Community discussions

MikroTik App

stefano94zaniboni
just joined
Topic Author

Connect two Mikrotik hAP under the same LAN

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi all! I'm a newbie in the mikrotik world so please apologize me for my errors. I need to connect two my new Mikrotik hAP rb941 under the same network: now i have a D-Link 4G modem in my new home that allow me (temporarily) to access the internet and it has 192.168.0.1 IP address 255.255.255.0 subnet mask and the google's dns. I would like to use the d-link only as a modem and connect on his ether1 port the first hAP with LAN-WAN connection, create the WiFi and then connect the second hAP through a LAN cable that go on the 2nd floor of my house e create a WiFi with the same SSID of the first hAP and have only one local area, so if i have a pc/smartphone/generic device connected to the 1st floor WiFi or Lan i would like to see them with another device connected to the WiFi or Lan. Thank you for help and sorry for my bad english!:)

matiaszon

Re: Connect two Mikrotik hAP under the same LAN

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 pm

I don't know if you are receiving public IP from your ISP, but if so, please remember, that if you go this way, you will have two NATs. Anyway, you can always set DMZ for you 1st hAP. I understand, that your 2nd hAP will be connected to the 1st one by LAN cable. Please look for CAPsMAN settings. What you need to do is to set up CAP Manager on the main hAP and set the other as AP managed by CAPsMAN.

Here are some links
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CAPsMAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOO8K9gGuIc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVTsa59ijD4

stefano94zaniboni
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I have watched my CAPsMAN configuration in both my mikrotik device but in both is empty. Anyway i have connected my first hAP with LAN-WAN cable from my modem 4g and then on the LAN2 port on this hAP i connected the 2nd hAP in my bedroom and on this i have connected the cable on LAN2 port. The second hAP has the DHCP, NAT and UPnP disabled. It works! I have all device under the same local area (192.168.88.10-254) and my 2 hAP on two different addresses (192.168.88.1 and 192.168.88.2). Now I want to change the policy on assignments of ip on my lan: i want start to assign the ip from 192.168.88.10 and not from 192.168.88.254.

matiaszon

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 pm

CAPsMAN
It is empty, because you need to configure it! 1st hAP will be CAP Manager and the other will be just CAP (Access Point assigned to CAP Manager). The advantage is that you manage all your access points (if they are assigned to CAP Manage) from one place! You will see all clients connected in on place. Otherwise, to locate a client connected you have to login to 1st or 1nd MikroTik device.

DHCP
By default MikroTik assigns IPs starting from the highest number (254, 253, 252, etc.). You can manually assign IP by MAC address in DHCP leases, and then it will assign always the same IP to the specific MAC.