Community discussions

MikroTik App

sim75
just joined
Topic Author

Bridge mode

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi everybody,

I just bought a hEX router, and first of all, I would like to say how I'm impressed. The router interface is super responsive, quite easy, and the device boot and restart soooo fast. Great job!!!
I successfully configured my internet connection behind a ONT, and the network performances are incredible. I really love it!

My question is more practical, and my skills are quite limited. So I hope somebody can help me out there :

I have a Synology RT2600ac for the wireless. And now the hEX.

I would like to use the hEX for establishing the connection (ipv4/6 via my ISP's vlan / DHCP & auth). - I already did this part, no problem.

And behind, I would like to use the RT2600ac as a router (with local-DHCP managed by the RT2600ac), firewall, etc.
So the RT2600ac would have the same public IP (as hEX), and be aware of it.

Do you think it's possible ? Like a "bridge mode" in the hEX ?

Thanks so much,
Sim

matiaszon

Re: Bridge mode

Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

So the RT2600ac would have the same public IP (as hEX), and be aware of it.
What do you actually mean "the same public IP"? Could you make a diagram or something showing what do you want to achieve?

sim75
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Some ISP's routers offers what they call a "Bridge mode", so you activate it and you plug the ethernet (usually port 1) on the WAN of your own router, and it takes cares of DHCP, firewall and everything.

So there must be sort of a "DHCP server" that provides the Public IP without authentication (auto setting) on port 1.

I would like to do the same if possible.

Here is a schema I made :

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Bridge mode

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 am

Bridge mode on most SOHO routers just means that there is no NAT or DHCP server active, and all ports are simply bridged together, allowing the device behind it to provide routing services such as NAT and DHCP. You would want to do this, for example, if you wanted to add a wireless access point to a main router or modem that did not offer WiFi.

You can do this on the MikroTik, but if you want it to supply DHCP service that the main router would normally provide, you complicate things in a way that I’m not sure can be done, at least without a lot of complicated work.

As for the public IP, it ends where the NAT is performed, so if that happens in your main modem, it’s not going to be available anywhere else, short of port forwarding rules set up in your main modem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matiaszon

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 am

Can you tell us, what do you actually want to achieve? What kind of functionality? In your diagram I cannot see any role that MikroTik is doing. You can easily take it out and connect your Synology directly to your modem. I am guessing, that you maybe want to use Synology as an AP in your network. If so, you can set it up to a switch mode and that's it. All router features (DHCP, NAT, etc.) will be set up on MikroTik. But if so, why didn't you buy MikroTik with wi-fi, for example hAP ac?

Can't really understand what do you want to do, or I should say what for?

MrcS
just joined

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm

Just disable DHCP on RT2600 and instead of plugging the cable on the blue wan port, plug it into one of the lan yellow ports. There you go, got a bridge on RT2600.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

sim75
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Yes.. I think I'll do that. Use the Wireless router as an Access Point, and use the Mikrotik for the DHCP, firewall etc.

@matiaszon I bought the RT2600 2 months ago I think. I didn't knew Mikrotik at this time. It's not a bad router, so I'll keep it...

Thanks for your answers :)

Cheers
sim

matiaszon

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Yes.. I think I'll do that. Use the Wireless router as an Access Point, and use the Mikrotik for the DHCP, firewall etc.

@matiaszon I bought the RT2600 2 months ago I think. I didn't knew Mikrotik at this time. It's not a bad router, so I'll keep it...

Thanks for your answers :)

Cheers
sim
I think it's better than that synology ;)
I don't know how many APs you have in your network, but MikroTik allows you to configure CAPsMAN and control all APs (if they are MikroTiks too) from one place (for exmaple from the main router).

sim75
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Sounds nice! Can you tell me more about the speeds I can expect ?

I have an optic fiber connection. When I'm wired (ethernet), I can pretty much reach 950 mbit/s (dl) and 250 mbit/s (up).

With the RT2600, in WiFi 5ghz (160mhz), I reach between 600 mbit/s (sometimes, around 700).

What about Mikrotik APs ? Can I expect similar performances ; or, even better ?

matiaszon

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Synology RT2600ac works in 802.11ac standard. Look for "ac" products from MikroTik and you should be able to reach the same. Depending on your need and requirements you can use the following devices:

hAP ac Lite
hAP ac
hAP ac Lite Tower
wAP ac
the same wAP ac but in black color