the hard-wired computers are getting IP addresses properly, then you probably just need to go into the bridge menu and add wlan1 as a port on the LAN bridge.

TiaanJvR
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Can't obtain IP address

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you both for the feedback. Unfortunately I am a complete newbie when it comes to adding bridges. As I don't want to take up too much of your time could you maybe direct me to a tutorial explaining how to bridge wlan1 to my ethernet connection? Currently I have ethernet 1 and 2 showing in my router. I assume Ethernet 1 being from the POE into the router and 2 is running from the router to my PC. If I understand correctly I am supposed to bridge my wlan1 to ethernet 1 right? My DCHP is activated

I have searched the forums on a way to do this. Yet to find anything but I will keep on searching and post my progress as soon as I have made some.

Thanks again

TiaanJvR
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Can't obtain IP address

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm

I found the solution guys thank you. Seemed that I had to bridge the interface with wlan1 with a new IP range or something. Watched a video which I will link in case someone else has the same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNjo1FjM9kI

Thanks again