Community discussions

MikroTik App

eduardoha
just joined
Topic Author

Optimal config for NAS: swith or router?

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:06 am

Hi,
I have a NAS at home and I'd like to accelerate the connectivity between my computer and the NAS as much as possible. My router is a 2011UiAS-2HnD.
What would be the best way to accelerate the communication between my computer and my NAS? Would it make sense to put configure a couple of ports on my router as switch instead of router?
Thanks in advance

Falklan

Re: Optimal config for NAS: swith or router?

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:53 am

What is the make and model of your NAS?

matiaszon

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:14 am

Hi,
I have a NAS at home and I'd like to accelerate the connectivity between my computer and the NAS as much as possible. My router is a 2011UiAS-2HnD.
What would be the best way to accelerate the communication between my computer and my NAS? Would it make sense to put configure a couple of ports on my router as switch instead of router?
Thanks in advance
What is your NAS and actually what speeds do you get (by wifi and/or by cable)?

eduardoha
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:01 am

What is the make and model of your NAS?
It's a Synology DS213j NAS.

eduardoha
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:09 am

Hi,
Thanks in advance
What is your NAS and actually what speeds do you get (by wifi and/or by cable)?
It's a Synology DS213j NAS. I'm getting around 12MB/s (100Mbps) download speed connected by Ethernet. I am using ports Eth 2-5 Gigabit ports to physically connect both my computer and NAS (https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/Block ... S-2HnD.pdf). It looks like I'm hitting a 100Mbps limit somewhere.
On the NAS side, the Eth port is supposed to be Gigabit capable (https://global.download.synology.com/do ... et_enu.pdf)
On my computer side, it is also Gigabit capable according to the specs (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)) and manually configured to 1000Base-T.

Thanks!

nightcom

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:21 pm

In RB2011 only first five ports are Gigabit, rest is 100Mb. How is your NAS and PC connected? Second is traffic running thru switch chip? It looks like one of those two things

eduardoha
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:54 pm

In RB2011 only first five ports are Gigabit, rest is 100Mb. How is your NAS and PC connected? Second is traffic running thru switch chip? It looks like one of those two things
NAS on port Eth2. Computer on port Eth3, so both on Gigabit ports.
How can I check if traffic is going through switch chip? I believe my ports are not currently configured as switch. But how can I check?
Thanks a lot

Falklan

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:04 pm

You can also try the following Synology NAS optimization guide: http://blog.jeffcosta.com/2012/12/29/tu ... for-speed/
:D

nightcom

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:29 pm

How can I check if traffic is going through switch chip? I believe my ports are not currently configured as switch. But how can I check?
Thanks a lot
Check do you have "Master-port" and does other ports till eth5 connected to Master-port, below you got screen from my config in WinBox
masterport.PNG
On screen you see eth3 but all ports from 3 to 5 should have similar setup
There are two master ports because on this unit you got 2 switch chip's and If you want to bridge both chip's 1Gb and 100Mb then only software way (there is no wire connection between chip's) so it will use CPU.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eduardoha
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks a lot
Check do you have "Master-port" and does other ports till eth5 connected to Master-port, below you got screen from my config in WinBox
masterport.PNG
On screen you see eth3 but all ports from 3 to 5 should have similar setup
There are two master ports because on this unit you got 2 switch chip's and If you want to bridge both chip's 1Gb and 100Mb then only software way (there is no wire connection between chip's) so it will use CPU.
OK, so I checked and this is what I have:
Eth1: gateway, not slave. Master: none
Eth2 (NAS): slave. Master: none
Eth3 (PC): slave. Master: none
Eth4 (unused): slave. Master: none
Eth5: same as Eth4

My understanding is that none of these ports are configured in Switch mode. If they were, I would see the Master field pointing to another port among Eth1-5. Am I right?

Thanks again for your precious help.

eduardoha
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:48 pm

You can also try the following Synology NAS optimization guide: http://blog.jeffcosta.com/2012/12/29/tu ... for-speed/
:D
Thanks Falklan. I tried modifying the TCP parameters proposed by this NAS optimization guide but throughput actually became lower and less stable. So I kept it as it was before.
Regarding the service disabling, my NAS doesn't have the /usr/syno/etc/rc.d/ folder as proposed in the guide. So i couldn't try that.

nightcom

Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Here you have steps
viewtopic.php?t=63372#p344758