Community discussions

MikroTik App

khialb32
Topic Author

how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !(with diagram )  [SOLVED]

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:52 am

hello guys , i wish i can explain this well ,
i have a Wi-Fi access point , and i am connected to the modem with ethernet , i wanted to have my friend's internet so i made him connect to the AP and set my default gateway the ip address of my friend ( who is connected to the AP ) , the thing now , i connected an ethernet cable to my RB2011 routerboard , ( like a router on a trunk ) and i used the ip address of the router as a default gateway ,
like this i suppose the packet will go to the router and get routed to the IP address which has internet ( instead of going directly through the " switch with the AP " ) , but i couldn't limit the download speed , what as i see as a problem is that the upload goes through the routerboard , but the packets coming from the internet ( as they have an IP inside the network ) they go directly ( without passing by the routerboard ) to the NIC , do you think that this can be solved , and how can i do so ? please tell me if you find this a stupid thing and you can see some thing that i dont understand , ( by the way the AP is on the roof and i cant take the routerboard to the roof thats why i am doing this ) . thank you all
Last edited by khialb32 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LucZWFM
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:01 am

"how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !"

IP's within the same network doesn't need any routing...

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 am

Post a diagram with all the devices involved at your side up to the AP, will help us to help you.

khialb32
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:04 pm

"how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !"

IP's within the same network doesn't need any routing...
yes i see that sir , but i want that to limit the bandwidth between IPs in the same network

LucZWFM
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:10 am

Just put a queue on the IP that you want to limit...

khialb32
Topic Author

Re: how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !(with diagram )

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 pm

i posted the diagram , i wish some body helps

acruhl

Re: how to route packets from an ip in a network to an other ip in the same network !(with diagram )

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:20 am

I don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish with this diagram. I'm guessing the "MikroTik router" is not acting as a router otherwise you wouldn't have 192.168.2.0/24 on both sides of it.

As long as you don't mind double NAT, what I would do is plug the cable coming down from your access point into the WAN port of the MikroTik, and then plug in the computers below the MikroTik doing NAT with some other subnet. Problem solved. Use simple queues to limit the PCs if you want.

khialb32
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish with this diagram. I'm guessing the "MikroTik router" is not acting as a router otherwise you wouldn't have 192.168.2.0/24 on both sides of it.

As long as you don't mind double NAT, what I would do is plug the cable coming down from your access point into the WAN port of the MikroTik, and then plug in the computers below the MikroTik doing NAT with some other subnet. Problem solved. Use simple queues to limit the PCs if you want.
what i want to do , i dont want PCs to send packets directly through the WIFI , i want it to pass first by the router , the PCs will be attached to the switch , and they will send packets to the mikrotik router
that will route them to the wireless client , they are all in the same network , they can easily access the internet , i just want them to pass by the router . so i can control it , thats all

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Disable default forward on wireless config

khialb32
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:14 pm

Disable default forward on wireless config
bro there is no default routing ,the one on the roof in the diagram is used just as a router , no more , the routing is on the pc with the wifi access to the AP