MikroTik App

Jorge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Groove disconnect

Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:31 am

Hello everybody.
I am newbie and a Frenchee so I'm askink you to be patient...
Here is my little problem: when I am connected to an access point, from my boat, everything works ok, depending of the signal that I receive.
The problem arises when there is no signal from the land, since there are many interferences, other boats, the swinging of the boat and so on.
In that case the wi-fi network stops, I mean that I cannot acces to my routerboard interface, by example to change access point.
The only way to do it is to pass thru my airport extrem that is connected to the routerboard whith a cable. In that case I can change the ap and it might work.
This cannot be done, even when there is a signal from my tablet: when I disconnect the access point, it freezes and I have to restart the groove.
I am using an ipad in wi-fi mode.
Thanks for your patience.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Groove disconnect

Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:11 pm

You need to provide more information about your configuration and whether you have a GrooveA (level 4 license) or a Groove (level 3 license) but it sound like you have your Groove set as bridge. For easy access and use you should have your Groove WLAN set as a DHCP Client and the Groove LAN set as a DHCP Server.

If your Groove has a level 3 license then all you need to do is to is reset it to factory defaults and it will be ready to use as a CPE with an access IP of 192.168.88.1

Jorge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks for the answer Pamela.
You helped me a lot when I was starting to set up that device.
It's level 4 licence.
Sorry for the delay, I am at sea sometimes...
The setup, as shown on the quickset page is in router mode.
I don't know if I express myself correctly: it works, perfectly but when there is no signal for my access point onshore, it cuts the wifi from the groove and I don't have any access (wireslly) to the setup page. I have to use an airport extrem that is connected (as a router)to the groove by the injector to be able to access the setup. I would like to avoid that since it draws a lot of current from the batteries.
Also, same problem to change setup, if by example the signal is weak, I cant't do it directly from my ipad, I have to pass thru the airport.
Thanks

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:35 pm

It sounds like you want wireless access to your Groove without using your airport extreme wireless router.

This may be possible if you set your Groove up as a "repeater". You'll find a "Setup Repeater" button in the wireless section that should start a wizard for the setup. I've never done this. You should know that if you are successful in the setup your internet connection will be slower than without it. Since most connections to boats are already relatively poor it may make them useless.

You are much better off using your Groove as a station and let the wireless router provide access to your Groove.

Jorge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:13 pm

A precision: the router (airport) doesn't connect to the access point. It's the groove that gives access to the router or to the inboard computers.
I do have internet access without the airport, as long as there is someone (the access point)at the other end. If the signal cuts from the land, or if I swing too much, or if there are to many boats in the way, I don’t catch the signal. If that happens, and it does often, it also cuts the wifi from the groove to the ipad. I wonder why, since it doesnt cut the wired connection to the airport, that I start in that case?
Thanks for your time.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:36 pm

If your Groove and airport are configured correctly then you will never lose the ability to access the Groove just because it is not connected to an AP onshore.

The Groove should be configured as a NAT/router. The Airport can be a bridge or a NAT/router.

Can you post a configuration from your Groove?

/export file=configuration

This terminal command will create a file called configuration.rsc in "Files" that can be downloaded to your computer and posted in this thread. It will give me the information on how your Groove is setup.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:59 pm

If your Groove and airport are configured correctly then you will never lose the ability to access the Groove just because it is not connected to an AP onshore.

The Groove should be configured as a NAT/router. The Airport can be a bridge or a NAT/router.

Can you post a configuration from your Groove?

/export file=configuration

This terminal command will create a file called configuration.rsc in "Files" that can be downloaded to your computer and posted in this thread. It will give me the information on how your Groove is setup.

