Community discussions

konicek
just joined
Topic Author

home network setting

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi,
I am really newbie, first time using mikrotik router OS..could you please help me with network setting?
I have a modem from internet provider -> next is RB2011il-IN (ethernet router without wifi) -> from RB2011il-IN going LAN cables to other rooms in my house and 2xLAN cables to two wifi AP (cAP lite AP/Hotspot) - 1st one placed in hall in the 1st floor and 2nd one in hall in the 2nd floor. My idea is that 1st one AP will be set up through web config - QuickSet mode as "Home AP" and second one AP as "PTP Bridge"...so I would like to have one wifi network with wifi roaming.
Problem which I have is that all three mikrotik hardware's (router and both AP's) have IP address 192.168.88.1...so I do not know how I can change default setting of both AP's and what I have to modify in ethernet router setting.
By default setting (without any change) LAN connection is working properly but I have two separate wifi and both of them are not stable (connection speed is very low or losing internet connection).
Thank you in advance for any advice.

matiaszon

Re: home network setting

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi,
I am really newbie, first time using mikrotik router OS..could you please help me with network setting?
I have a modem from internet provider -> next is RB2011il-IN (ethernet router without wifi) -> from RB2011il-IN going LAN cables to other rooms in my house and 2xLAN cables to two wifi AP (cAP lite AP/Hotspot) - 1st one placed in hall in the 1st floor and 2nd one in hall in the 2nd floor. My idea is that 1st one AP will be set up through web config - QuickSet mode as "Home AP" and second one AP as "PTP Bridge"...so I would like to have one wifi network with wifi roaming.
Problem which I have is that all three mikrotik hardware's (router and both AP's) have IP address 192.168.88.1...so I do not know how I can change default setting of both AP's and what I have to modify in ethernet router setting.
By default setting (without any change) LAN connection is working properly but I have two separate wifi and both of them are not stable (connection speed is very low or losing internet connection).
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Here are some points, that maybe useful for you.
1. First of all, get WinBox application from https://download2.mikrotik.com/routeros ... winbox.exe
2. Connect you cAP lite directly to your computer by LAN cable.
3. Run WinBox and click on "Neighbors" card.
4. At least 1 device should appear on the list. Click on the desired deivce and, make sure that the login and pass are correctly filled in (defaults is admin and no password) and click "Connect".
5. As your cAP Lite device will worl only as AP, you may reset all default config by: System > Reset Configuration > check CAPS Mode and confirm by clicking "Reset Configuration"
6. Do the same with your other cAP lite device.
7. Direct connect to your RB2011 and configure your CAP Manager. All information you canfind here https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CAPsMAN. There are also some videos available on youtube https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ovisioning

Why CAP Manager? Because it allows you to control all clients connected to different APs from one place (in your case it will be RB2011).

Good luck :)

konicek
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:37 pm

Thank you, matiaszon.
Steps 1-6 passed. Before CAPSMAN configuration I have tried upgrade all mikrotik devices to latest version (6.40.4) - it was written in as precondition in one youtube video as well as in one manual which I have read. After that I cannot connect to one CAP lite - in winbox I can see RB2011iL and one RBcAPL-2nD. The second one disappeared. I have tried connect directly via LAN cable also I have tried reset device by pressing reset button but still cannot connect.
Compare 1st CAP lite which is working with 2nd one which is not I can see that on 1st one lights power, ethernet and wifi LED lights BUT on the 2nd one lights power, AP/CAP and ethernet LED lights.
Do you anybody know what to do?
Thank you.

matiaszon

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 pm

If it lights power, you should be able to connect via MAC. Did you try to refresh list of neighbors? If so, try to reset it again but be careful, which way you are doing it...

konicek
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 pm

Yes, I tried refresh many times. Also MAC address but always I got a message "ERROR: could not connect to ... (IP address or MAC address)". Why do you think "be careful"? Do you mean during pressing reset button -> for how long (in seconds) button is pressed or something else?

matiaszon

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Yes, I tried refresh many times. Also MAC address but always I got a message "ERROR: could not connect to ... (IP address or MAC address)". Why do you think "be careful"? Do you mean during pressing reset button -> for how long (in seconds) button is pressed or something else?
Yes

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Reset_button
https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/cAP-L.pdf

konicek
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:00 pm

I am still not successful. I have tried all options - release Reset button when flashing diodes ethernet, wifi and CAP/AP. Release Reset button when flashing only CAP/AP button. Release Reset button when lighting ethernet and wifi diodes. Result is same -> after while seconds CAP/AP diodes is lightning again.. And I cannot connect to AP via IP address or MAC address. I have tried web browser as well as winbox. Also I have tried power AP from micro USB port instead of POE: I think that I am out of options...maybe one thing I can try -> reset main routerboard and also 2nd AP..but how this could help because AP is connected directly to laptop by LAN ethernet cable, I do not know.

matiaszon

Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 pm

I am still not successful. I have tried all options - release Reset button when flashing diodes ethernet, wifi and CAP/AP. Release Reset button when flashing only CAP/AP button. Release Reset button when lighting ethernet and wifi diodes. Result is same -> after while seconds CAP/AP diodes is lightning again.. And I cannot connect to AP via IP address or MAC address. I have tried web browser as well as winbox. Also I have tried power AP from micro USB port instead of POE: I think that I am out of options...maybe one thing I can try -> reset main routerboard and also 2nd AP..but how this could help because AP is connected directly to laptop by LAN ethernet cable, I do not know.
Why do you want to reset other devices? Can you access them via WinBox using MAC or is it the same situation as with the problematic one?

konicek
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:09 am

I do not want :) but as I said I do not know what to do and last idea which I have had is that AP should be influenced by second AP or/and ethernet router. But as I said...it does not make a sense but I have not any other idea what to do.

matiaszon

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:08 am

I do not want :) but as I said I do not know what to do and last idea which I have had is that AP should be influenced by second AP or/and ethernet router. But as I said...it does not make a sense but I have not any other idea what to do.
Do you have the same problems with other mikrotik devices, or can you access them via MAC when directly connected to your PC with a cable?

konicek
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 am

FYI: Netinstall helps - reinstall RouterOS...now I can see all my Mikrotik devices.