Community discussions

MikroTik App

gears177
just joined
Topic Author

No internet access

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Hey guys what's up just got my first mikrotik router and I'm impressed by everything this thing can do took me a good hour to just look through all the option and familiarize myself with them I am having an issue though I ordered a cable modem and a router.

Modem
ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1
Router
Mikrotik Routerboard RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

I hooked the modem up to Port eth1 and tried connecting to the internet via wired and wireless and both win10 devices and I'm getting connected but no internet when I check DHCP it just says searching I used the quick setup and it's set as a wisp AP I've tried Home AP as well. When I connect to the modem through wired I have a full connection is there anything special I need to do for a cable modem to work? My ISP is COX and I've tried asking them for their DHCP and DNS servers but they refused to give them to me. So I tried using NSLOOKUP and NET USE to find what my modem was using for a DHCP and DNS server and used them statically on the mikrotik router but I still wasn't able to connect any suggestions on what I could do to get this up and running? Thanks again any help is appreciated.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: No internet access

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm not familiar with specifics of 2011, but ...
in default configuration one port should be internet uplink, usually ether1. When you login on WinBox you'll be able to identify it by dhcp client being configured for it, under /ip/dhcp client. DHCP
In Home AP, there will be standard mascarade setup on that port.

You don't need any data from ISP, it's all provided by dhcp service and configured by your client.

gears177
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Yeah for some reason it wasn't grabbing it automatically from the modem it was connected to. Hooking a laptop up to the modem and finds ng the DHCP and DNS servers it was using worked out fine the second time. Thanks again all is fine.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Happy it's working for you.

As a side note, in the past I've had cases with cable modems that would remember the mac of bound interface and would reject any other traffic. hence if you tried with laptop, it could have remembered it, and rejected RB. Resetting modem solved it for me in the past.

hlev80
just joined

Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 am

Adding an additional sidenote to sebastia's response, sometimes the ISP as well keeps a record of the MAC the internet connection was initially setup for.
In such cases the router has to be configured to clone the MAC of the device first connected (laptop/PC/etc.)