Community discussions

MikroTik App

Borriez
just joined
Topic Author

Convert URL to static internal IPs

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 am

Good day everyone,
I am a new member to this forum, please let me know if I a posting at the wrong section.

We operate a WISP in a small town and everything "internet related" works great. With the help of a friend, running a massive WISP, we implemented OSPF routing in our network as well.
Unfortunately nowadays, our small town has a lot of criminal activity and our neighborhood-watch group decided to install security cameras throughout the town to help prevent crime.
We have 20 cameras installed and all of them are using the 10.1.1.x IP range. Our own "internet network" is using the 10.10.x.x IP Range for our IP Equipment and the clients are connected via DHCP to the 10.0.x.x network. On any device, I can access every CPE, IP Equipment and Camera.

With the 20 cameras, the residents each have access to the cameras by typing in the IP Address of the camera in their browsers, however remembering which IP is for which camera becomes a problem when reaching 20 devices.

My question, is there any way that a resident can type in something like "shop1.mymikrotik" to access internally ip address 10.1.1.1 for instance?
We do not want to use an external DDNS server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Borriez

MrcS
just joined

Re: Convert URL to static internal IPs

Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:55 pm

It all depends on which DNS server they are all using. If it's a mikrotik equipment, you can try using the static entries at IP>DNS.

But for more options, performance and uptime I would recommend setting up a linux server with Bind dns server. (Requires some research. Easy tutorials found online)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Convert URL to static internal IPs

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Own DNS-server makes sense. However, BIND is overkill for what you want to achieve.
dnsmasq will do the job; much easier to configure.