Jorge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 am

Hello Pamela.
Here is one of the config:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
# aug/12/2017 16:19:04 by RouterOS 6.39.2
# software id = 26IM-08GW
#
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk eap-methods="" \
    group-ciphers=tkip mode=dynamic-keys unicast-ciphers=tkip
add authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk eap-methods="" group-ciphers=tkip \
    name=xxxx supplicant-identity="" unicast-ciphers=tkip
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=5ghz-a/n/ac channel-width=\
    20/40/80mhz-Ceee disabled=no frequency=auto nv2-security=enabled \
    security-profile=xxxx ssid="Wifi Hotspot"
add disabled=no keepalive-frames=disabled \
    master-interface=wlan1 max-station-count=5 multicast-buffering=disabled \
    name=wlan2 ssid=theboat wds-cost-range=0 wds-default-cost=0 \
    wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
/ip neighbor discovery
set wlan1 discover=no
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/ip pool
add name=dhcp ranges=192.168.88.3-192.168.88.254
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp disabled=no interface=bridge1 lease-time=1h10m name=\
    dhcp1
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan2
/ip settings
set rp-filter=strict tcp-syncookies=yes
/ip address
add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=ether1 network=192.168.88.0
/ip cloud
set ddns-enabled=yes
/ip cloud advanced
set use-local-address=yes
/ip dhcp-client
add comment=defconf dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=wlan1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=192.168.88.0/24 gateway=192.168.88.1 netmask=24
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes
/ip dns static
add address=192.168.88.1 name=router
/ip firewall filter
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" \
    connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related" \
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related" \
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" \
    connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop all from WAN" \
    in-interface=wlan1
add action=drop chain=forward comment=\
    "defconf: drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat \
    connection-state=new in-interface=wlan1
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="defconf: masquerade" log-prefix=\
    Masq out-interface=wlan1
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set api disabled=yes
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Paris
/tool mac-server
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add interface=ether1
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
add interface=ether1

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks for posting the configuration.

You are configured as a repeater and the problem you are having is because of this. The Station side is on wlan1 which is the master port and the AP-bridge is on wlan2; the virtual AP. When a connection is lost the repeater shuts down. Maybe you can set up a Connect List that will get the Station to reconnect to an AP. You would have to test this.

I set up a repeater on an RB951ui and when I cut off the source AP I lost the wireless connection. I tried to change the station to wlan2 but got an error message saying that the virtual interface could not be a Station.

As I said in an earlier post, a repeater is not a good configuration for a cruiser. Set your Groove as a Station and use a wireless router for your onboard wifi. Save power by switching any incandescent cabin lights to led if you haven't already. If you are online all day a router would probably consume less than 4 ah.

Jorge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:02 am

Thanks for the reply, Pamela.
Well, I will try to fo configure that. I am starting to scrach my head, wich is a bad sign. It means that I don't know how and where to start.
Of course I have enough electricity supply onbord, with the sun(my cat has a single outbord engine, so no charge to expect from that side)
I am just scared to go back on the original hassle again, but this time i can go back to where I am, at list.
Thanks again

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Jorge,

I've attached a script that will set your Groove ac up as a basic CPE. If you choose to use it it will make the following changes:
LAN Static IP = 192.168.221.20
DHCP server gives out IP = 192.168.221.50-192.168.221.149
ether1 is LAN
wlan1 is WAN
country = united states3

You will want to change the country and add a login password. You may also want to create a custom scan list in the Wireless/Channels tab with your countries legal 2.4ghz channels and 5Ghz channels. This will allow the scan window on the Quick Set page to show the availability of both frequencies at the same time.

If you choose to try the script please be sure you've made a backup file that is stored in flash/ on your Groove so you can easily return to your current configuration.

You should upgrade to rOS v6.41 and upgrade the routerboot in System->Routerboard if necessary before using this script. After the upgrade to v6.41 you will probably find that Winbox won't let you login using the MAC address; you will have to use the IP address. If you do a factory reset after you login using the IP Winbox should work as normal with the MAC address.

Move the script file into the "flash/" folder in "Files".
Go to System->Reset and check mark "No Default Configuration" and "Do Not Backup" then open the "Run After Reset" box and choose "flash/cpe-ac-6.41.rsc".
Click the "Reset configuration" button and agree to reset and reboot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jorge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:41 am

Thanks Pamela.
I'll try that tomorrow. Since the script I posted was written, I upgraded to the last version, I do that all the time, just in case there would be a bug, bigger than me...
I let you know after it's done.
Good evening.
Jorge
PS: I tried this setup, this morning, and could't have the wireless working properly. I guess I missed something in the settings.
Thanks
Jorge